Americans

t3hf4ll0ut

It was in the 1800's that the White House got torched, waaay back before WW2 (I don't think you were listening that history lesson), and it was those dastardly fellow countrymen of mine, the Brits, that did it. Some of whom may have been stationed in what was to become Canada.

Well was there any reason to be crude if I was specifically incorrect? If offensive was not your intent, do explain. And I learned this from school, so I don't believe I missed the history lesson fully. The Canadians or British, I DIDN'T know who, but I'd say that's what happened.

I don't think everyone who thinks that is a fanatic. And actually America is the most powerful country in the world.

It would bring you disappointment to say that I strongly disagree with you. Because Germany itself also thought they could rule the world, and look what happened to them.

I will not discuss this further because I know the real story. I respect opinions of all, but I'm not going to allow myself to hear an American tell me apart from my beliefs, even though I'll say Russia was rumored to have more nukes than America.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would bring you disappointment to say that I strongly disagree with you. Because Germany itself also thought they could rule the world, and look what happened to them.

A measure of a country's power is how many other countries he can destroy before he himself is destroyed. This includes economic power, military power, a term I call 'gross manufacture power' and nationalistic support from the people. We've lost 1, 3, and we've almost run out of 4....

I believe China has us beat at this point. All they have to do is lift the baby cap, and we're doomed. America, at one time, could have taken Europe. We have certainly lost it in today's age, but we seem to still be envied by other countries. It counts for something I suppose.

@Lord Slyther,

Having enjoyed your version of revisionist American history could I point you to a local library? Nineteen and you you know the truth...you are doing much better than I did at your age. I am aware that living adjacent to us can cause a sense of inundation to our cultural imperatives...but get a grip, we are not going away anytime soon. No world empire was ever loved by it's rivals or by lessor powerful nations at it's zenith, this is to be expected. But at least condemn us for actions not perceptions, it seems that you would prefer not to credit us for any alturistic ideals what so ever. No society ever could promulgate so much without having something to offer the world of value, it's their choice whether to accept or not. This debate started out so civilized....now not so much.

This is where I grow confused. Maybe I am naive and don't see the US as having intentions of trying to rule the world. Or possibly the misconception on a lot of peoples minds when they think of America and Americans is that we want to rule the world.

No world empire was ever loved by it's rivals or by lessor powerful nations at it's zenith, this is to be expected. But at least condemn us for actions not perceptions, it seems that you would prefer not to credit us for any alturistic ideals what so ever. No society ever could promulgate so much without having something to offer the world of value, it's their choice whether to accept or not.

+1

My ethnic sociology class was full of people that wished they lived in another country. Though during my speech when I brought up the fact that civilizations are where they are through conquering some peoples eyes were opened. Maybe they just never thought about it.

My ethnic sociology class was full of people that wished they lived in another country.

Which was probably the main reason why they were in the class... There's a joke in this about how most of the people who are involved within certain fields have very similar quirks (beyond academics), but it would be too far off topic.

As for the reason why western society has propagated so much... It's really all about money, cocacola and rock and roll. But, right now we're getting the flipside as Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin-American companies have more and more impact on North American business and culture. They don't need to crush us with military might or fly planes into our buildings, they only need to buy their way into the culture and change it from within.

we are not going away anytime soon. No world empire was ever loved by it's rivals or by lessor powerful nations at it's zenith, this is to be expected. But at least condemn us for actions not perceptions, it seems that you would prefer not to credit us for any alturistic ideals what so ever. No society ever could promulgate so much without having something to offer the world of value, it's their choice whether to accept or not. This debate started out so civilized....now not so much.

No, nothing's gonna end anyway, it's either some changes in the governments soon, or 2nd degree depression of chaos. The only thing would bring countries to an end, or by that time, the whole world would end. It takes 20 nukes for global Armageddon. Then once the nuclear winter ends, the human race would be exterminated, along with any living life, or in that case irradiated, I do not know the specifics or the outcome of nuclear war. In fact, no country's ever gonna end from what I see. To consider the credit topic, your country may have made the internet, but we made telephones. We're not just some sitting ducks here in Canada. We can do stuff too.

Hey! I can tell you why I as an American am Stupid. It is the same way everywhere I go. Until I meet you I am not going to know you, when I first meet you I am not sure I will like you, or you me, and until we have found things we share face to face in common and find time to get past our difference's in our ways of thinking we wont trust each other much.

War never changes until we find that we like each other I may be stupid to you, but hey! I can live with that as long as you don't throw the first punch when I am trying to explain to you what I mean when I hold up my hand and act like I am spooning food into my mouth.

To a pugilist holding up my hand with my knuckles facing my opponent tends to make the pugilist's wary of my intentions until they see I start moving it like I was putting some food in my mouth.

your country may have made the internet, but we made telephones. We're not just some sitting ducks here in Canada. We can do stuff too.

Is this a joke... I am not very up on all that kind of stuff so for all I know China or Russia could have made the internet.

Reminds me of that running joke about how Al Gore created the internet.:D

I do not think that anyone is claiming that if you are not America you are worthless or even less than. I never have felt that way and no one I know has ever felt that way. I am not a history buff so I really cannot say anything on what countries have contributed what to human civilization but I am sure that a lot of countries have contributed just as much if not more than the US.

I probably know less about my own country than most immigrants and more about other countries in general. This is however my own fault as I find American history boring (other than war and a few other topics) and find other countries fascinating. My friend on another forum is Australian and I did a whole big tribute to the Aussies on that forum took me about 3 hours to put it together it was funny and informative. Guess my point is that although I am American, believe my country is the best to live in, am very patriotic (in my own ways) and if I had to, would defend myself with deadly force we are not all lunatics that frown on, bully, make fun of and belittle other peoples or countries because we live in America and others don't.

(Lord Slyther @ Mar 14 2010, 10:44 PM)

To consider the credit topic, your country may have made the internet, but we made telephones. We're not just some sitting ducks here in Canada. We can do stuff too.

(SWAT_WaLkAwaY)

I do not think that anyone is claiming that if you are not America you are worthless or even less than. I never have felt that way and no one I know has ever felt that way. I am not a history buff so I really cannot say anything on what countries have contributed what to human civilization but I am sure that a lot of countries have contributed just as much if not more than the US.

This contribution thing catches my attention. And make me ponder a little bit.

How about my country, how did we contribute really?

I guess this contribution thing is very relative. You contributed in relation to what? in relation to technology? in relation to culture? in relation economics? etc.. etc.. And contributed in relation/comparison to whom? to first world countries? to third world countries? to countries who suffered a lot because of war/famine/calamities. etc.. etc..

Because it is relative, no one could definitely claim to precision the magnitude of the contribution. It's like on a stage play, mostly the performers would take the bulk of everything. No one easily manage to notice the crew behind the stage. But all of them contributed to make the play beautiful.

Well, i guess, if evryone will be the performer the stage play would be disastrous. :rolleyes: