ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Probably a stupid question about selling used PC games

Rennn

Is it illegal, and will the games still work for the person who buys them? :3 I have several PC games I've barely played cluttering up my shelves, and I don't want them but it seems like a waste to throw them out. I've already sold most of my console games that I no longer want, but I'm still wondering what to do with my PC games.

However, I won't sell them if it's illegal, and I obviously can't sell them if they won't work for the person who buys them due to DRM or whatever.

I'm looking at selling a boxed edition of The Witcher 2, additionally containing the soundtrack and game guide.

Also, Neverwinter Nights Complete, including a map and discs for all DLC for NWN1 and NWN2.

Also, Black Ops 2. (Steam linked this to my account even though it's the disk version. :/)

Also Battlefield 3. (Origin linked this to my account as well)

I'd need to make sure that would actually work though... Like I said, I don't want to do anything illegal or rip someone off by selling them a game that's already been activated and can't be used again. :blink:

Any advice?

Sorry if that was a stupid question, I've never tried to sell PC games before, as I never had a reason. Now the games I don't play are just going to be clutter when I move though. So I'm left with the option of either selling them or tossing them.

Edited by Rennn

I would suspect that it depends upon where you are to be on the safe side.

In theory though, it's not illegal to sell games, just like any other second hand item, but there are certain companies, like Valve, that effectively make it illegal. Essentially, if you "buy" a Steam game, you are just paying Valve for a licence to use it, they reserve the right to withdraw it from you at their pleasure. If you sell it to someone else after playing it, Steam will revoke the licence to it so that it essentially becomes worthless. This behaviour is being challenged in Europe as it's technically against the law to operate this way, but it's still going through the courts and there's no sign that it's going to be resolved any time soon.

Be aware though, this only counts for games that are licensed through Steam or other similar shady operators (Electronic Arts spring to mind). The easiest thing to do is to google it for each of the games you have that you're unsure of.

In the E.U you are entitled to sell used software, even digital copies as long as you make the copy you have unusable.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/12585609423_37fd96e8dc_o.jpg

cp120094en-page-001 by Jimbo_UK, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/12585940884_53365ce055_o.jpg

cp120094en-page-002 by Jimbo_UK, on Flickr

Of course the way Steam operates makes it very hard to exercise that right, however as said that is being challenged in the courts and after the CJEU ruling it's very unlikely that Steam will be allowed to carry on as they are.

Games that does not need steam, uplay, origin etc to play like Neverwinter Nigts are ok.

I really doubt you will find a buyer for the games that has already been redeemed and linked to a account if the account does not follow with it.

I work at a thrift store and we usually throw away pc games that needs a software account to play.