The last poster wins

TheCalliton

FINALLY!!!

I managed to kill Ubuntu for a moment, it didn't want to boot at all. I accidentally removed a xorg dependency in Synaptic while I was cleaning stuff up and it failed to boot.

But unlike rebooting in safe mode and 4 hours of slamming my head against the screen till I find what went to s#*! like in Win7, I booted it in recovery mode, entered root shell prompt and fixed it in less than a minute with 3 commands.

sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Then just executed an exit command to get out of root shell prompt, resumed normal boot, entered sudo start lightdm to start up the display manager and all done.

God, I love working in that terminal interface.

sudo what?

"sudo" stands for SuperUserDO (basically, admin takes action) and requires a password to proceed. It's Linux's simplified equivalent to runas /user:Administrator cmd. There's also "su *admin username*" which turns you into a superuser and "gksudo" which allows you to edit stuff you normally can't (like core system files, for example).

It works that way because Linux is designed to be a super-safe OS, even when you're logged in as admin you need to input your pasword to run certain programs or install more or less anything and you can always make it more strict (you can even make it ask for admin password when opening folders).

Also, typing "sudo" is much easier than running a bunch of commands in Command prompt just to run something as an admin.