Using Player Helmet as GO helmet.

zaty1

So, I've been working on a non-replacer helmet texture for powerarmor- that has been going along fine. I managed to get it into game, wear it, blah blah. However, if I drop it on the ground - it goes back to the horrible GO model.

I would like to fix this, I would like to use the regular helmet model, as the GO model for only this particular helmet. I've fiddled around with nifskope, I've got the helmet to be in the same position and all that - but nothing is working. Whatever I end up saving either - doesn't work and CTDs, floats staticly in the air, or flies around at the end of my screen entirely useless. I know I am probably missing something stupid but... ugh.

Normally, I'd be all about trying to figure this out on my own but, I've followed what tutorials I could find and spent countless hours playing around/making this texture and what not. Two days ago, I finally got over my fever, but I somehow got an ear infection, in both ears. I'm like permanently underwater, on medication, and other stuff. Someone please point be in the right direction before I start throwing punches at my monitor, or just can the entire project -.-

Just a picture so far of texture- still needs some work, but I'd like to view said helmet ingame for lighting purposes etc - instead of oddly spinning around my character - or making the hockey guy wear it and blowing his head off...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/natyla/nukapowerhelmet-wip.jpg

changing a texture requires just that, to change the texture, most textures in game dont use the texture pointed to in the nif file but the texture pointed to in the geck tex file.

If your saying the texture name as something new, modifiy where the geck tex refrence is pointing, otherwise it should be working just fine.

However I really dont understand your post, your saying your just trying to replace the texture then you say the model.

If its the model, the normal helmet model that you wear can have other deformers and because of that crash if you use it in go, use nifscope to copy the tristrips.reishape and paste over the orginal go model tristrip/trishape

That way your not importing all the transform and othe excess data and it shouldnt case any crashes.

You will need to apply your retexture to the GO helmet as well. You shouldn't need to diddle with it in NifScope, just create a textureset of your new .dds and apply it to the wearable nif and the GO nif in your armor's edit window. This will overlay the nifs that are saved in the meshes - bsa and spare the need for copied nifs in a secondary meshes folder.

I'm sorry, I think my initial post sucked - although I was trying not to give too much away. Thankyou for reading so far and let me try again with probably far too much detail.

I have a retexture I am doing of my take on a Nuka sponsored contest - the prize being the nuka helmet - painted.. blah blah. It isn't supposed to be so much as an armor, but more similar to the Nuka trucks and the like - where it sits around on a shelf and doesn't do much else. (Yea, I know boring and stupid but for some people that like nuka themes it could be cool)

Now, using that knowledge that it would sit on the ground - the usual GO model for the helmet looks like crap. I would prefer it to use the better model.

This is the current model:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/natyla/uglyonground.jpg

This is what I would prefer dropping it on the ground to look like (I had to make someone wear it and behead them to get this to appear):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/natyla/realisticonground.jpg

If the posts above answered my question (or not), I will still attempt them so I know...

Otherwise, I hope this post made it a bit more clear, essentially it is just a display piece for a shelf.

Update: It is working as I was imagining now.

Phoynix mentioned the right thing with copy/paste the tristrips/shapes data.

Although, I had already done that - it didn't work. After a nap and another shot at it; I realized copying trishape and pasting it "over" tristrip wasn't doing what it was supposed to and I just wasn't noticing it. :wallbash:

Enter stage right - stripify. Problem solved. :thanks:

Cool. This is exactly what I had requested here, and again here.

As shown in the first thread, WeiJieSen already did the Enclave Power Helmet for me, but I don't think he ever got around to the others. Do you think I could get a copy of the new nif you created for the T-45d helmet? I'm only interested in the mesh, so I wouldn't reuse your texture for anything. If you wanted to do the same for the T-51b helmet, that would be awesome too! Nice texture, btw :)

You can reply here or pm me - thanks!