upload to mirror = no ratings !?

Z3R0B4NG

If the author does not want to host it here there is no record of the download so in effect you cant rate it, why would the ratings be relevant to those that do host their files here?

That file cannot be hosted here as it is a rip from another game, we allow a pointer page but the file itself may not be hosted on this family of sites.

Feel free to comment but you won't be able to rate.

exactly... and you see nothing wrong with that?

I see no reason why mirrors should not be counted as downloads?

If you click on it you probably going to download it so that click could be counted as far as i am concerned.

I know this is a little far stretched but as a side effect you concentrate all the Traffic on the Nexus Network, no uploader that wants ratings or a working download counter will put up a mirror on rapidshare or whatever, so all the Traffic falls on Nexus.

All i'm saying there is a hole in the Rating Script, it should count mirrors like downloads so that one could rate.

:thanks:

This is probably not going to happen. Endorsement requires a download from this site, if the file is not hosted here...this file cannot be hosted here and there is nothing further to discuss.

There is no way to check if a file was actually downloaded by a user from another site....there fore there will be no endorsements.

Of course the uploader is free to upload the readme in an archive, that could be downloaded ant that would allow endorsements. But again that is his choice and not a concern of the site.

I hope you see what I said there, if one door is closed open a window or make a hole.

Buddah

Actually this makes me wonder something. If posting a file for a rip from another game is not acceptable, why would posting a link passing through to a mirror location be acceptable? It looks like all of the promotion for it is going through here, images and comments are being handled here, so for all intents, the file may as well be listed here. Disallowing pass-through links to rips would certainly solve the problem with not being able to endorse.

mmmh... no it would not!

as soon as you load ANY file from a mirror, does not matter if it has a file on nexus also, it is not counted and therefore you can not rate it unless you download it AGAIN from Nexus which makes the whole reason for a mirror pretty much useless.

The problem is not the mirror, the problem is the new ratings script which says you HAVE TO download a file to rate it. Which makes sense but this is a side effect of the new system and i just wanted to make sure that the Nexus People are aware of it.

If they dont care, pfft their site, their traffic, their choice.

//Off Topic:

It is not about the *promotion*, as you call it, it is about where the file is hosted. (google would be in much trouble if not !!! )

After all if the Author doesn't tell you, you can not know if the Armor is ripped directly from the Game or if it was made from scratch (which is OK afaik?).

For the GOW one i could realy not say by just looking at it.

It looks diffrent enough from the two Games i have on Xbox 360 and if i can not see it, you sure as hell can't either.

In addition to that it could be taken from say a Unreal Tornament 3 Mod, so as i said if there is no information you can not know.

There are some Star Wars Lightsabers hosted on Nexus too, without mirror so it is only about if the Sourcematerial is Property of somebody else ...or not.

Nexus has to be on the safe side and therefore they are a little more *paranoid* about those things, i guess.

This is probably not going to happen. Endorsement requires a download from this site, if the file is not hosted here...this file cannot be hosted here and there is nothing further to discuss.

There is no way to check if a file was actually downloaded by a user from another site....there fore there will be no endorsements.

Of course the uploader is free to upload the readme in an archive, that could be downloaded ant that would allow endorsements. But again that is his choice and not a concern of the site.

I hope you see what I said there, if one door is closed open a window or make a hole.

Buddah

I hope you do know that this requirement is useless?

Even if someone downloads it whose to say that he

a) uses the mod

b) uses it to an extent to actually give a good opinion on it

c) isn't it kinda weird that you propose an "abuse" of the system ie use text files thus why use such a requirement if you don't even want to enforce it

In the case of our mod (FOOK) it even punishes us despite the fact that we keep a lot of traffic away from nexus and that nexus has also a limit on the file size which doesn't even make it possible to host our file here (splitting is no option as the past showed cause the automatic rename of files causes a lot of issues with that).

I'd like to say that I think these points are valid, although I personally agree with a download requirement for ratings. Ultimately, that requirement is a decision for Dark0ne which he's already made, and from his comments on the subject I don't think he's likely to change anytime soon.

And you're right that it is a little counter-productive have this requirement and also somewhat officially suggest a workaround (which FOOK has used since the ratings system change), but I believe this will only be used in exceptional cases for the most part and wouldn't really lead to abuse.

Makes me think of a couple other somewhat related ratings suggestions, that I'll post separately.

If there is an exploitable portion of the site, the users here have already found a way to do it.

As HugePinball stated, some have been doing this for quite some time i.e. since the ratings change. Also files that cannot be hosted here because of the size requirements and the issues users have with combining split files...so we reach a compromise solution, not the best solution but an acceptable one.

The download requirement workaround was posted by Dark0ne when the system was changed [slightly different, but the the principal is the same], to allow users to rate the file without downloading it again. Also to keep stress off the servers for those who actually wanted to rate without having to redownload the file to do so.

Should we remove all mirrors from the site and delete all pointer pages and links off the site and forums? Curtail the discussion of things not associated with files hosted on the nexus, MMM, OOO, OBSE to name but a few.

As for endorsement abuse, yes there will be some.....the safeguards built into the system and the laziness of most users will stop 95% of it, even with the reminders to rate the vast majority never rate or comment on these sites.

There are many who have found ways to beat the system (I will not go into the details here).

Is the system perfect, no. Should we stop helping those who have issues and need the work arounds to use the sites fully?

Very few spend as much time here as I do....if there is an exploit, I am probably aware of it. But the resources to block them, would bring the site to a grinding halt. When I do find an exploit, it is posted in the staff forums most of the time, if it is a real issue I message Dark0ne directly for a quicker response.

Nothing is perfect, this site is not perfect, the owner and staff are not perfect. But we do the best we can to make the site worthwhile and enjoyable for all our users.

Sometime that means going the extra mile to get an issue resolved or a feature repaired or changed. Sometimes troubleshooting it down the the browser or browser setting that a user is using, but we do it why....because we are part of this community and not an impersonal/automated site.

Buddah

It's no really complicated to solved this one, remove the requirement. I know that the idea behind is to ensure that people actualy use the mod and then rate it but does anyone actualy think that you rly get this result with such a requirement?

Its just my opinion but in this case I feel like the drawbacks are bigger than its use.

And I do realise that everyone is ofc aware of the fact that there are easy ways to still rate a file but then again why introduce a system when you know it can get around that easily?