* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor

* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card

* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

* 8x DVD-ROM drive

* 4.6 GB free hard disk space

* DirectX 9.0c (included)

* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card

* Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets: (Maybe listed a few years ago, but I think there are lots of new chipsets that are supported)

* ATI X1900 series

* ATI X1800 series

* ATI X1600 series

* ATI X1300 series

* ATI X850 series

* ATI x800 series

* ATI x700 series

* ATI x600 series

* ATI Radeon 9800 series

* ATI Radeon 9700 series

* ATI Radeon 9600 series

* ATI Radeon 9500 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

* NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

* NVIDIA GeForce FX series

I say to achieve the maximum power, especially with mods upgrades, we need to have more than that. I take them from Bethesda's site. Maybe they don't update the list recently.

The minimum requirements will play the game, but with a low FPS and lowest graphics settings. And probably with all audio turned off. The recommended will get you medium low graphics, a better FPS and the audio.

If your computer has built in Video and audio on the motherboard, you will need more RAM as the system RAM must be shared with Video and audio. Many Laptops and some all in one desktops do not have compatible Video built in.

Increasing the RAM to 2 G will get an improvement in FPS. 3G Ram is better still. The improvement from 3G to 4G on a 32 bit System is minimal.

A separate audio card helps on FPS also

A better Video card will allow playing with higher video settings

The minimum requirements will play the game, but with a low FPS and lowest graphics settings. And probably with all audio turned off. The recommended will get you medium low graphics, a better FPS and the audio.
Really ? I can play the game with ATI x200 and 512MB RAM. (Yeah, a total nightmare, but still enjoys it.)

If your computer has built in Video and audio on the motherboard, you will need more RAM as the system RAM must be shared with Video and audio. Many Laptops and some all in one desktops do not have compatible Video built in.

Increasing the RAM to 2 G will get an improvement in FPS. 3G Ram is better still. The improvement from 3G to 4G on a 32 bit System is minimal.

A separate audio card helps on FPS also

A better Video card will allow playing with higher video settings

Not entirely true. All those things help, of course, but Oblivion is a very graphics-heavy game, and actually puts relatively little stress on cpu and RAM - so long as you have a good enough graphics card, and otherwise meet the recommended requirements, you should have no problems running it at full settings.

Just for reference, I have 1gb RAM, a 3ghz P4 processor, onboard sound, and a Geforce 8500GT 512mb, and I can play the game at max settings, with QTP3 installed.

I can actually play more modern games like Mirror's Edge (another graphics-heavy game) on medium settings with this setup too, but ones which need cpu and ram more than graphics power suffer. I can barely run World in Conflict on minimum settings, for example. And on minimum settings, the game is pretty much unplayable.

Actually it is both, i had a horrible time trying to play fall out or even Oblivion at decent frames with my old 8800gts, with 320mb ram, and it was lagging and stuttering like you wouldn't believe, and that was considered a high end card, but it wasn't. You with anything lower would be able to play those games but not to medium high setting, maybe medium to low settings if you wanted it playable, even older my 7800gs with 256mb card, funny enough played oblivion fine maxed out, maybe because it was one of the last cards that Oblivion recognized by default.

Edit