The End of the World is Nigh, We're all Doomed!!!

LordTenaim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are truly as smart as we think, then most of our daily efforts would be steered towards finding a new planet, or celestial body to inhabit. Considering the fact that our entire GALAXY is on a collision course with the neighboring GALAXY, only means that we should speed up the pace. We are however, an indulgent species; thinking only of sex, wealth, and every other arbitrary value known to, or created by "man". If we are doomed, then it is because we cannot overcome our own inhibitions.

If we are truly as smart as we think, then most of our daily efforts would be steered towards finding a new planet, or celestial body to inhabit. Considering the fact that our entire GALAXY is on a collision course with the neighboring GALAXY, only means that we should speed up the pace. We are however, an indulgent species; thinking only of sex, wealth, and every other arbitrary value known to, or created by "man". If we are doomed, then it is because we cannot overcome our own inhibitions.

What makes you think scientists haven't been searching for an Earth-like planet? Finding a planet with the right conditions to sustain life aren't that easy; neither is interplanetary travel or terraforming. Also, our closest neighbouring galaxy, Canis Major is over 25000 light years away. How do you propose we reach it, even IF it had an Earth-like planet?

Saving our own planet, even to if only to prolong it's death, is a much more worth-while goal than searching blindly for a planet we might never reach.

It is because we cannot overcome our own inhibitions.

Here are Some Inhibiting Word's >>>>> "What makes you think" <<<<< scientists haven't been searching for an Earth-like planet? Finding a planet with the right conditions to sustain life aren't that easy; neither is interplanetary travel or terraforming. Also, our closest neighbouring galaxy, Canis Major is over 25000 light years away. How do you propose we reach it, even IF it had an Earth-like planet?

Saving our own planet, even to if only to prolong it's death, is a much more worth-while goal than searching blindly for a planet we might never reach.

What a turn off of mental attitude I had when I first read them. It was like I drove up to a bridge is out sign and there were a bunch of men in science frocks so I figured I may as well forget about writing down any more about what I have learned or thoughts that thinking have aroused.

I may as well turn around and go home and forget about trying to help solve the problem's we are all discussing here in some way.

After that short blast of discouraging word's, "What makes you think" even included in the sentence the way they were, I felt like running away.

As to what species5478 was including with words I tend to agree on some. Instead of head banging WE need to gather our intellect together and work together here to employ our skills to create solutions we can test. Things we can make from our combined efforts and put them together as an ongoing experiment too. Do them in our own space if we aren't close enough to each other to do them together. Too see if we get the same result's. Result's we can report back here to each. other.

Otherwise we may as well end this discussion, although we can go back and play our video game as before we would have a serious group who may, I say, may find an answer to help fix or repair problems which scientists over look because they are to busy to listen to us inhibited. :bunny: 's

[attacking me instead of my argument]

As to what species5478 was including with words I tend to agree on some. Instead of head banging WE need to gather our intellect together and work together here to employ our skills to create solutions we can test. Things we can make from our combined efforts and put them together as an ongoing experiment too. Do them in our own space if we aren't close enough to each other to do them together. Too see if we get the same result's. Result's we can report back here to each. other.

Otherwise we may as well end this discussion, although we can go back and play our video game as before we would have a serious group who may, I say, may find an answer to help fix or repair problems which scientists over look because they are to busy to listen to us inhibited. :bunny: 's

Yeah because there are no people, past or present, no agencies in the US or anywhere else in existence working for everything you said. You want an 'ongoing experiment'? How about this one? Or this one? Or this? Because there haven't been any technological advances at all in space exploration or travel.

I could keep going on for ages linking to the accomplishments that have been born from such research. I'll ask you again; what makes you think scientists haven't been working on it? Your ignorance of scientific process and of a whole branch of science itself is astonishing.

[attacking me instead of my argument]

Yeah because there are no people, past or present, no agencies in the US or anywhere else in existence working for everything you said. You want an 'ongoing experiment'? How about this one? Or this one? Or this? Because there haven't been any technological advances at all in space exploration or travel.

I could keep going on for ages linking to the accomplishments that have been born from such research. I'll ask you again; what makes you think scientists haven't been working on it? Your ignorance of scientific process and of a whole branch of science itself is astonishing.

Thanks :thumbsup: for the links. :biggrin: National Space Society is another one I found you can add to your feather's in your cap. They should come in very handy for US and anyone that drops in and is eager to learn about those places. For the rest of us there are thing's we could be talking about that are just as important on a human level we could be incorporating into this post.

It might inspire other people's young to get involved in project's outside of "school" if we ere all eagerly pursuing such project's.

I have already spent part my life surfing those links to find a niche where I could work and to find people I could hang out with when I was off work. I just can't seem to get used to not working. I even pick video game's that are like, "On the Job Training" to play. Therapy Maybe?

:wallbash:

Unfortunately, I'm not on any of those projects. Are you?! I joined several groups over the years. Because of disabling health conditions I can only spend time with other's on the Internet these days. I can't seem to help it, but once in awhile I actually have a flagging interest in helping others. When I do I also get stupid and think I can start a new relationship with some female. :wallbash:

As I see my disability as a challenge I have been rejected by groups because they can't even fathom the slightest part of the diagnosis. And neither could I, at first. So now I remind myself, "What do I need to know before I take the next step toward my own destination?" That keep's me searching for some clue for How I might actually help others, but it doesn't unlock the doors to the places of study, "Universities and such" so I can further my own scientific pursuit for a cure or at least a managing process.

We could be using this space and conversation on the original topic to further educate ourselves and others.

We can sit down and let those Science teams do all the work and praise the hell out of them for being so great. Like we are doing now. Or we can get together and do projects in our own home's which don't seem as impressive to some.

Projects that those scientist's may have even touched upon in their early beginning's of studying to become the great people they are. But for lack of funding they had to go where the money was and drop their pet projects in the trash bin.

It is those little projects one person does that make the greater package complete. Even those great teams are doing that in their advanced intellectual ways.

Earth is a HUGE ship orbiting the Sun and we are its captain and crew now. WE can leave the little things undone and spend our days watching the big boys work or we can get busy inspiring our youthful watchers by being more action and less talk.

MR. Ham

Perhaps you should read my post again, rookie.

IF we are truly as smart as we think, then MOST or our daily efforts would be steered towards finding a new planet, etc. IF we are doomed, then it is because we cannot overcome our own inhibitions.

Nothing is written in stone yet. I left the window wide open for success, because I acknowledge, that we are making progress. But since you're so quick to throw mundane studies of scientific advances about, consider that over 98% of Gross Domestic Income in the U.S. goes to other fruitless endeavors. Like war. The richest nation on the earth is bankrupt and if we don't find a way to get money soon, all projects come to a halt. What will happen to your studies then? NASA's budget has already been sliced by billions and most other prominent nations are just about we're we are. (technologically)

Not to mention should a meteor come hurtling through space only to crash into the earth tomorrow morning, all the work that has been accomplished thus far will be for nothing. Yet you seem content with incremental scientific progress, and the dismissal of pertinent scientific facts. Why? Those same scientist who you're so found of mentioning, tell us we WILL get struck with an earth altering dilemma, such as a Meteor. If you believe in science, then you cannot withdraw from the scientific stagnancy that has been plaguing humanity since the beginning of time. Some progress, doesn't mean enough progress.

You also mentioned in an earlier post, the futility of looking for a suitable planet. "Why look? It's too far!" Was the sum of your hypothesis. Haven't you considered the scope of technological advances? Who knows what new sciences may help to propel our species into the furthest reaches of space. Why be content with inadequacies of today, when we can be enlightened with the knowledge of tomorrow? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK our scientific advances are enough? Buy your OWN admission, your said we can't get very far in outer space, so why don't you agree that we need to step up the pace?

rookies...

No ATTACK; just my supposition as to what I am gathering I think is being written here and there on the matters. I will read all, again, not just because you suggested it, but because I tend to find points I missed the last time in my exhausted mental state, and like any winded old carpetbagger, trying to find a new place to rest, I tend to ramble until I fall down from exhaustion. Being exhausted was the original reason I ended up in the hospital for my problem in the first instance.

