Rational defences... crying out for some mods

evilhippo

I guess I just misuderstood

the whole "crying out for mods" and "I can't make it myself but I want someone else to" kindof threw me off :biggrin:

But who knows, mabe I have just gotten trigger happy with my "vigilante posting arrows of doom"

It happens :P

But anyways, for the town I am currently building, the whole thing is surrounded by walls, I have 5 town gaurds, a hanfull of machine gun turrets, and several robots that you can repair and use to protect the city.

And that actually fits not just the lore but the observable in-game logic of the wastelands far better than wide open Canterbury Commons, which is little more than an open air Yao Gai/Radscorpion picnic site. Trading hub? yeah right. We have all seen albino radscorpions or yoggy bears or deathclaws wipe out CC and Arefu and Bigtown and that makes a complete nonsense of the whole story, not to mention the sheer absurdity of settlements of (more or less) intelligent humans getting wiped out what are just big bugs when all they need is a damn wall. Raiders and maybe super mutants could be a real threat to settlements, but not mindless critters. If a place cannot be defended, the people would either have already died out or moved somewhere that can be defended.

It is the most jarring thing about this basically excellent game... well, that and the realisation that Little Lamplight had better be a magnet for the Wasteland's orphans as the alternative explanation of why it has been full of children for 200 years is a bit... unsettling. :blink:

I guess I just misuderstood

the whole "crying out for mods" and "I can't make it myself but I want someone else to" kindof threw me off :biggrin:

But who knows, mabe I have just gotten trigger happy with my "vigilante posting arrows of doom"

It happens :P

But anyways, for the town I am currently building, the whole thing is surrounded by walls, I have 5 town gaurds, a hanfull of machine gun turrets, and several robots that you can repair and use to protect the city.

And that actually fits not just the lore but the observable in-game logic of the wastelands far better than wide open Canterbury Commons, which is little more than an open air Yao Gai/Radscorpion picnic site. Trading hub? yeah right. We have all seen albino radscorpions or yoggy bears or deathclaws wipe out CC and Arefu and Bigtown and that makes a complete nonsense of the whole story, not to mention the sheer absurdity of settlements of (more or less) intelligent humans getting wiped out what are just big bugs when all they need is a damn wall. Raiders and maybe super mutants could be a real threat to settlements, but not mindless critters. If a place cannot be defended, the people would either have already died out or moved somewhere that can be defended.

It is the most jarring thing about this basically excellent game... well, that and the realisation that Little Lamplight had better be a magnet for the Wasteland's orphans as the alternative explanation of why it has been full of children for 200 years is a bit... unsettling. :blink:

It is the super mutants that maked Little Lamplight pretty immpossible... you have a few little kids with guns protecting a town literally 100 yards away from a super mutant camp...

It is the super mutants that maked Little Lamplight pretty immpossible... you have a few little kids with guns protecting a town literally 100 yards away from a super mutant camp...

I agree completely but my point is Super Mutants are a believable threat whereas stupid beasties are just a (major) inconvenience. The only logical explanation why the Super Mutants have not wiped out Lamplight is children are probably no use to them when it comes to making more mutants and they are hardly more than a light snack ;D

I saw one lousy giant (not albino) radscorpion literally wipe out Bigtown a couple games ago (killed every single person in one fight)... and yet all they need to do it barricade the damn bridge with a wire fence door because scorpions don't know how to open doors :D They have a decent wall around the town so the logic of a FRONT DOOR should not be beyond their thinking.

Also Bigtown is portrayed as on the verge of being wiped out by the mutants, which is why there should be an ongoing quest to actually make them more defensible rather than just a one-off quest that saves them once. A gate = don't worry about the beasties... better guns and more fixed defences (a gun tower maybe) = viable defence against the mutants *next* time them come. Why Bethesda made a sandbox game like this and yet did not add stuff like that is a mystery to me. An hour with Real Time Settler and Bigtown becomes Festung Bigtown, the graveyard of Super Mutants... walls and good firing positions... it ain't rocket science really ;)