CROWS VIDEO TUTORIALS

Crowbennett08

:blink: Seem to have touched a nerve.

I think that you at least have to be a moderator to pin threads, maybe only admin can do it.

"Men of talent must be dragged kicking and screaming to achieve their potential". I think that it was Bruce Lee who said that.

The question is not so much whether I or anyone else can make a better tutorial than you have done, but whether you can. I know that when creative people hear "That was good, but it could be better" all they tend to hear is "it could be better". People really only want to hear praise, and anything less is seen as harsh criticism. Adults especially take that personally and get angry. I know that I found certain criticisms very hard to take regarding my own mod, especially when they were repetitive on a point that I did not know how to correct. But regardless of how I came away feeling about the person criticizing my work I still took note of their points if I could see that they were valid points. I used them to make my mod better; never flawless but better. It takes a calm mind to see the difference between hateful BS and valid constructive criticism.

You don't have to do anything to make your tutorials easier to read. But we work with a Graphical User Interface and images trump audio everytime when it comes to conveying information. "A picture is worth a thousand words" and all that. It can be very helpful to be able to pause a video and check it against the GUI that you are working with to be certain that you are following the instructions correctly, especially when you aren't getting it and your frustration levels are high. Only people that aren't getting it are likely to use tutorials in the first place. It is not always as easy to follow vocal instructions for a visual process.

I don't hate you or your videos. I don't know you and I haven't seen any of them. I was only responding to the comments already in this thread. I know that zoomed views of GUIs are possible in video tutorials because I have seen them. And you don't have to use them, may not even know how to do them, but it is not necessarily a feeble demand of an attention deficit disordered mind to think that a more clear view of the interface in the tutorial would be an improvement.

You should consider it an attempt at a supportive push more than hateful BS.

I'm not adding to anything to be negative Crow, the more I watched to follow along...eventually I get lost down the road my man, I can't figure out what your hitting within the options you select in drop boxes etc.

I am listening, but the second you don't mention what you're selecting, I'm lost from advancing along with the tutorial...

I'm a pretty keen guy, but it was quick to get lost

His tutorials are still the only ones of their kind and teach you the jist of things. They might not be the best in the world, but they are certaintly better then nothing. Somethings he talks about in his tutorials are a bit more advanced and shouldn't really be attempted by beginners of the GECK. I took his tutorials and didn't have very many problems, and if I did have a problem I was very easily able to figure it out. Thank you Crow for your time and dedication to all of us spoiled brats here at Nexus! :thanks:

alright, so i just uploaded and added 5 new tutorials that include the painstaking keying of dialog boxes. i will do this from now on, so that people can SEE what i'm doing, and i MIGHT go back and do this for the other tutuorials as well. i will most likely do SHORTER versions of the NPC dialog, and Radio Tutorials.

Now do me a favor and watch the new ones "beginner tutorials" and tell me if you can SEE those. turds. i say that with lots of love. i love the nexus, and as far as there being brats here on the nexus.... i've been to way worse sites. i did the planet fallout thing for a little while. just wasn't my style.

Did you still wish for this thread to be locked?

Making videos where text must be visible is a VERY difficult goal to achieve and near impossible if uploaded to YouTube.

The best combination I have found is to create the video to be downloaded in WMV or AVI format which will allow the video to be much larger when detail is necessary (ex: 1024 x 768) and uploaded it to the Nexus. Using YouTube is more of a secondary convienence to allow quick previews for people to determine if they want to download the high-res video. Uploading a 1024 x 768 video to YouTube will make it very difficult due to the lack of quality in the final result. So in that scenario, it is best to include text overlays, voice-overs or zoom-ins that clarify what is going on in the smaller areas of the video. If you do not have the video tools to do post-production tricks like that, then you need to record your video with smaller dimensions which will make everything larger.

It is also very problematic with text in videos if the original source is resized in any way during the entire process. My last video had to be completely re-shot because my original dimensions of the video capture did not match the final export size perfectly which made all the text nearly impossible to read even though the video was 1280 x 720 (high definition).

If your end-result will only be on YouTube, your source video needs to be captured in the EXACT dimensions (or power thereof) that YouTube will utilize...thus reducing the above problem of a resized video causing havok on fine lines and text.

Example: Blender Tutorial - Adding Textures

NOTE: The example video has a voice-over so I included a transcription of what was said in the comments which helps those whose language is not English to use a translator tool.

PS - If this thread is locked, you would not be able to edit it any further. Even if you only use YouTube videos, I recommend creating an upload on FO3Nexus and utilizing the "Videos" tab to store all your YouTube videos similar to the example I provided above.

LHammonds

:D hey hammonds,

thanks for the info and the reply. I would say go ahead and lock the thread. i'm going to make more, but i will most like do what you suggested and just .rar the video file and post them as files on the nexus.

:thanks:

Crow