Suggestions for a novice modder

MyashiModding

Hi there,

i'm going to start my first mod. Basically i'm interested in making new weapon based on movies/ other games.

I saw some tutorial on youtube but i'm a little confused :mellow:

For example i choose the Tauriels dagger from The hobbit but i'm stucked.

I have to extract with FO3 the meshes of a dagger, modify in 3ds max and then import in skyrim as a duplicate of the first one ?

Or

I can do everything in 3ds max ( modelling and texture ) and then simply import in skyrim as a new weapon ?

I'm sure is not simple as seems but have a clear idea on How start could be a big help.

Edit: Hope the section is correct, otherwise pls move the tread.

Edited by Myashi

If you got a model done:

Import an existing dagger, example: Iron Dagger

Line up the grip. Make sure the pivot (0,0,0) is at where you want the hand to hold.

Delete the imported dagger.

export your dagger as a .nif

Open your newly made .nif, and the same dagger you imported into max.

Click on the mesh of the existing dagger(Example: Iron dagger) and delete it.

Copy the mesh from your new dagger. Paste it into the existing, iron, dagger.

Make sure you copy it to the exact same place where you deleted the existing one.

Save it as "Yourdagger.nif"

Put the .nif under "Meshes"

Put the .dds textures under "textures"

Make sure the texture are linked to the mesh.

Open the CK.

Open an Iron Dagger.

Change the mesh to your new mesh.

Change the ID and name.

Drop it somewhere.

Save the .esp

Load the .esp

There you go.

Sorry for the.. well.. weird explanation. I havn't modded in close to half a year now, and do not got any of the softwares.

If you need more help, just youtube/google "Skyrim weapon import"

Cheers,

Matth

There is a difference between creating an object that looks like one you saw somewhere else and 'ripping' that object ( copying the exact meshes and textures)

Ripping (short for ripping off or stealing) is not allowed for uploaded mods as the objects in other games will be copyrighted - that includes meshes and textures as well. And using copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright owner is not allowed.

If you are making an original that looks like the other one, using original meshes and textures created by you - that is perfectly fine for uploading here. :thumbsup:

24 views - 0 replies.

Thank you.

If you got a model done:

Import an existing dagger, example: Iron Dagger

Line up the grip. Make sure the pivot (0,0,0) is at where you want the hand to hold.

Delete the imported dagger.

export your dagger as a .nif

Open your newly made .nif, and the same dagger you imported into max.

Click on the mesh of the existing dagger(Example: Iron dagger) and delete it.

Copy the mesh from your new dagger. Paste it into the existing, iron, dagger.

Make sure you copy it to the exact same place where you deleted the existing one.

Save it as "Yourdagger.nif"

Put the .nif under "Meshes"

Put the .dds textures under "textures"

Make sure the texture are linked to the mesh.

Open the CK.

Open an Iron Dagger.

Change the mesh to your new mesh.

Change the ID and name.

Drop it somewhere.

Save the .esp

Load the .esp

There you go.

Sorry for the.. well.. weird explanation. I havn't modded in close to half a year now, and do not got any of the softwares.

If you need more help, just youtube/google "Skyrim weapon import"

Cheers,

Matth

There is a difference between creating an object that looks like one you saw somewhere else and 'ripping' that object ( copying the exact meshes and textures)

Ripping (short for ripping off or stealing) is not allowed for uploaded mods as the objects in other games will be copyrighted - that includes meshes and textures as well. And using copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright owner is not allowed.

If you are making an original that looks like the other one, using original meshes and textures created by you - that is perfectly fine for uploading here. :thumbsup:

To Dhegonus and Matth: Thank you guys, i'll look for these other tutorials and the suggestion when i'll be back from work :happy:

To Bben46: Yeah i know that ripping ( in general ) is not allowed. What i mean is making new meshes and textures inspired from the originals. So as you said i geuss it's ok :dance:

On this matter, i have another question ... if i would retexure some weapons/armors etc from skyrim i can upload here ? I have no questions about " how to do " there are a lot of tutorials on google :yes:

Edited by Myashi

Uploading a retexture of vanilla items is no issue at all. Even a retexture of mod-added items isnt a problem, as long as you have permission from the original author. =)