This rookie adds , "Roaring applause" and gives a tip of the hat to species5478.

You know what? I completely agree with you when you say the scientific community doesn't have enough funding (if I haven't misinterpreted your post again). But that doesn't exclude the centuries of work to this day. Your profound lack of understanding/appreciation for scientific process is ridiculous. What "scientific stagnancy" do you refer to? Are all the links I posted, all prime examples of technological advances all within the last 30 years not enough for you? Of course not. Those are all "mundane scientific advances". Because until we're inhabiting some other planet and destroying it's ecological systems too, you won't be satisfied.

You mentioned that its "our own inhibitions" that have stopped scientific progress right? Of course, because nothing else is more important than our need to take to the stars. Medicine? Welfare? Industry? Business? Education? Law? Energy? None of that is as important right? This brings me back to my statement before that "Saving our own planet, even to if only to prolong it's death, is a much more worth-while goal than searching blindly for a planet we might never reach." Fulfilling our immediate needs is always more important than far off fantasies. Oh and FYI, NASA has just been granted an EXTRA $420m US and the ESA's budget has increased €100m, with the ESA's budget increase directly related to the state of their member nations.

Oh, and that bit on meteors? That's not helping your case one bit. If you had any idea about what you were talking about, you wouldn't have posted that.

Before you dismiss me as a pessimist for thinking that intergalactic travel is improbable, you might want to "consider the scope of" theoretical physics. Have you no knowledge of special relativity? Of mass and length dilation? The Faster-than-light speed problem? The existence of Tachyons? You want me to consider technologies that'll "propel our species into the furthest reaches of space" right? Yet you dismissed that link I posted about 'Solar Sails' as a "mundane scientific" advance. Lack of funding isn't our our only obstacle. You can't simply pay your way around barriers in the laws of physics. But again, you probably aren't interested in theoretical physics because it doesn't get us to other planets.

So WHAT MAKES YOU THINK (see, I can do it too) that our scientific progress ISN'T enough? Oh, right because in the 20 or so years that it's taken for the Greenhouse Effect and Global Warming to rear their ugly heads, people have grown impatient with scientists who for centuries have worked tirelessly. Because in the 20 or so years, the science illiterate community have gone from "I want a washing machine that doesn't require work" to "I want to take to the stars, and I want to NOW!!" like the spoilt children we are. Lets just quietly disregard all the technological advances sourced from astrophysics while we complain about the current void in technology. Oh wait a minute, you already have with your "scientific stagnancy" statement. But wait, I'm confused. You said there is a stagnancy in science yet you also praise the "scope of technology". You clearly can't divorce science from technology so what do you mean?

What endeavour will net us more immediate gain? Space research or green technology? Again I say "Saving our own planet, even to if only to prolong it's death, is a much more worth-while goal than searching blindly for a planet we might never reach." Renewable (or at least green in the case of Nuclear power) energy, Greener (and potentially more efficient) technology, Carbon sequestration, these are what we should be focussing on. We need to make a change now, commit ourselves to programs which will have immediate impacts; programs with gains proportional to the time and money we put in.

As for Pagafyr's proposal, I don't think any laymen with little knowledge of science can make any worthwhile contribution to the scientific community with home-made 'experiments'. I doubt there's anything to be gained from these projects.

As for Pagafyr's proposal, I don't think any laymen with little knowledge of science can make any worthwhile contribution to the scientific community with home-made 'experiments'. I doubt there's anything to be gained from these projects.

..........................................................Layman are first degree class science student's...........................................................................

You may be presently very intelligent Mr. Ham. But were you born that way? I doubt it. I doubt anyone is fully developed mentally at birth to decide their future rank or official status.

Even if we were born with a library installed in our head's we still have to learn to use it and while we are at it, train our little tot muscles to get our head to quit wobbling around on the limp neck we were born with. Allot can be lost in the fabric of library exercises if the mind is too busy learning how to lift up our head and shoulders without yet learning to control our hands at the end of our arms, etc.

I find it amusing that one as intelligent as you can not see the masses bringing forth small discoveries which would benefit everyone in small ways to serve a greater whole and good.

I have more to share on the subject after you have considered the present allowance, Mr. Ham.