UOP F**ked up my game

jedibob5

I've always been nervous about modding games, since something usually goes wrong and I wind up being content with the vanilla version. I've heard of the importance of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, but I never got around to actually getting it until I found the Oblivion Mod Manager, which made me feel safer about the modding thing. Plus, it was the UOP, which is just about universally used.

But then the problems started... First, whenever my game exited, it crashed, which I found odd, since the message "Oblivion has stopped working" came up when it was supposed to stop working. I decided to ask about it on a tech support forum some time whenever I felt like it, as other than an inconvenience, it didn't seem much of a problem. This went on for a while, until things started getting really screwy. I finally finished all of those friggin mage guild recommendations, and when I went triumphantly to the arcane university, I found the gates still locked, and even after waiting for a while I was forced to use a teleport to quest target console command to get in. Afterwards, I noticed that two of the imperial battlemages outside the place were frozen in place. So then I went to that cave to find the dead khajiit for the mages staff quest, and when I left, my horse suddenly died and there was a dead legionnaire and a live troll nearby. I used a console command to ressurect the horse (no, I'm not above doing that), and finally decided to see what the hell the problem was. I turned off the only two mods I had running, the patch and some door fix that came with it. It seemed to fix most of the problems; the game no longer crashed on exit. Then I noticed that one of my rings I found in SI had changed from a 11% resist normal weapons to a 20% resist disease or poison or something, and the frozen battlemages had vanished. I also noticed on an alternate character that a majority of the guards in Bruma were gone. Apparently the glitched guards were more widespread and turning off the patch made them all vanish. Any idea why this happened? All signs point to the patch doing this, but I have no idea why...

Sorry about being long winded, I tend do that some times.

tl;dr

The UOP made my game crash upon exiting, made guards freeze in place, and after I removed it, fixed the crash, made the frozen guards vanish, and caused several other bad problems.

PS: Just in case anyone cares, I'm using the GOTY Steam version of Oblivion.

Aways I see "xyz" f***kd my anything I read "I did something wrong and now I need someone to blame"

It isn't strange thousands of people uses UOP for so long and don't have their games destroyed or even worsened? I (me) counted among these thousands.

And aways I see statements like that from the OP I lose immediately all 'willings' to even read the whole post and try to help. Think about it.

Aways I see "xyz" f***kd my anything I read "I did something wrong and now I need someone to blame"

It isn't strange thousands of people uses UOP for so long and don't have their games destroyed or even worsened? I (me) counted among these thousands.

And aways I see statements like that from the OP I lose immediately all 'willings' to even read the whole post and try to help. Think about it.

you made me realize something

that is the second biggest block of text i have ever read on this site lol

first being a story, forget which

you made me realize something

that is the second biggest block of text i have ever read on this site lol

first being a story, forget which

UOP - never used it, never wanted it.

You should get into the habit of reading what every mod does carefully, before you decide to install it, regardless of who thinks it's the end-all be-all killer-ap of all mods.

God, I hate people that are so rude and hyper-critical whenever someone asks for help. I'm aware that I'm probably the one who did something wrong, all I was saying is that my game got messed up and it had something to do with the patch. I'm not "blaming" UOP, I'm just saying that it had something to do with it, whether it be installer error or what. Seriously, I'm just asking for some help. Some civility would be nice. I guess that's the problem with everyone being anonymous on the internet. And learn to spell "always" instead of "aways."

[EDIT: Okay, I think this was an overreaction on my part, but still, if you want to post, please make it constructive instead of antagonizing the OP.]

Anyways, I'll try the suggestion about installing the Bethesda patch first.

Also, it can't be a mod conflict; the UOP is the first mod I've ever used for Oblivion.

God, I hate people that are so rude and hyper-critical whenever someone asks for help. I'm aware that I'm probably the one who did something wrong, all I was saying is that my game got messed up and it had something to do with the patch. I'm not "blaming" UOP, I'm just saying that it had something to do with it, whether it be installer error or what. Seriously, I'm just asking for some help. Some civility would be nice. I guess that's the problem with everyone being anonymous on the internet. And learn to spell "always" instead of "aways."

Anyways, I'll try the suggestion about installing the Bethesda patch first.

Also, it can't be a mod conflict; the UOP is the first mod I've ever used for Oblivion.

always update your game to the latest official patch first, the adding the Unofficial patch will aide you as well,and if a mod overwrites something in the uop, there minor corrections only and therefore you don't really lose anything vital to game play> :biggrin:

Well, I checked my current patch version, and it seems it is up to date. I was pretty sure that the GOTY came with the latest patch, so I had never bothered to check. So, I'm going to try and reinstall the UOP to see if it changes anything.

EDIT: Hmm... I'm downloading the installer again and it has a much longer download time than I remember. I'm starting to wonder if I downloaded the wrong version or something...

Well, I checked my current patch version, and it seems it is up to date. I was pretty sure that the GOTY came with the latest patch, so I had never bothered to check. So, I'm going to try and reinstall the UOP to see if it changes anything.

EDIT: Hmm... I'm downloading the installer again and it has a much longer download time than I remember. I'm starting to wonder if I downloaded the wrong version or something...

that's possible or perhaps you got a corrupted DL,that happens on occasion as well