Space conquer games

Yoshh

Does anybody know of some nice space conquest games? Where you have to travel around the universe colonizing planets and fighting against other corporations/races and things like that :3

Doesn't matter if they have multiplayer or not, but I'd rather have MP so I can play with my friends

Space Empires IV :D

Highly moddable, many good mods available at SEnet. Use PBW for multiplay, since the included tcp/ip option is broken for anything except lan play. Carrier Battles is probably the best mod for SE4, period.

As a bonus, you'll be supporting an indy developer.

Nah, didn't like anything on those threads... I was looking for something more complex. Strategy like :3

I know there are some nice ones like Sins of a Solar empire, Galactic Civilizations, as so on... I'm currently trying Cosmic Supremacy but... Ugh... I don't know, the interface seems ugly XD But thanks to all you people that posted until now ;D

Space Empires IV biggrin.gif

Highly moddable, many good mods available at SEnet. Use PBW for multiplay, since the included tcp/ip option is broken for anything except lan play. Carrier Battles is probably the best mod for SE4, period.

As a bonus, you'll be supporting an indy developer.

Is there any way I can try a demo first? D:

Still probably not what you're looking for but here are some more options (from Google)

Unification wars

Ferion

Swords of the Stars

Mayhem Intergalactic

Oldies that I liked and still play every now and again to this day that fit the "Strategy" and "Sci-Fi" part:

Starcraft (Starcraft 2 coming soon)

Total Annihilation

I did make a reply here last night, but it seems to have vanished :s

And since then, you've already mentioned the only two games I suggested yourself anyway :P

There is one other game which just occurred to me actually, probably a bit outdated for you, and you'll likely need DOSBox to get it to run, but it is absolutely superb: Ascendancy. Being one of the first 4X games, it is the direct precursor to games like GalCiv and SoaSE, and it actually shares many gameplay elements with both of them. It doesnt have any multiplayer sadly, so make sure to download the AI patch linked on that page too, otherwise it might get a tad boring.

The Master of Orion series is meant to be excellent as well, but I've never played any of them, and don't have any links.

You can get an SE4 demo from the author's site, http://malfador.com - just click SEIV.

Ignore SEV, it's got a horrible UI. I hated it so much I could barely play the game. :(

The SE4 Demo only plays for 100 turns and IIRC most mods won't work with it. The game is pretty cheap now and if you get into the mods and multiplayer with the SE community, I guarantee it'll be worth every penny.

No, I'm not malfador. I swear.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, one of the best Space Sim games I've played recently is X3 and X3: Terran Conflict. Both are very open ended and out of the ordinary in the sense that the main focus is on trading and not fighting as in other space sims. Expect to lose a few moths of your life to these games.

As for Space RTS games, Sins of a solar Empire was quote good, but I found the lacking storyline a bit meh.