Armor Skill bugged/Not leveling up

Vudou

I've been searching around for a while now and haven't seen any posts about this, therefore no solutions so I thought I'd ask here.

My armour skills won't level up. My other skills level up just fine, except any armor skills. Does anyone know if any of the following mods cause this problem?

I thought maybe I was getting hit enough, so I even tried getting wailed on by a huge mob in God Mode. I stood there getting hit for awhile, but nothing happened. I was, however, hitting them back and my one-hand skill was leveling. I switched to Archery and that leveled up too. But armor skills... nope. Those skills won't level up. Neither light or heavy.

For armour mods I have the following:

Cloaks of Skyrim

Winter Is Coming

Dread Hunter and Huntress

Immersive Armours

Lustmord Vampire Armour

Masters of Death

I don't remember when this issues started. It might have been after I put in Lustmord Vampire, so yes I will uninstall that one and see if it fixes it. Though I don't think it will. I have a feeling it's something else.

I also do NOT have any perk mods that change the armour perks either.

If anyone has any information as to why armours skills don't level up, please let me know.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by Baibaihe

It may be a mod that alters the rate of leveling for armour skills (light or heavy? Have you tested with both?). By the sound of it, this would be a 'wild edit' and could not be 'auto-cleaned' via TES5Edit cleaning process. Copy/paste your BOSS log here (including the SKSE information and the list of plugins not recognized by BOSS if one is generated), enclose all of it in a set of spoiler tags.

It may be a mod that alters the rate of leveling for armour skills (light or heavy? Have you tested with both?). By the sound of it, this would be a 'wild edit' and could not be 'auto-cleaned' via TES5Edit cleaning process. Copy/paste your BOSS log here (including the SKSE information and the list of plugins not recognized by BOSS if one is generated), enclose all of it in a set of spoiler tags.

Ahh... the creator of Inconsequential NPCs. XD. Yep... every time I start a new game, those a**hole thanes of Ulfric's are there just waiting for me to slaughter them in their sleep because I hate them so much. <3

Anyway...

Both Light and Heavy don't level up and I still can't figure out why. Below is my BOSS Log, but I don't see anything wrong with the "issues" BOSS doesn't like. Most of them are old mods where this problem wasn't happening then. The most recent mod I added was a perk mod (I wrote before that I didn't have a perk that affected the armour perks), but I remember now that I added one that "adds" another perk tree next to the light armour perk tree, but leaves the light armour perks alone. This perk tree is for when you're unarmed/unarmoured. I did take that mod out (fully uninstalled, not just deactivated), but it didn't fix the problem. So I put it back in. However, BOSS isn't showing any issues for that mod anyway.

For now I've been purchasing armour training from the few who can teach you in Heavy and Light armour. I know I can only go up to level 90, but I can always command console the last 10 levels in or use the skills config mod. But doing it that way... takes away from the game.

Ooh and ignore the load order. This log is from a few days ago. I since then fixed BOSS and it doesn't load everything that badly anymore. I don't know what was going on but it was putting things in the complete wrong places. I uninstalled and reinstalled BOSS and took out all "rules" I had. It works better now. My final load order is still different though. The way I arranged them.

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
    • Contains dirty edits: 92 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dawnguard.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 619 ITM, 82 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • HearthFires.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 184 ITM, 11 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 61 ITM, 8 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • ApachiiHairFemales.esm Active
  • ApachiiHairMales.esm Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Active
    • Warning: Due to conflicts between Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization and ClimatesOfTamriel.esm it is recommended you use the appropriate compatibility patch found here.
    • Warning: Due to conflicts between Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds and ClimatesOfTamriel.esm it is recommended you use the appropriate compatibility patch found here.
  • Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm Active
  • SPIKE.esm Active
  • HighResTexturePack01.esp
  • HighResTexturePack02.esp
  • HighResTexturePack03.esp
  • Brawl Bugs CE.esp Active
  • FixedEyeAdaption.esp Active
  • Further Dark Dungeons for ENB.esp Active
  • SkyrimURWL.esp Active
  • FixCombatMusic.esp Active
  • PersonalizedMusic - NoVanillaMusic_v5.0.esp
  • PersonalizedMusic_v5.0.esp Active
  • PM_TownUniqueMusic_v1.0.esp Active
  • PM_TownUniqueMusic_NoVanilla_v1.0.esp
  • Auto Unequip Ammo.esp Active
  • Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 1 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dual Sheath Redux.esp Active
    • Requires: Java Runtime Environment 7 update 17+
  • High Level Enemies.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
  • High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp Active
  • High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp Active
  • High Level Enemies - Increased Max Resists.esp Active
  • High Level Enemies - Raised Ability Caps.esp Active
  • ImprovedSkillBooks.esp Active
  • improvedquestbooks.esp Active
  • Informative Standing Stones.esp Active
  • WetandCold.esp Active
  • SkyUI.esp Active
  • Cloaks.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 2 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp Active
  • 1nivWICCloaks.esp Active
  • 1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp Active
  • DaggerCraft.esp Active
  • DragonBoneWeaponsComplete.esp Active
  • Dread Huntress Armor.esp Active
  • greybeardsrobes.esp Active
  • Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active
  • Immersive Weapons.esp Active
  • InigoPerkPointGiver.esp Active
  • LeftHandRings.esp Active
  • LustmordVampireArmor.esp Active
  • OMageReplacerPack.esp Active
  • TERA Weapons.esp Active
  • ultimatearchmage0.esp Active
  • UnenchantedTGArmors.esp Active
  • Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp Active
  • DeadlyDragons.esp Active
  • ArmorDisguises.esp Active
  • Bards&Merchants.esp Active
  • bettercitiesdocksolitude.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 1 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
    • Contains dirty edits: 0 ITM, 54 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • bettercitiesjarlshouses.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 0 ITM, 54 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • betterdawnstar.esp Active
  • betterinns.esp Active
    • Warning: This file contains 1 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
  • bettermarkarthexterieur.esp Active
  • bettermorthal.esp Active
    • Warning: This file contains 1 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
  • betterwinterhold.esp Active
  • Hearthfire Cheat Chests.esp Active
  • Inconsequential NPCs.esp Active
  • Inconsequential NPCs - Enhancement.esp Active
  • markarth_plus.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 37 ITM, 28 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • ObedientUlfric.esp Active
  • Run For Your Lives.esp Active
  • The Void Walker.esp Active
    • Warning: This file contains 2 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
  • towHarvest.esp Active
  • whiterunexenhanced.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 9 ITM, 6 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Masters of Death.esp Active
  • AchieveThat.esp Active
  • Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp Active
    • Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.
  • Thieves Guild Requirements.esp Active
  • TimingIsEverything.esp Active
  • TimingIsEverything_RunForYourLives_Patch.esp Active
  • Unarmored_LightArmor.esp Active
  • UnreadBooksGlow.esp Active
  • riverwoodenhancedplugin.esp Active
  • taveriften.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 13 ITM, 2 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • tavesolitude.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 14 ITM, 1 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • tavewindhelm.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 12 ITM, 2 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • tavevillages.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 15 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • whiteruninenhanced.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 18 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • tavefalkreath.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 3 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • SoS - The Dungeons.esp Active
    • Note: Do not use the Crash Fix ESP for this mod. It is flagged as a master and is only meant as a last resort for fixing crashes.
  • SoS - The Wilds.esp Active
    • Note: Do not use the Crash Fix ESP for this mod. It is flagged as a master and is only meant as a last resort for fixing crashes.
    • Contains dirty edits: 8 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • SoS - Civilization.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Sound.esp Active
  • EnhancedLightsandFX.esp Active
  • ELFX - Exteriors.esp Active
  • ELFX - Dawnguard.esp Active
  • ELFX - Dragonborn.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Hazardous.esp Active
    • Incompatible with: Realistic Lighting Overhaul
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp Active
    • Incompatible with: Realistic Lighting Overhaul
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-3.esp Active
  • ClimatesOfTamriel-WinterEdition.esp Active
  • MidasSkyrim.esp Active
    • Warning: Original file was released before the Creation Kit (07 Feb. 2012) an update to the previous compatibility patch fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here. (Compatibility Patch)
  • spellpack1.esp Active
  • spellpack4.esp Active
  • BetterMagic_FULL.esp Active
  • Enchanting Freedom.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 2 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Duel - Combat Realism.esp Active
  • The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp Active
  • ACE BYOG.esp Active
  • better training.esp Active
  • ReadAndLearnSpeechcraft.esp Active
  • Skill Config.esp Active
  • AGTweaks - Extra Effects.esp Active
  • FriendlyBrynjolf.esp Active
  • Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp Active
  • Thieves Guild Followers.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 4 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Followers_StealthKills.esp Active
  • AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp Active
  • hapassiveraceabilities.esp Active
  • WATER.esp Active
  • BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp Active
  • DragonPriestMaskQuestMarkers.esp Active
  • smakit_house_markers_plus.esp Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 12 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • DudestiaMultiMarriages.esp Active
  • ASIS-Dependency.esp Active
  • ASIS.esp Active
  • Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp Active

The following plugins were not found in the masterlist, and must be positioned manually, using your favourite mod manager or by using BOSS's user rules functionality. You can submit unrecognised plugins for addition to the masterlist directly from this log by clicking on a plugin and supplying a link and/or description of its contents in the panel that is displayed.

• thewalkinglibrary.esp Active
  • PlayerHome_thereserve_v2.esp Active
  • Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp Active
  • InstantDeathTome.esp Active
  • Magic_MagicAdjustment.esp
  • Unarmored_LowerArmor.esp Active

• SKSE Version: 0.1.6.16
  • towHarvest.dll
Edited by Baibaihe

Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of this thread.

The first thing you should do is to clean the plugins flagged by BOSS as containing 'dirty edits' (except where the BOSS log explicitly states that the 'dirty edits' are intentional and need not be cleaned), including the DLC and update esm's. You'll need to a) remove identical to master entries as well as b) undelete/disable deleted references. If you have not done plugin cleaning before, the download link for TES5Edit and the instructions for how to do cleaning are in the BOSS log.

