Removing mods and starting over?

Wick76

So I have several mods up and running now (after a lot of tinkering around and screwing things up), but all of the sudden the game is crashing. I didn't change anything for the last couple of days, but it just decided to start acting weird. Now that I semi-understand how the mods work, should I uninstall, and then re-install the mods I want? Can this be done safely with OBMM, or will it not actually remove everything the mods changed? I can post a list of the mods I want to run if that will help. I kinda want to start over with a clean install (just my OCD talking), but I have read horror stories about people trying that. I am running the Steam version of the game, in case that matters. If you need any other info, just let me know.

A mod list would help (perhaps you have one of the "problem child" mods installed).

Crashes can also start happening because of certain events, either added by a mod or even the vanilla game's quests (e.g. my latest playthrough was crashing at the point my Imperial Dragon Armor was ready for me to pick up). Often those types of problems can be solved by moving your character out of the active part of the game world and waiting three days to allow the cells to reset.

To do so you open the console using the tilde (~) key found right below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type "coc center" (without the quote marks) and then hit Enter. You'll be transported to an open plain with some trees in the distance and a bunch of logs at your feet. Using the game Wait menu (default the t key) wait 72 hours plus a bit more for good measure (three full days and a bit). Then open the console and "coc weye" (again no quotes, you could substitute another location in Cyrodiil if you know the correct location name). You'll be transported to inside the fisherman's shack at Weye (don't worry about trespassing, he won't mind). See if that helps.

Edited by Striker879

Before you do anything to your mods, its always good to run BOSS, what it does is sort your mods out in the best loadorder it can, its just an executable so there is no need to install anything into the oblivion data folder. Run BOSS, then try oblivion again, it also helps if you use OBSE (oblivion script extender). try these two things, if your oblivion keeps on crashing, then post us the mod list (in fact, its best if you do that anyway)

BOSS - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6/?

OBSE - http://obse.silverlock.org/

Edited by youdojo

I will try Striker's suggestion and see if that helps. It is happening because of an event I believe. I just led Amuesi out of the dungeon, and ran into Glarthir telling me to meet him behind the Chapel, or something along those lines. When I try to enter Skingrad, it locks up and crashes. Right before the last crash, I saw a large group of guards running and yelling. I will go ahead and list my mods below. This is the order they are in inside my mods folder. I am running OBSE and Blockhead as well.

Better Imperfect Water 1.1

Better Looking Tools 1.2

Crowded Cities 15% 1.0

Crowded Roads 1.6

DarNified UI 1.3.2

Faster Arrows 1.0

HGEC Body 1.21

Immersive Caves 1.4

Landmarks, w Wells 1.1

Natural Faces v95

OCOv2 1.0

Unique Landscapes Compilation 1.7.3 (This mod is not active because I thought it may be giving me some trouble)

I did the 72 hour thing. Between that and running BOSS, I am back in the game. Thanks peeps. Let me know if you see any issues with what I am running (so far).

On a side note...thanks a lot Striker. Now I feel obligated to help out this gimpy old fisherman out, since I used his house without his permission. Time for a swim in the lake :)

But you won't need to hold your breath after you finish helping him (I needed the reward before helping him the last time I gave him a hand ... did it when that character was level 2 or 3 and I think that character lost a leg to the darned fish).

The only question I have concerning your mod list is did you run into issues using Natural Faces along with OCOv2 (install order and load order would be important there I'd think)?

The easiest way is using the mod list shown on the left panel of Oblivion Mod Manager (though it's not always 100% accurate if you also manual install mods). When you hover your mouse cursor over each one a tooltip will show the hexadecimal load order number. As far as I know the order from top to bottom shown in OBMM will be accurate even if you also manually install mods, but the tooltip number won't be accurate (OBMM won't show the load order number for manually installed mods).

The best way is using Wrye Bash.

So I have several mods up and running now (after a lot of tinkering around and screwing things up), but all of the sudden the game is crashing. I didn't change anything for the last couple of days, but it just decided to start acting weird. Now that I semi-understand how the mods work, should I uninstall, and then re-install the mods I want? Can this be done safely with OBMM, or will it not actually remove everything the mods changed? I can post a list of the mods I want to run if that will help. I kinda want to start over with a clean install (just my OCD talking), but I have read horror stories about people trying that. I am running the Steam version of the game, in case that matters. If you need any other info, just let me know.

I install Oblivion fresh, then use 7zip and backup the Oblivion folder.

Anything goes wrong i just unzip that fresh version, and start over. But my mods are pretty organised, so it's easy for me.

From what i know mod's don't edit the regsitry so everything should run fine.

Though you may want too empty out the oblivion folder in "My Games".

Steam version should be similar i would have thought, unless you install the mods through steam?