New PC for heavily (I mean HEAVILY) modded Skyrim 2014

eabbud

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card soon. Currently I have a GTX 660 Ti and can run realvision ENB on ultra settings just about. My fps is usually above 40, but my pc gets very hot when running the ENB so I'm thinking a more powerful graphics card will help? I'm pretty sure I have good cooling so it's not that, I think the graphics card just can't handle it, and sometimes I CTD from a GPU temperature spike (I use MSI afterburner). So I'm thinking, would a GTX 770 4gb be good? Or should I go for the 780? GTX 780 Ti is too expensive for me, and 780 is still pushing it. Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I recommend EVGA GTX 780 I believe its 569 right now on amazon...but I have been hearing whispers over at overclocker.net and toms hardware that with the release of the new GTX 900 line of cards around the corner that the GTX 780 is bound for a nice price drop at

2300 cuda cores and 3GB it can pretty much run Skyrim at 60 fps non stop with no problems at all even with 250 mods.

Well if you're getting CTDs because your GPU hit its safe max temperature then there is something wrong. It's either your current room temperature is too high and therefore you're getting higher temps than usual or your 660Ti needs some cleaning and possibly re-applying the thermal paste.

If you just wanna get rid of it and get a new GPU; first you need atleast 3GB VRAM, second nothing below 280x/770 will cut it. You can get a water cooled 780(which is something I'm thinking to buy in the near future) and overclock it safely since it's not gonna pass 60c even if you overclock it. It's performance will be very close to 780Ti(possibly even more). My choice would be Asus ROG Poseidon version of GTX780 since I'm a little bit of an ASUS fanboy and I really don't wanna bother with custom water cooling.