Construction Set problem

oddkaos

ok so i downloaded the oblivion construction set from here: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index...uction_Set_v1.2

everytime i load it up it says TES construction set has stopped working.

I thought it might have been the .ini so i looked for that and i cant even find it!

any suggestions?

The CS ini is in the same folder as the game ini file. But if it doesn't load properly it possibly hasn't created one.

Do you have the latest game patch as well as the CS version 1.2?

Which Operating system do you have...Vista or WindowsXP? I believe there can be some issues with Vista so someone who uses it may be able to help. I use WindowsXP so i can't help you there.

The CS ini is in the same folder as the game ini file. But if it doesn't load properly it possibly hasn't created one.

Which Operating system do you have...Vista or WindowsXP? I believe there can be some issues with Vista so someone who uses it may be able to help. I use WindowsXP so i can't help you there.

Yes, thats where i looked for the cs ini, it was not there! i reinstalled several times and it just isnt being created! and yes i do use vista, maybe you can send me a link to download the ini?

EDIT: yes they are both at 1.2

but oblivion is 1.2.0416 or something like that and the cs is 1.2.404

Yes, thats where i looked for the cs ini, it was not there! i reinstalled several times and it just isnt being created! and yes i do use vista, maybe you can send me a link to download the ini?

EDIT: yes they are both at 1.2

but oblivion is 1.2.0416 or something like that and the cs is 1.2.404

please note last paragraph

Vista Problems

You MUST be signed on as an Administrator to do any of this.

If you have downloaded and installed a mod, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game And you are running Vista, you have run into a security feature of Vista called User Account Control. Or more simply, UAC.

Quoted from the Oblivion Mods FAQ WIKI

Alternate Install Directory

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located within the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Look here for instructions on how to turn UAC off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

[please note last paragraph

Vista Problems

You MUST be signed on as an Administrator to do any of this.

If you have downloaded and installed a mod, and the mod is appearing in your Data Files List, but not in your game And you are running Vista, you have run into a security feature of Vista called User Account Control. Or more simply, UAC.

Quoted from the Oblivion Mods FAQ WIKI

Alternate Install Directory

If you install your Elder Scrolls game into any directory OTHER than the default, none of these problems occur. Thus, you can bypass the Vista security issues by installing the game onto another hard drive or into a new directory that is not located within the "Program Files" root directory (such as "C:\Games").

Run as Admin

Another way to fix it is to right-click the ".exe" file and click properties, then check "Run as administrator". Then click OK. Do this for both the "oblivion.exe" and TESConstructionSet.exe", and any programs you are using that copies files to protected directories (such as WinRAR, 7z, or WinZip).

Disable UAC

Windows Vista users who are fairly confident in the security of their computers might also consider disabling UAC altogether. This will allow all programs writing privileges to the Program Files directory. Although this obviously creates a state of decreased security for your PC, it is a very helpful one-size-fits-all solution to a number of compatibility issues with the Vista OS.

Look here for instructions on how to turn UAC off. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

Of these, solution #1 is STRONGLY PREFERRED. Solutions 2 and 3 (running as admin and disabling UAC) remove important safety features of the OS. In contrast, installing Oblivion elsewhere resolves the problems with Oblivion without reducing your overall security.

Wiki entry on installing Oblivion in Vista: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

Note that unless you opt to reinstall the game in a different location (option 1) when you start trying to make your own mods using the construction set, you will run into these problems again.

i am logged on as an admin, i did hit run as admin, i did move oblivion.exe, tesconstructionset.exe, and ssce5432.dll to my desktop to use it (before i even posted here) and i get a could not find ctl file, if i leave it in the default than it just stops working

Try moving Oblivion folder to another place, don't keep it in the default. This should work, it did for me. Oh, and one more thing, it doesn't work if you move the .exe only or have admin powers, although the latter one helps.

Try moving Oblivion folder to another place, don't keep it in the default. This should work, it did for me. Oh, and one more thing, it doesn't work if you move the .exe only or have admin powers, although the latter one helps.

just moved the oblvion folder to my user folder, that didnt work either i still get TES construction set has stopped working message.. im telling you.. i think its the ini.. i just dont have it can someone please just upload it somewhere?

just moved the oblvion folder to my user folder,

I hope you don't mean manually?

You need to install oblivion in another folder and CS follow that path. (when you install it.)

To your user folder isn't really a good idea as that is protected for as certain amount as well.

Something like C:\Games or C:\Alternate Program Files. etc...

just moved the oblvion folder to my user folder,

I hope you don't mean manually?

You need to install oblivion in another folder and CS follow that path. (when you install it.)

To your user folder isn't really a good idea as that is protected for as certain amount as well.

Something like C:\Games or C:\Alternate Program Files. etc...

everything you people say is very vague and im starting to get rally pissed off cause i feel like im going on a damn wild goose chase tell me what i should do EXACTLY!!!! ty....

AND CAN SOMEONE PLEASE UPLOAD THE DAMN INI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO as i was looking everywhere in my damn folders for an answer because everything anyone posted was absolute rubbish and didnt help at all! i found a text doc called editor warnings.. the contents was:

Unable to load CTL file

Cannot load the atmosphere model.

Cannot load the stars.

Cannot load the clouds.