Spear and Javelin Mod [WIP]

Soolie

Very cool, love the animations! As samnilsen commented, I'd also like to see some sort of two-handed spear animations.

One thing (and it's more a personal preference) I would have liked was to see a proper 'overhead' style for the spear. I'm thinking held as the javelin is held, with strikes coming from above the shoulder. I know nothing of animation so I don't really know how doable that sort of thing is, perhaps it could replace the backward slashing and strafing?

In any case, it looks very promising and it will be exciting to see how your project develops! The spear was arguably the number one 'go-to' weapon for many warriors of those days, so it sometimes baffles me that the weapon sees very little air time in RPGs but is always in a Strategy title like Age of Empires or Lords of the Realm.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PETNOS

The Javelins work similarly to the bow's in skyrim. When you have the "throw javelins" weapon equipped you simply hold down the mouse to unsheathe a javelin, you can then aim with the mouse and when you are ready to throw it you let go. Also there is no loss of movement at any stage during the process :) However the animations look a little weird if you are walking so It looks much better when you are stationary.

Also NPC's can use the Javelins just as well (if not better) as the player can :) Although I have seen some very rare cases where the NPC aims up and down repetitively and then throws it straight up :P And of course they are able to use the spear animations too :)

I actually have thought about having 2 handed spears (or polearms) I just haven't implemented them yet.

@Urwy

Correct :) When you have a sword equipped you will use the sword animations, when you have a spear equipped you will use the spear animations.

@TheGreenLion

I would also like to have some 'overhead' thrusts too :) I have them on my to do list

Actualy I should probably note that due to technical limitations, I have only been able to replace the power attack animations. However to compensate for this, NPC's wielding spears will now use power attacks much more frequently. Also, power attacks with spears will cost quite a bit less stamina and give a smaller boost to damage. I could also increase the amount of stagger caused by power attacks but I'll go through all this later when I'm balancing the gameplay.

Excellent idea, mate.

Do you have an idea when this will be released, if possible? Hopefully your mod surfaces sooner than later; the idea of working javelins and spears in Skyrim rubs me just the right way.

Cheers, mate.

Hi Soolie

I want to PM you about the project but you can't receive any new messages..

Any other way I could contact you?

Thanks!

Sorry, my inbox was full and I haven't had time to fully clean it. I just deleted a few old messages so you should be able to PM me now :)

Hrm, that would be a little odd. The javelins would make sense to have a perk branch in Archery, but the spears would make more sense in one-handed or two-handed (eventually). Maybe there could be perks in all three, allowing the player to take whichever branch they plan to use or be a 'spear master' and load up on all three.

Trouble will be with any mods that alter those branches, so it might be best to have them affected by the existing perks. Not super immersive but effective (or so I would think).

Compatibility patches? Whether with this mod or the other mods that affect those perk trees? Cause this seems like a mod that'll be popular enough for those to actually bother and make their mods compatible with this.