Newbie mistakes fallout 3 version

orctor

in all my playthroughs of Fallout3 i had never ever been to Takoma Park or Takoma Industrial.

it has always been my "blind spot" in the game.

before playing Mothership Zeta,

i made a special effort to go to Takoma at last (level 33).

after the usual failing to find the way, i used the wikia maps to finally crack it.

arriving in Takoma after all this time was a very memorable experience, reminiscent of an epic journey.

I have like 150+ total hours played in this game and have STILL never been to Takoma lol...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was this buliding that had a domino like trap but it ended up dropping lots of bombs and i died

i tried to kill a deathclaw at level 2

i didnt know bout the pip-boy light but i play on full brightness anyway

i awalys killed myself with a fatman

at first i didnt know about the map and didnt know where to go i seriously always got lost and wherever i went i still got killed :[

- I didn't know how to work the compass -that aligning quest markers with the static needle would get me where I needed to go.

- I tried to climb piles of rubble, hoping I'd be able to jump over the top and get into tthe area I wanted to go; only to find myself flailing against an invisible wall that kept me from moving across to the other side.

- When following a map marker I never used both compass AND map, frustrating me, when I thought I'd been sent into a metro tunnel only to find the marker pointing back at the tunnel entrance.

- Trying to get close to Yao Guai's and Deathclaws to kill them with a decrepit hunting rifle.

- Firing a Fatman inside confined space.

- Charming the poor man who was hiding from the mad prophet ("Why did we put the sun into a jar... the worm, the worm") into walking towards the mad prophet to have a talk with him and me staying put to see what would happen; why didn't I leg it and watch from a safer distance?

- Using VATS to snipe a raider or Super Mutant -or worse, a Deathclaw- only to watch in horror as I fire round after round into the rocks I'm hiding behind. And yes, that would alert my enemies, so I'd be toast.

- Tossing a grenade at a bunch of Feral ghouls, but not thinking the hiss of a gasleak or the many swirling fumes dancing around me would indicate I'm not in a safe place to use any kind of incendiary device -and then I'd get burned.

- Using a couple of frag mines as a backup when failing to kill a Nest Guardian Fire Ant with a couple of shots; Simply run back, the Guardian follows and ka-boom, right? Turns out I send TWO Nest Guardians into a frenzy and they kill off the Queen at Marigold Station Hatchery, so I completely flunked Doc Lesko's Quest.

- Shooting a car near a super mutant hoping it will blast it to shreds; and then finding out the hard way that it already is a burnt-out wreck, it's not going to explode a second time.

- Meeting those Talon Mercs head-on and not ducking for cover.

- Using a pulse mine against a Mister Handy; that's the last time I'll ever do that!

- Not knowing that pulse grenades can also take out gun turrets and thus risking to get shredded by running from room to room (having failed to hack the console that could have shut it down).

- Failing to change back into my Combat Armor, after using my Vault Utility Suit to boost my lockpicking skill to crack a lock (or to boost my repair skill, so I can deal with being overencumbered) and then getting attacked by whatever group of enemies.

- Accidentally hitting my Activate button when my crosshairs are over some Red Flagged goodies.

- Trying to take down Lucas Simms at my first dialogue with him.

- Shooting Moriarty in his back room with an unsilenced fire-arm.

- At the Friendship/Farragut Station entrance, there's some staits at the river that leads to some Raiders and their stash. I killed the raiders while they were fighting the super mutants across the river then tried to steal their stash. I never made it out alive; a missile launcher that has you pinned in will ultimately grind you down.

- Laying down frag mines across the bridge of Bigtown to help fend off the super mutants, while the mutants are initiating their assault. One of the Bigtown people -Flash I believe- stormed across the bridge to meet them head on; boy, that wasn't pretty.

- Failing to take down a Mirelirk that comes rushing towards me.

- Failing to properly place my crosshairs over a tripwire to disarm it and instead activating the door, then being pushed over the threshold, through the tripwire and BANG.

- Failing to see a beartrap and having to waste a stimpak to heal such a wound.

- Failing to save on a regular basis and then getting killed by whatever force -or the game crashes to desktop.

- Not turning off my pipboy light after some explorations and letting enemies home in on the lightsource.

- Activating a metro Protectron without having a metro tricket.

