Problems installing an OMOD with NMM

Riekitty

Ok, so here's the scenario: I have this OMOD I want to install, it's -HUGE- and NMM's brain stops working every time I try to install it. I want to extract things from the OMOD file so I can just handle it manually, the problem being this, when I extract the OMOD with 7zip I see these files:

> config

> data

> data.crc

> plugins

> plugins.crc

and frankly I don't know what to do with any of it. I'm pretty sure that all the meat of the mod is hiding in the 'data' file, but I don't know what to do to extract the useable information from it, from what I've read about the mod, it's supposed to have some scripted installer stuff in it to help the mod manager make up it's mind about what to install, but when I try to use NMM to do it, it reaches about half way and completely freezes up my computer, forcing me to do a hard reset.

So, if anyone can help, I'd be really happy! :D

Use Oblivion Mod Manager, either to install the mod or use it to extract the mod to a temporary folder. If you are an experienced modder you can look over the folder structure and the OMOD install scripts and figure out what the various options the mod offers and select from those to create your own personalized install. Once you get to that point your can either copy and paste to install or do whatever you need to do to get NMM to understand it to install.

By and large Nexus Mod Manager is a poor choice for installing Oblivion mods in general, and it's certainly never going to be able to handle OMODs.

Hey, Riekitty!

The omod files that have an scripted installation CAN'T be installed with NMM. They must be installed using OBMM. It would help us to determine if it can be installed manually if you told us which mod is. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the Readme that accompanies this mod states that it has to be installed via OBMM.

As a general rule, omod files can't be installed with NMM. Only with OBMM. Period. I think Wrye Bash can handle them too, but I don't know it for sure.

Cheers!

To be honest I don't remember seeing any specified directions about it needing to be installed only by OBMM, however that will be the next stop on my trail to success. Thank you both for your input.

Depending on the time this OMOD was released this is only natural, as back then the only software even able to open an OMOD file was OBMM. There was no need to give any specified directions about this, as it was an undebatable fact.

As of today you still cannot open an OMOD file with NMM, if it contains options and choices or install scripts. You also cannot just open an OMOD file with 7-Zip and expect to get any useable results. The OMOD file format was 'derived' from the 7-Zip file format, and as such is pretty much 'compatible', but the contents inside it still can only be read and understood correctly by the OBMM. You can, however, open the OMOD file with OBMM and 'convert' it into a 7-Zip. Then it can be extracted as usual for manual install purposes + it'll contain all OMOD information in an "omod conversion data" folder so it can always be 'reconverted' back into an OMOD by the click of a button.

This "omod conversion data" folder by the way is causing a lot of headache since the introduction of NMM to the site, as the NMM will read it, find install scripts inside it, for whatever unexplainable to me reason treat it as a FOMOD script, and fail the 1st function call it encounters, because it's written in a different scripting language. Nobody told it to even read the folder "OMOD conversion data", as it's NMM not OBMM, yet it always does so on its own volition and will abort any further file handling by throwing an error and breaking.