The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Here is a life question for you guys and girls. My fiance has asked me if I want to move into her parent's house after we get married to save money. She tells me that they will move into her grandparent's house and we can live in theirs. They are both on the same farm which would put her parents basically across the back yard, about 2 football fields away.

Anyone have any kernels of wisdom available for this?

Go for it. Save money. Move later if you want to. Get a head start in life hun and go for it. I'd snatch their hands off. Its not as if you'll be in the same house after all just set ground rules when you do move in and make sure you can decorate etc to your tastes

Yeah animals are simple to understand at times complex loving and absolutely adorable

I know that. I was so naive when I moved into the outskirts of a city named Spokane I thought a huge yellow dog I was introduced to was just a large one. The huge male dog moved in with me after I painted a house for a landlord and got a month of free rent.

I learned what kind of animal he was after the dog pound took him. He was a full blooded wolf raised for breeding that grew up in the city limits back when it wasn't the slums, everyone in the area knew him long before I arrived and called him, "Goldy". His owner apparently passed on leaving him on is own. While he was free he even sired a bunch of German Shepard pups with the people I befriended a few blocks from the place only a months before I arrived.

As I got more of a college education I saw where I lived with opened eyes. Everybody there were good friendly people too. We were all poor. I had to find $120.00 to get Goldy out. When I got him back they had cut his to front fangs off half way. It made him look stupid when he smiled.

I locked him in the house after that, went to school, and when I came back he had been reportedly able to get out of the house on his own. I knew he was smart, but not that smart.

I guess the biggest thing is feeling like i owe them forever.

Nope just until you either have enough money saved to buy them out or buy your own home elsewhere. They've made an offer, find out what strings are attached BEFORE you agree. Draw up a working contract if you need to. I'm sure they wont be offended, and if necessary offer to pay a token rental amount so you can change decoration or alter the kitchen or whatever.

It shows that whilst you are grateful for their help you are still wanting to pay your way and have some say over what you want to do.

:D

Nope just until you either have enough money saved to buy them out or buy your own home elsewhere. They've made an offer, find out what strings are attached BEFORE you agree. Draw up a working contract if you need to. I'm sure they wont be offended, and if necessary offer to pay a token rental amount so you can change decoration or alter the kitchen or whatever.

It shows that whilst you are grateful for their help you are still wanting to pay your way and have some say over what you want to do.

:D

I checked back with my fiance and she said that we wouldn't move in until her parents have moved out so we will probably rent for the first few years and take it from there. Thanks for the advice. It will be over a year until we get married so I told her no need to finalize anything until the time is closer.

Then make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed :D

And if you find they tend to be offended about your desire for a contract, remember they are skilled traders which show their skills in the way to try and manipulate the sale their way in every way. Their show of being offended will pass as they realize the benefits of the new deal.