Simple keychain alternative: Rename Keys to zKeys

Smorky

I have tried various keychain mods, however they tend to slow down inventory use too much. So how about a simple mod that renames 'Keys' to 'zKeys' so it is last alphabetically, therefore removing the need to scroll past for half an hour to get to your gems and others.

• 3 months later...

Been away for a while, so I thought I'd give this a quick, reiterating bump.

I don't mean renaming the items themselves, just changing the order in which your inventory displays them. At the moment it goes (descending) books, keys, stones, misc. Meaning that you have to scroll down past your billion or so keys to get to stones or misc. If this order could be changed so that keys was last, all that scrolling would be prevented, and good times had by all. :)

Yeah, really. Why are you carrying around so many keys you'll probably never use anyway?

Because Oblvion (and mods) don't remove keys when they are no longer needed.

Example: When escaping from the Imperial City prison at the start of Vanilla Oblivion you get an Iron Key. This is used exactly once. I don't even know if it is ever possible to get back into that dungeon ever again.

I keep keys because I'm not sure if doors relock when the dungeon 'respawns' (do they?).

Usually not, no. However, a lot of ruins dungeon doors will relock, but you usually won't have a key for these anyway, so you have to keep picking them each time.

I guess I can see why someone might want to keep keys if they plan to revisit places repeatedly. I just stuff them all into a little box back at home where they're available if needed, but out of my way when not needed.

A few bags of holding would sure be handy instead, though.

Here's a simple solution. Download Midas Magic, and or any other mod which adds a spell to open a chest that is never really there. Then make a quickie mod (or download one that does this) that removes all keys as being targeted as Quest Item. This way, if you ever need the key again, you just cast the spell, open the chest, take the key, use it, cast again, put it away. It will be away from your inventory but fully accessible everywhere unless you are in a modded area that completely silences you. But I think that spell is immune to silence... I could be wrong. anyways, ya, its pretty simple.

Hell I have an old mod that I made for myself a long time ago, and then decided I didn't need it and deleted it, but its still up for download at the nexus. Its called Ranokoas Convenient Mod or something like that. Just search my name, Ranokoa, and scroll through my mods till you find it. should be near the top of the list. It makes all items in game flagged for not being a quest item. This does not affect their ability to be used in quests, all that flag does is make the item unable to be dropped, or removed via script using RemoveAllItems such as going to jail. It has no other purpose. This does mean that you will have to be careful when dropping a quest item because you can potentially loose it if you are careless, but all-in-all its pretty good.

There are other changes with my mod, however. Ones you might not want. Such as weight changes to weapons and armor, value changes, damage changes, ETC. All changes are just variabled numbers so theres no real harm, but if you don't like even one aspect of it you might not want it. Anyways, it was one of my little personal preference mods I decided to upload at the time.

I'm sure there are heaps of other mods that simply remove the quest flag, but idk any one specifically off the top of my head. Still, midas magic, or other chest spell mods, will definitely help organize and reduce key numbers significantly.

PS: Kudos on saving space on the forums by bumping your old topic rather than making a new one of the same need and nature.

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

If I have helped you solve your problem feel free to kudos me!