This may or may not address the armour skills level scaling issue. But I've seen similar reports of what you describe that were caused by 'dirty edits.' If it does not fix your issue, come back here and I will have some other suggestions on other (more time consuming) methods that may help identify the culprit.

The second thing--and this is more of a suggestion based on personal experience and opinion--you should do is to uninstall mods with UDR errors, such as these:

• bettercitiesdocksolitude.esp Active
  • bettercitiesjarlshouses.esp Active

UDR records can cause CTDs in some circumstances. Mods containing such errors typically reflect very inexperienced mod authors. I would just uninstall such mods (not just those two, but all the 'city overhaul' type mods in your load order with significant number of UDR records), because there is no telling what other problems are included in the mod (for example, 'wild edits', which cannot be auto-cleaned via TES5Edit). 'Better Cities....' is a very, very dirty mod, last I checked. At the very least, you should clean them. This doesn't have anything to do with the 'armour skill leveling' issue you mentioned, but I figured you'd like to know if something could negatively affect the stability of your game.

Hah... I just read your reply, but last night I had actually already took out a bunch of the city/town/villages mods. I took out a lot of old mods such as those and put in new ones. I'll have to check the BOSS log on those now. As for Better Cites... yeah I don't have that anymore. I switched it out for something else, I forgot the name.

As for all the TES5Edit, I've always been scared to use that program. I read everything on how to clean files and whatnot; but I'm still scared of touching the files and breaking it. That's why I never cleaned any of the files that says to be cleaned. Plus I really haven't had any CTD problems. If I play all day long, my game might CTD two or three times in 24 hours but that's it. But it never CTD's at any of the locations where BOSS says those cities/town/villages/etc files need to be cleaned. Any CTD I've ever had was always inside a dungeon. Never out in the Skyrim world or cities.

About the armor issue, last night (before I switched out mods) I noticed my armor go up a few times. Though I didn't see if it was from Synergy points or not. This started happening after I had put on new armor. I'm wondering if some of Immersive Armors are bugged. I'm going to go in-game and have a bunch of guards wail on me for a bit and see if my armor starts leveling. I'll get back to you on this.

As for uninstalling all mods with UDR errors, what do I do with all the DLC's have that error as well. :/

• Update.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 92 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dawnguard.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 619 ITM, 82 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • HearthFires.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 184 ITM, 11 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 61 ITM, 8 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
Edited by Baibaihe

As for uninstalling all mods with UDR errors, what do I do with all the DLC's have that error as well. :/

You can just clean the DLCs and the offical patch esm's. The chance of a mod referencing a deleted reference in a DLC is virtually 'nil.' It's the mods that contain UDR records that poses the issue, as whatever default object they deleted could be referenced by another mod. And I only suggested removing them not for the UDR records themselves (which can be cleaned) but that the sheer number of such errors would indicate the quality of the mod is unreliable at best and may introduce issues other than 'dirty edits.' There isn't really any justifiable excuses for a mod author to have not cleaned their mod for so longer, after countless reports.

Ignore him, clean them using TES5Edit, and keep using them.

TES5Edit auto-cleaning does -not- remove 'wild edits.'

Edited by ripple

I never said anything about wild edits. Few mods have them and they don't have anything to do with crashes. And your advice to uninstall any mod with UDRs is hilariously bad and wrong, hence the 'ignore him.'

Edited by myztikrice

I never said anything about wild edits. Few mods have them and they don't have anything to do with crashes. And your advice to uninstall any mod with UDRs is hilariously bad and wrong, hence the 'ignore him.'

This is the second recent troubleshooting thread in which you've attempted to derail by posting useless information in an insulting manner, as if you are replying in a YouTube comment box rather than a moderated forum with rules of conduct and norms of etiquette. I think I've been very cordial inspite of your trolling. You didn't say there was 'wild edit', because you've never said anything useful, period. I also didn't say uninstall "any" mod with UDR's. I said the sheer number of UDR's for 'Better Cities...', specifically, would indicate the quality fo the mod is questionable at best. What sort of mod author would go around deleting literally dozens of default game references and still not clean their plugins after countless reports from users? And yes, there are 'wild edits' in (at least some) 'Better Cities...' plugins, which can -not- be auto-cleaned via TES5Edit. So how does a user address the issues they generate if not to either manually clean them (which would be difficult for most average users) or simply uninstall the mod?

The OP is in no way obligated to follow what I explicitly identified as a personal opinion. If you disagree with that opinion, you should supply something resembling 'reasons'--which you did not.

I am not going to waste any more time on you. I am just going humbly ask that you not attempt to derail any more troubleshooting thread with useless information and attempts to bait other users into meaningless arguments.

o.O Well despite all that other stuff between you two.......... I did end up deleting out a couple mods with a lot of UDR errors. There were old anyway and not important. Though I still don't know what to do with the DLC's.

Sorry for a late reply, but I got a little busy the last night or two. I didn't even test the armour issue I was having >.<.