- Not switching weapons when an enemy from afar manages to get up close and personal; or vice versa, trying to kill a faraway enemy with a shotgun.

- In 1stperson mode not moving back to a crouch after jumping over to a ledge and thus no longer reaping the benefits of sneaking.

- Stumbling into a whole nest of Radscorpions. (Ouch!)

- Failing to keep tabs on my acquired rads -through food, dirty water, whatever- and suffering the penalties to my SPECIAL attributes and inevatibly being less effective in killing enemies and thus ending up dead.

- Not crouching when going off a precicipice (you get more damaged or more easily killed when you leap off a cliff not being crouched).

- Targetting a Super Mutants head, when blasting his missile launcher to smithereens would probably have kept me alive.

- Waltzing in to Paradise Falls to rescue those poor kids without stealthboys or proper armor.

- Failing to perform a perimeter sweep of the German Town Police HQ -thus letting too many nearby Super Muties live who subsequently kill off Red and Shorty. Or not giving Red and Shorty some form of better armor -I usually carry some Raider's armors with me for repair purposes. giving them even such flimsy armors can keep them alive just long enough.

- Failure to clear the way between Bigtown and German Town of enemies before rescuing Red and Shorty.

- Trying to kill Roaches in the German Town Basement, letting Shorty to get killed.

- Fast Travelling -not being crouched- to a location where enemies respawn; Mason/Dixon Shacks come to mind.

- Being too fixed on outmanoeuvring a pair of Raiders, that I completely neglect to sweep for enemies as I try to outflank my initial opponents.

- Failure to let Raiders and Super Mutants finish their fights, so I only have to pick off the wounded survivors.

- Not holstering a weapon when moving through Rivet City and accidentally slamming my fire button at an inconvenient moment, i.e. I shoot someone.

- Failure to notice frag mines that are not on the floor but on top of a box or crate.

- Failure to take out a Glowing One before targetting other Feral ghouls.

And lots and lots more.

• 2 weeks later...

Dying? That's a pretty big mistake. I can proudly say that I died less than five times throughout the countless hours of playing due to my investment in perception and agility.

Nowadays I just use stealthboys to sneak around and planting frag mines in ppl's pockets and watch them blow up. No fight, just funny dialogue - especially Point Lookout's Swampfolks ones.

#1: (And biggest... >.<) Playing and finishing it on the XBox 360 and Playstation 3 before starting it on the PC...

#2: The Gas leak and car tricks that seem so popular here... >.<

#3: got lost on the way to megaton from the vault... wound up fighting super mutants near rivet city... to this day I still don't know how I did this...

#4: Thought Alien Power Cells wouldn't be rare and found out how fun it was to take down Death Claws with it...

Ok so not something I did but a mate of mine was going past a metro exit and saw a bright flaming thing fall from the sky... he just said mehh and walked away...

#3: got lost on the way to megaton from the vault... wound up fighting super mutants near rivet city... to this day I still don't know how I did this...

That is pretty impressive :ohmy: Although the 1st time I played I did wander around in the dark leaving Vault 101 until I realized I could wait until daylight.

• 2 weeks later...

Not noticing gas leaks. The amount of times I've walked into one, with Flamer at hand, and got seriously singed.

Throwing mines down whilst being chased by an Albino Radscorpion. Mines did more damage to me, and crippled both legs, meaning it became faster than me.

And finally, believing that the Enclave were the good guys and the Brotherhood were the bad guys for 75% of my first playthrough.

1: Not realising I had a pip-boy light.

2: Running into super-duper mart unarmed and no skill in hand-to-hand.

3: Not realising you could fast travel.

4: Blowing up Megaton, before talking to Moriatry about dad.

5: Thinking the hunting rifle was amazig, then wandering through aa metro to find loads of ghouls, and trying to use my rifle.

6: Never buying stim-packs since they cost so much.

7: Attempting to shoot a mine to disarm it.

8: Taking dogmeat through Minefield... he's dead now...

9: Not repairing my weapons and armour.

10: Activating MMM before I was even level 5... those deathclaw young are frickin hard to kill with a 10mm pistol!

Bout it...

1# bought the game for 360 before pc.

2# used cheats on the first play-through

3# none.\

4# murdered someone in a city using my amazing stealth skills, i came out of th2e house as usual, not knowing the whole city knew about the event already. o_O

aside from these, I quit noobism 2 years ago. :D