Girl Gamers

Herculine

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I be offended by this, or am I just a big crybaby?

Only if you take it seriously, and look at it as just a rehash of old stereotypes.

Personally, I got a very slight chuckle from it since it seemed like one of those things where you could see someone trying to make that connection, but the reality just doesn't hold up. Almost satire, can't really describe it. To me, it was more like an insult to the person who presented that idea since they obviously haven't left the house in the last 40 years. Nobody irons these days... It's what a drycleaner is for.

But, not a girl gamer, obviously, so my opinion on the matter means about as much as the dirt on your shoes.

I thought it was funny..the reason I do it because

a) I am a female and I game

b) It's the male in this house that deos the ironing

c) I am much better at most computer games than said male

So...anyone who doesnt know how cool girl gamers are.....*smirk*

I thought it was funny..the reason I do it because

a) I am a female and I game

b) It's the male in this house that deos the ironing

c) I am much better at most computer games than said male

So...anyone who doesnt know how cool girl gamers are.....*smirk*

you tell em, Goddess! :biggrin:

I wasn't offended.. but..

Are you from a country where this sort of perspective is still enforced?

No, I'm from the U. S. , which I suppose is why I feel such stereotypes should have disappeared long ago. I guess that's really why I posted the picture, to ask "Does anyone really still believe this?"

No, I'm from the U. S. , which I suppose is why I feel such stereotypes should have disappeared long ago. I guess that's really why I posted the picture, to ask "Does anyone really still believe this?"

Stereotypes are kind of like cockroaches. They're ugly, no one wants them around, and they never seem to die.

Look at all the other stereotypes that still exist today.. this one is no different. There will always be some people who believe we still belong only in the kitchen.

(But personally I found the comic a little on the funny side. =P)

I think laughing at these old stereotypes is far better than getting offended by them, laughing underlines the absurdity of it while getting offended tends to annoy people and come across as self righteous. It's not true in this house, I do the ironing. She does do the vacuuming though, apparently I "don't do it properly". :unsure: