Americans

t3hf4ll0ut

I've never been to America, but many of my aqcuiaintances have, some regularly. I'll have to say they react... quite unimpressed, all of them. However, american people I met here, at least those I had some time knowing and older than teenagers... well, if there's anything wrong with them, then I haven't yet noticed that.

Am I the only one that thinks that statement just seems, well, weird?

I mean what were their expectations, what were they expecting to be impressed by? I guess if you've been to Tokyo you wouldn't be much impressed with Times Square maybe..? But if you were looking to be impressed maybe the destination should be Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, Sequoia National Park, the Everglades, the Mississippi river, The Rocky Mountains, Kentucky Bluegrass country, the Chesapeake Bay, and all sorts of wonderful, beautiful natural treasures we have in pockets of every state, here. But I can't imagine an average real American that would "try" to impress a foreigner. We can be dumb as a box of hair but we are friendly folk. And all the foreigners I know always mention that.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can be dumb as a box of hair but we are friendly folk. And all the foreigners I know always mention that.

Amen to that, sister! It's exactly what I say about America ;)

You might be interested to read my second year paper titled "The search for happiness through consumption", myrmaad, as it picks up on the key points of capitalism and mass consumer markets as a driver for people's false perceptions of happiness. It also got me a 1st class honours for that module :D

We can be dumb as a box of hair but we are friendly folk. And all the foreigners I know always mention that.

You might be interested to read my second year paper titled "The search for happiness through consumption", myrmaad, as it picks up on the key points of capitalism and mass consumer markets as a driver for people's false perceptions of happiness. It also got me a 1st class honours for that module :D

Sounds like it'd be a good read to me as well. It does bother me though that there are many people here that think lots of money will bring them happiness (which we all know, is the fake sort).

But again, that's the case anywhere. It all just boils down to a few people in the world who are like that. The majority of people in all countries are good, with morals in the world. The mistakes of a few should never hurt the majority of us. (Like one should not be judged by the sins of their fathers as they say).

Sounds very interesting, I'd love to read it, I've always felt exactly the same way about our conspicuous consumption, and how it's glamorized by an unfettered profit-driven media.

And jaosals42,

I think your heart's in the right place, but I think you're wrong if you don't think that Americans, particularly, reflect their cultural indoctrination of materialism and the media reflects it right back:

How many times have you heard you must "dress for success", and "clothes make the man"? Because I worked in Corporate and I was a size 2 and always looked great, but I let it out one day that I liked to shop at Goodwill and the big boss came and actually "dressed me down", and I didn't last much longer at that particular company, luckily I went on to bigger more successful corporations here.

How about the popularity of show like Sex in the City where the main character obsessed over designer shoes that cost upwards of $400 and more.

How about the true stories of kids being shot for their tennis shoes especially in the 90s?

We are indoctrinated to believe we're supposed to get a diamond engagement ring that cost at the very least 3 months' salary; we think we need mega weddings (by the way I had an unforgettable wedding day and it cost $400). How about we think we need Hummers, SUVs (it's our way of life dammit!) we have to use our cars to transport us all singularly to our jobs 45 minutes and more away from home so we can afford our McMansions.

Are you for real or just not paying attention? I'm sorry if that sounded rude, slap me with a wet noodle but I take a lot of pride in using as small a carbon footprint as possible while living in American society.

Sounds very interesting, I'd love to read it, I've always felt exactly the same way about our conspicuous consumption, and how it's glamorized by an unfettered profit-driven media.

And jaosals42,

I think your heart's in the right place, but I think you're wrong if you don't think that Americans, particularly, reflect their cultural indoctrination of materialism and the media reflects it right back:

How many times have you heard you must "dress for success", and "clothes make the man"? Because I worked in Corporate and I was a size 2 and always looked great, but I let it out one day that I liked to shop at Goodwill and the big boss came and actually "dressed me down", and I didn't last much longer at that particular company, luckily I went on to bigger more successful corporations here.

How about the popularity of show like Sex in the City where the main character obsessed over designer shoes that cost upwards of $400 and more.

How about the true stories of kids being shot for their tennis shoes especially in the 90s?

We are indoctrinated to believe we're supposed to get a diamond engagement ring that cost at the very least 3 months' salary; we think we need mega weddings (by the way I had an unforgettable wedding day and it cost $400). How about we think we need Hummers, SUVs (it's our way of life dammit!) we have to use our cars to transport us all singularly to our jobs 45 minutes and more away from home so we can afford our McMansions.

Are you for real or just not paying attention? I'm sorry if that sounded rude, slap me with a wet noodle but I take a lot of pride in using as small a carbon footprint as possible while living in American society.

I still heavily believe that money does not bring happiness. I know firsthand (being a spoiled child myself in several ways, :s) as I may ask for something one day, enjoy that same day and act like I am very happy with it, and maybe a few days later, then forget about it and want something new.

That comes from my own experiences, so regardless of what they may say on television (and I don't watch much TV btw), I again, do not believe money brings happiness. Just a brief idea of "happiness" (Which is merely satisfaction rather) and then it goes away. True happiness will come from great, lasting relationships/friendships and getting to know your family, enjoying nature as it is meant to be, and merely finding yourself and who you truly wish to be.

That, is the true definition of happiness. And that version of it, does not go away easily.

I still heavily believe that money does not bring happiness. I know firsthand (being a spoiled child myself in several ways, :s) as I may ask for something one day, enjoy that same day and act like I am very happy with it, and maybe a few days later, then forget about it and want something new.

That comes from my own experiences, so regardless of what they may say on television (and I don't watch much TV btw), I again, do not believe money brings happiness. Just a brief idea of "happiness" (Which is merely satisfaction rather) and then it goes away. True happiness will come from great, lasting relationships/friendships and getting to know your family, enjoying nature as it is meant to be, and merely finding yourself and who you truly wish to be.

That, is the true definition of happiness. And that version of it, does not go away easily.

That's all fine and dandy, and there are a lot of nice Americans who agree with your sentiment.

But it misses the point which goes sailing over their heads, and yours.

We do not change our selfish materialistic lifestyle while we use up the world's energy sources "like there's no tomorrow", leaving very damn little for anyone else. We think we are entitled to our gas guzzling automobile dependent society. And we're just not. We're not entitled to it. As long as we do not change we are complicit in a vast hideous evil selfish consumptive gluttony.

Consumption is Sick. - Me

That's all fine and dandy, and there are a lot of nice Americans who agree with your sentiment.

But it misses the point which goes sailing over their heads, and yours.

We do not change our selfish materialistic lifestyle while we use up the world's energy sources "like there's no tomorrow", leaving very damn little for anyone else. We think we are entitled to our gas guzzling automobile dependent society. And we're just not. We're not entitled to it. As long as we do not change we are complicit in a vast hideous evil selfish consumptive gluttony.

Consumption is Sick. - Me

I'm completely aware of this trite fact. Some people here will just die having done nothing but consume their entire lives: drink some soda, toss it away -- get some pizza, toss the box away -- get a car, send it to a junkyard when it breaks down -- get a house, sell it when you want a bigger one.

Some people will never care. Still, (forgive me if I am too much of an optimist) they may at least learn what they are doing is wrong, and even if they don't change their ways, maybe they will teach their kids or younger peoples to do otherwise. While the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, they still will grow into a new different tree independent of the mother. There's still a chance that one generation will come up and change our ways. After all, change is the way of nature.

I've never been to America, but many of my aqcuiaintances have, some regularly. I'll have to say they react... quite unimpressed, all of them. However, american people I met here, at least those I had some time knowing and older than teenagers... well, if there's anything wrong with them, then I haven't yet noticed that.

I guess it really depends on the person. Speaking as one of those who aren't normally impressed with locations in general, I haven't really been impressed with anything I've seen, and can't really name anywhere I would really like to visit. In truth, being that I've lived in areas that have horrible light pollution my whole life, there no place on the earth that would probably impress me as much as being able to see more than a dozen or so stars in the sky... Something which many people have had the privilege of for the last 30-40 thousand+ years. I can see pictures of just about anywhere on the planet, and although pictures may not do it justice, and there is still that sense of mild awe of being there, and enjoying the scenery, but in my mind, nothing compares to the thought of staring up into the sky and seeing the universe, or atleast a small portion of it with the naked eye. What is the point of all this? To illustrate that those things which might seem mundane to some can be marvelous to others. Likewise, what can be marvelous or have a sense of pride and significance to some might seem mundane to others. If you don't understand the context of why it might be held in higher regard, you likely won't see it yourself. Most of America is really just cities, suburbs, and small towns, same with almost any other industrialized country, to a greater or lesser degree. Once you've seen one grouping of buildings, it's hard to really be impressed with any others. I will agree with myrmaad though, many of the national and state parks might be of interest to a traveler who isn't accustomed to seeing those kinds of things.

Am I the only one that thinks that statement just seems, well, weird?

I mean what were their expectations, what were they expecting to be impressed by? I guess if you've been to Tokyo you wouldn't be much impressed with Times Square maybe..? But if you were looking to be impressed maybe the destination should be Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, Sequoia National Park, the Everglades, the Mississippi river, The Rocky Mountains, Kentucky Bluegrass country, the Chesapeake Bay, and all sorts of wonderful, beautiful natural treasures we have in pockets of every state, here. But I can't imagine an average real American that would "try" to impress a foreigner. We can be dumb as a box of hair but we are friendly folk. And all the foreigners I know always mention that.

I'm sorry to misguide you, I just didn't want to be rude. But you can interpret my statement in the first post's context. I may just mention that hospitality and friendliness are common to us russians too, so I doubt that was the reason. Even as we're a little alienated lately.

Well, the question was asked "Why americans are viewed as stupid by other?" and you all try to answer. And I, being another "other", try to answer too. But personally I don't think american people are that. We have our own idiots aplenty and I can't compare who is worst. I can't offer the same IQ list you offered as we don't have such "fashion" here :)

I guess it really depends on the person. Speaking as one of those who aren't normally impressed with locations in general, I haven't really been impressed with anything I've seen, and can't really name anywhere I would really like to visit. In truth, being that I've lived in areas that have horrible light pollution my whole life, there no place on the earth that would probably impress me as much as being able to see more than a dozen or so stars in the sky... Something which many people have had the privilege of for the last 30-40 thousand+ years. I can see pictures of just about anywhere on the planet, and although pictures may not do it justice, and there is still that sense of mild awe of being there, and enjoying the scenery, but in my mind, nothing compares to the thought of staring up into the sky and seeing the universe, or atleast a small portion of it with the naked eye. What is the point of all this? To illustrate that those things which might seem mundane to some can be marvelous to others. Likewise, what can be marvelous or have a sense of pride and significance to some might seem mundane to others. If you don't understand the context of why it might be held in higher regard, you likely won't see it yourself. Most of America is really just cities, suburbs, and small towns, same with almost any other industrialized country, to a greater or lesser degree. Once you've seen one grouping of buildings, it's hard to really be impressed with any others. I will agree with myrmaad though, many of the national and state parks might be of interest to a traveler who isn't accustomed to seeing those kinds of things.

No doubt. I just tried my best to explain. Perhaps I'm too polite sometimes so it misguides people. But those friends I spoke about are all young, smart and friendly (in fact all are younger, more friendly and less contemptuous than me). Maybe that was just bad luck, and yet that was specifically about people themselves. I bet if you visit Russia, you would not be impressed as well, though the most obvious things we don't have enough is not intelligence. It's more likely order.

This was a fine post. Too much was made of Sarya's use of the word 'unimpressed' instead of shocked or surprised. Her closing sentence politely stated that of the American people she had met in Russia, all were fine or unexceptional. And..

... I bet if you visit Russia, you would not be impressed as well, though the most obvious things we don't have enough is not intelligence. It's more likely order.

Again a disarming gesture was made by suggesting that Russians themselves might use off the cuff (extemporaneous) statements to reflect upon their own situation. In truth, Sarya is very polite and gracious. Especially when one considers English is likely not her first language.

What has yet to be examined in this thread is the basis of the question originally posed. Does or should it matter if a bias exists suggesting that Americans are dullards? Why be distracted by what is essentially hot air? U.S. President Richard Nixon once referred to then Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau by saying 'That _sshole Trudeau is something else.' When Trudeau learned that Nixon had called him an _sshle, he responed with 'I've been called worse things by better people.' And, really, Canadians look upon that footnote of history with a smile and giggle. In no way is Nixon ever diminished for his colourful choice of words or perspective. Why? Because Trudeau was an obvious intellectual and cultured person and official dealings between the two were conducted in an atmosphere of mutual respect.

-Kitten