Bored of Fallout 3, any tips?

katashy

@Katshy:

you use the term, "bored" but i beg to differ. if you were indeed bored of Fallout 3, you wouldn't be posting here or even playing the game anymore.

instead, i put it to you that you are "uninspired" which is something that can be corrected with the right stimuli.

instead of suggesting any mods to you, i suggest that you begin modding for yourself.

focus on something either in the game or just anything that has inspired you in the past and try and create a mod around it.

the act of beginning such a project will lead you to other mods and ideas along the way.

Its always fun to roam the wastes with nothing in it! xDDDD

He's always fun to talk to

Get rare items

just roam. kill things. all fun.

COLLECT THINGS (I collect Teddy Bears and Pre-War Money) lulzz

Play fallout and fallout 2.... trust me, they are good.

I managed to get hold of those not too long ago.

Fallout was... one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in a game. So much that I didn't even try Fallout 2.

You missed.

You missed.

You missed.

...9 times out of 10 even with 9 agility and 75ish small guns and despite what the to-hit numbers said (WTF, I hit that radscorp at -10% but now that he's moved and it's 90% I can't even wing him?). The constant kiting (and dying) necessitated by this crap just got.. tiresome.

Play fallout and fallout 2.... trust me, they are good.

I managed to get hold of those not too long ago.

Fallout was... one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in a game. So much that I didn't even try Fallout 2.

You missed.

You missed.

You missed.

...9 times out of 10 even with 9 agility and 75ish small guns and despite what the to-hit numbers said (WTF, I hit that radscorp at -10% but now that he's moved and it's 90% I can't even wing him?). The constant kiting (and dying) necessitated by this crap just got.. tiresome.

Neko, if I'm not wrong, Agility does not factor into accuracy or competence for any firearm in Fallout 1/2 (I think it solely affects how many AP you have and your Armor Class). Also, your skill cap in Fallout is 200 (300 in FO2), not 100; which is probably to say 75 Small guns is equivalent to 37.5/100% expertise in conventional firearms (which is to say, quite bad at it.)

Anyway, back on topic. I also got quite bored of the game (not uninspired). I completed the game several times without a challenge. The potential epic moments dulled one way or another:

-Crippled limbs being awfully trivial.

-Getting a Fat Man upon meeting your first (in all probability) Super Mutant Behemoth

-Having to deal with just 2 typical Enclave soldiers and some civilian with a unique laser pistol in the last room before the end of the game.

-New DLC enemies being ridiculously resilient, while not actually being more challenging (Honestly, a feral ghoul reaver taking more hits than a power armor-clad soldier?).

-The Fate of Broken Steel decided in a computer terminal.

I could go on quite long, but I basically got bored of the game.

Then I decided to install FWE, and its something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-meets-Fallout 3, which is my idea of awesome.

Basically, it really brings the element of survival into the game. You need to eat and drink water to stay alive, sleep to sustain yourself. Ammunition is a scarcity, even looted off fallen enemies. While you fall in battle much more easily, you no longer have to hit a dog 20 times with a bat to kill it, or shoot a raider 5 times in the head and he doesn't even fall down.

There's also FOOK and XFO, but I've never tried those.

@ Verbal Earthworm

Meh, same thing.

And I don't know how to mod... blender dosn't work for me, i Cant change camera views, i cant do anything. I use Vista and it didt work, i ran it on my dads desktop with xp and it didnt work... I'm also terrible at scripting, I cant make quests, but i CAN make stuff in the geck, but it never works.

Anyway, i'm not AS bored as i was, I've started again with the difficulty all the way up, and trying to only use a .32 pistol.

@katshy:

funny you should say that, i tend to use all the smaller calibre guns throughout.

Ol' Painless when WMKed makes an excellent low-end sniper rifle and Lawdog (black retex) with a silencer is superb.

and i never use any power armor.

i try and minimise and limit my character so that it's harder.

p.s. try your hand at Texturing then :P

@ Verbal earthworm: Can't texture either... I'm a bit useless! And yeah, the "Scoped Hunting Rifle Unique Ol Painless" mod is great. I've started roleplaying a hunter character, going around, hunting wild dogs, raiders, and any other kind of easy prey.

Anyway, After FINALLY finding where dogmeat was while hunting, I'm getting more and more back into the game. He owns XD.

Thanks for everyones suggestions! If you have any more ideas please post with them!

Try Playing the game on all the difficulties. Like do one quest on easy, and then, do another on Very hard. It puts a twist on things. It's a very fun way to challenge yourself and game preference.

Play a different style character.

And no I mean don't play an evil character. The difference between the two is choosing between yes or no every 50 minutes.

I mean play characters with unique traits. Intentionally handicap yourself if you have to. Play a melee oriented character, or a completely diplomatic one. Or play a guy with a stimpack allergy. How about a character who's a complete tool and says yes to anyone? Maybe play a naked guy. Use nothing but grenades.

Or you can run an ironman mode where, if you die, you have to delete your savegame and start again. That'll really change the way you play the game.

Just play a character that requires special consideration. Entertainment derived from surmounting obstacles is usually fun.