Skyrim CTD with SKSE

mdaley1992

I bought a new gaming rig a few days ago, and installed skyrim legendary edition via steam, everything is patched up to date, both official and unofficial patches.

I downloaded and installed SKSE so that i could use skyUI. SKSE is installed via an installer.

I'm running my mods through NMM, my mod list is:

all legendary edition esm files

official patch

all unofficial patches

skyUI

Frostfall

realistic needs and diseases

immersive weapons

immersive armours

Everything was running fine for a while, then i started having random crashes and system reboots during gameplay, ive checked all my hardware specs and everything is above board and has all the latest drivers installed.

Ive noticed crashes during:

- Gameplay, after roughly one minute of gameplay i'll CTD with no error messages

- Sometimes the PC will reboot at random when starting up NMM

- PC has rebooted occasionally after trying to get back into skyrim after a CTD

- Crash when using SKSE loader without steam being active (i realise that steam needs to be active, and understand thats why i got the crash, only happened once when i got forgetful)

I'm not exactly new to modding, but i'd love some advice/help. Ive followed read me's and instructions down to the letter so im a bit confused what the problem might be.

Originally I thought it was because i tried to launch SKSE loader without having steam acive, but this only happened once.

Well i thought that, ive played some other games from my steam library, nothing as taxing as skyrim though, however i got no crashes playing vanilla skyrim.

The PC is a PRYON GFX-8332

I did just notice in my PC's action center it has noted a couple of ATI driver failures, im assuming from when i had the crashes. Also, im my recovery centers advanced settings, i saw that the pc is automatically set to restart upon any system failures. so id say the reboot's have to do with that.

Ive seen that a lot of people have had trouble with crashes around SKSE.

I've never come across someone with a case of SKSE messing something up so I very much doubt that it's SKSE. However, make sure you are using the latest build of SKSE, which is 1.6.16, and not the alpha build.

From what you said, I'm quite certain that you have the wrong drivers, or they are corrupt. Go here and check that you have the current drivers for your GPU; if you already do, uninstall them and reinstall.

It may also be worth seeing if anything is overheating.

I would also contact whoever you bought your PC from and see what they have to say.

Edited by ShenziSixaxis

Yeah i had the latest skse, i just uninstalled all mods, NMM and started a completely clean skyrim install.

i had just re installed NNM and got the random system reboot again...... action center mentioned driver again. so yeah im going to try and see if ive missed a driver update

After you update your drivers, if the problem persists, if you are using the latest SKSE 1.7 alpha, try using the 1.6.16.

I have never heard of any stable SKSE releases causing ANY issues at all, except the deliberately implemented failure to run the game after a new Skyrim patch until SKSE was updated, in order to prevent possible save corruption etc.

Also, launch Steam before starting the game with SKSE, or there's a chance the Vanilla splash panel will re-order some of your mods.

~.~

Thanks for the help thus far, ive reinstalled and updated my GPU drivers. and ive been slowly re introducing mods, and seeing if they have any effect.

after reinstalling frostfall and playing i got a ctd, so ive removed that one. cool mod but i guess i can live without

after reinstalling frostfall and playing i got a ctd, so ive removed that one. cool mod but i guess i can live without

A single CTD, so you removed Frostfall? I have been using it for well over a year with no problem.

How long did you play?

Did you enable it in MCM?

Did you sort your load order with BOSS?

Did you start a new game for these tests or use an old save?

Sadly, it may be your PC configuration.

~

P.S.

It could be overheating - try MSI Afterburner and configure the speed graph to run the fans at 20% max rpm at 20ºC, and increment by 1% per 1ºC. My Radeon HD7970 never gets above 60ºC and Skyrim is a hot game. Without the fans it hits 95ºC within a few minutes.

Another thing that can cause CTDs, blue screens and reboots is overclocking the cpu and card. It's a safety feature to prevent damage from heat, incorrect voltages etc.

My MB and card have special utilities to overclock "safely", but it caused me all sorts of similar problems with no noticeable improvement in graphics quality or performance.

~

I got about a minutes worth of play before the CTD, I was running it without SkyUI, so no MCM, and no i didnt have BOSS, but am meaning to get it.

I guess im just trying to be cautious, im not a super tech savvy person like a lot of PC owners, so this might sound silly but i was worried all the reboots and ctd's would damage software and corrupt files.

(update - since reinstalling and updating my GPU drivers the reboots have stopped)

My PC configuration? how so?

Thanks for the other info regarding the overheating stuff. My processor is overclocked from factory, and my GPU is a R7 260X OC edition haha.

When i bought the PC i did make sure to ask about all of the cooling, its got a Water cooling system, as well as a good set of fans, so hopefully its not a heat issue.

i'll get on to afterburner and have a look at what you suggested.