Affordable Care Act is not a job killer according to the CBO?

colourwheel

Recently The Right wing media has gone on a frenzy about the new CBO report about The Affordable care Act and how it will "presumably" kill jobs. All you will hear from the these media sources is how The ACA will cause 2 million to 2.5 million jobs being lost over the next seven-year period according to the CBO report.

What is funny is actually the CBO report is stating that people won't be losing their jobs but people will actually be purposely dropping out of the job force due to not needing to work as much or needing to working two jobs. This is due to the fact people won't need to depend on being locked into working a job just for the sole purpose of needing health insurance. From what I have gathered the reason why this will cause employers needing to pay their employees a little more is just an incentive to keep them from wanting to leave.

"Also, the CBO reduced its estimate of the net cost of the ACA by $9 billion through 2024, in part because of the number of states that have refused to implement the law's Medicaid expansions. And the CBO still maintains that, over the 10-year window of its analysis, the ACA will reduce the federal deficit. In fact, that trend is expected to increase in subsequent years, with the ACA leading to greater deficit reduction."

"Finally, according to the CBO report, "On balance, the CBO estimates that the ACA will boost overall demand for goods and services over the next few years ... the net increase in demand for goods and services will in turn boost the demand for labor over the next few years." In everyday language, that means the ACA will boost the economy and, in turn, create jobs."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-semro/affordable-care-act-a-job_b_4741300.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Why would anyone be so upset at this?

Edited by colourwheel

Recently The Right wing media has gone on a frenzy about the new CBO report about The Affordable care Act and how it will "presumably" kill jobs. All you will hear from the these media sources is how The ACA will cause 2 million to 2.5 million jobs being lost over the next seven-year period according to the CBO report.

What is funny is actually the CBO report is stating that people won't be losing their jobs but people will actually be purposely dropping out of the job force due to not needing to work as much or needing to working two jobs. This is due to the fact people won't need to depend on being locked into working a job just for the sole purpose of needing health insurance. From what I have gathered the reason why this will cause employers needing to pay their employees a little more is just an incentive to keep them from wanting to leave.

"Also, the CBO reduced its estimate of the net cost of the ACA by $9 billion through 2024, in part because of the number of states that have refused to implement the law's Medicaid expansions. And the CBO still maintains that, over the 10-year window of its analysis, the ACA will reduce the federal deficit. In fact, that trend is expected to increase in subsequent years, with the ACA leading to greater deficit reduction."

"Finally, according to the CBO report, "On balance, the CBO estimates that the ACA will boost overall demand for goods and services over the next few years ... the net increase in demand for goods and services will in turn boost the demand for labor over the next few years." In everyday language, that means the ACA will boost the economy and, in turn, create jobs."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-semro/affordable-care-act-a-job_b_4741300.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Why would anyone be so upset at this?

Right. And we all know that these guys predictions are always accurate........ oh, wait, that's right, they are usually WRONG, and are basically just another propaganda wing of our government.

Both sides feel a need to diseminate their propaganda. Neither side feels any compunction about lieing. In fact, both sides seem quite incapable of speaking anything even remotely resembling the truth. They all put their assorted spin on things. Even when what they are saying is easily proven to be false. It isn't just a right wing/left wing thing. Its ALL of them. Even more so of late, when it seems that making sure that the current adminstration can't do ANYTHING that might possibly help the country.... Seems to be more important to discredit/obstruct the other side, than to get our country moving in the right direction again. I think the biggest problem there though is, the respective ideas of the 'right direction' are pretty much polar opposites. I don't see that changing any time soon.

@HeyYou

I will have to just strongly disagree with you. The discredit and obstruction is not even equivalent coming from both sides. Although there has always been historically resistances from the political opposition when ever there is either a Democrat or Republican president, you can't seriously think there being equal obstruction of government. About one third of the Republicans in congressional office don't even believe in government.

Edited by colourwheel

@HeyYou

I will have to just strongly disagree with you. The discredit and obstruction is not even equivalent coming from both sides.

Objective journalism isn't really supposed to have "sides". You readily admit that you are getting your information from media sources that belong to one "side", and blasting the other "side" for being....biased?!?!

If your preferred news sources can be described as coming from a particular "side" of any given issue then that source is biased, and should not be considered a true news source. MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN produce about 95% editorial content. I would BARELY consider them legitimate news sources. If any of those infotainment productions were to submit a transcript of their broadcast to a Journalism 101 class for critique the professor would fail them all for their complete disregard of anything resembling journalistic ethics.

Edited by TRoaches

Objective journalism isn't really supposed to have "sides". You readily admit that you are getting your information from media sources that belong to one "side", and blasting the other "side" for being....biased?!?!

If your preferred news sources can be described as coming from a particular "side" of any given issue then that source is biased, and should not be considered a true news source. MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN produce about 95% editorial content. I would BARELY consider them legitimate news sources. If any of those infotainment productions were to submit a transcript of their broadcast to a Journalism 101 class for critique the professor would fail them all for their complete disregard of anything resembling journalistic ethics.

If you really want to get specific into the actual raw data and info you only need to look over the source any editorial or media outlet relies on to make your own conclusion. Don't take my word for anything just try to understand the info yourself....

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul-ryan-gop-job-losses

Why would it be horrible not needing to work as much or hold two jobs to be able to afford health insurance if your in the lower income bracket? I mean this seems to be a good thing to me, especially to those who hold onto a job specifically just to get healthcare benefits. Meaning because of the new law some people won't actually need the extra job or hours working anymore and could spend the time either with family or seek higher education or even pursue their own business.....

Edited by colourwheel

I can't even express how uninterested I am in browsing a 170 page CBO report so I'll just ask you: On what page does it say that the ACA will reduce the deficit, boost the economy, and create jobs?

Also, why do you consider it a good thing that people will be "purposely dropping out of jobs"? Because that sounds, to me, like a very bad thing.

"My government takes care of me so I don't need to work.", said no successful, productive, or innovative person, ever.

I can't even express how uninterested I am in browsing a 170 page CBO report so I'll just ask you: On what page does it say that the ACA will reduce the deficit, boost the economy, and create jobs?

If your not going to take the time to look over the data I hardly see a reason to expect me to re-read the entire thing I posted just for you to point out something you can read yourself. I honestly don't remember which pages they are located on...

Also, why do you consider it a good thing that people will be "purposely dropping out of jobs"? Because that sounds, to me, like a very bad thing.

It's good because people won't need to work anymore specifically just to keep a job that provides them health insurance. It use to be about 2 million people who work in the lower income bracket worked specifically to just get health care benefits provided by an employer. These people who don't necessarily need to work just for the income can just quit the job where as they have other means of income through a spouse or else where. Meaning they only need to work just a part time or even quit their current job. This gives these people more time to spend with family, attend college, or even spend time to start their own business.... These people wouldn't just stop working all together if they didn't have some sort of income to supplement their family...

Edited by colourwheel