Windows, desperate for help.

I have 2 computers, 1 has been broken and has ubuntu linux installed (my older files are intact yet unreachable and unreadable, they just exist and ocupy space on my HD) and the other one has legal windows, as a matter of fact, both had legal windows installed in the first place, the queer thing about it is that I don't have a CD because the manufacterer didn't give it to me,neither the code, what do I do if I want to get windows over from one computer to another, without losing all my older files on the other computer from the re/install? the situation is complicated I know. if I get the image onto a pendrive, will that help me anyhow? and seeing that desperate times need desperate means or however it is said correctly, I am willing to do anything that might be deemed unworthy or filthy amongst other people that in my place would buy a new copy of windows xp, I can't afford it and I don't want to get it AGAIN.

Not getting about piracy, it's to you and MS to resolve the issue and the only real thing here is the CD key... if you have it, any bootable CD image with XP will do the trick. What you'll need is the same image (version) of your KEY that probably is an OEM version.

I am using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to find my windows xp key for me, I have this computer here that has legal copy of windows but I don't have CD or Key, but that is luckily stored in the registry incase my copy IS legal, I doubt it's a fake, usually computers come with legal windows anyway, I will just pray, if I retrieve my key from this computer it won't be much help anyway I guess... and my other computer had several reinstalls performed by computer repairman it might be pirated, lets say this copy is legal and I have my key, what will it serve me if I am to do something possibly illegal to get it over to my other PC? *sigh* I have no idea what I have got to do... another thing, I don't want the computerrepairman to touch my broken computer because I am ashamed, all those pictures of you know what... I just don't want him to see it neither do I want to pay for something I can do myself if I figuer out how.

Contact the manufacturer of your PC and ask for a CD. They actually have a legal obligation to provide you with one when you bought it I believe, but a lot of manufacturers (such as DELL, Packard Bell, etc) don't bother. They will however send you one if you ask them.

Who is the manufacturer btw?

I have no idea, I ripped off the sticker of the shop I had it over from, that's the manufacturer all the pieces have been bought and mounted seperatly and I had the computer as a present, I then cleaned off all stickers and gave it a polish.

In that case you could be in trouble :P

What does it say when you turn it on (before it starts loading Windows)? Mine is a DELL computer, so it shows the DELL logo, for example. Though, if you don't know you're computer's service number, or whatever, then you're in fairly big trouble. Did you seriously not keep any records of that stuff? There would have been a sticker with your windows cd key, and another one with service/product number. You will need to know, at the very least, that number, and the manufacturer, if you want to get a Windows CD.

What does it say when you turn it on (before it starts loading Windows)? Mine is a DELL computer, so it shows the DELL logo, for example. Though, if you don't know you're computer's service number, or whatever, then you're in fairly big trouble. Did you seriously not keep any records of that stuff? There would have been a sticker with your windows cd key, and another one with service/product number. You will need to know, at the very least, that number, and the manufacturer, if you want to get a Windows CD.

well, all I have is a computer with ubuntu linux that grants no access whatsoever to all my older files, they are just there occupying space but you can't get to them anyway not even to delete them they are just lost in time and space I guess :unsure: I cant check the registry there. I have also this computer that is perfectly ok and has a legal copy, all I have for both computers is the windows with the key somewhere in the registry, and the only copy with a key I have is this computer... I guess I am in very big trouble because of having thrown everything else away. but as bootscreen I get Asus with some X and a reference to the motherboard I own, but nothing else, and as I said, the pc was assembled at the shop from pieces they had at the shop because everything there has no reference to a manufacter or any sort, I did find a yellow bright label with the shop name on my hard drive though it is just stuck there, but now I have a computer with a label on it referencing a shop that I dont know where in the world that is, blanca systems, and apart from that there is no number or whatsoever, and the older files are unaccesalb

well, all I have is a computer with ubuntu linux that grants no access whatsoever to all my older files, they are just there occupying space but you can't get to them anyway not even to delete them they are just lost in time and space I guess :unsure: I cant check the registry there. I have also this computer that is perfectly ok and has a legal copy, all I have for both computers is the windows with the key somewhere in the registry, and the only copy with a key I have is this computer... I guess I am in very big trouble because of having thrown everything else away. but as bootscreen I get Asus with some X and a reference to the motherboard I own, but nothing else, and as I said, the pc was assembled at the shop from pieces they had at the shop because everything there has no reference to a manufacter or any sort, I did find a yellow bright label with the shop name on my hard drive though it is just stuck there, but now I have a computer with a label on it referencing a shop that I dont know where in the world that is, blanca systems, and apart from that there is no number or whatsoever, and the older files are unaccesalb

Then you're screwed, to put it bluntly. You're gonna have to get a new copy of Windows from somewhere, how you choose to do that is up to you.