be scared very scared

kleinstaff

so i recently bought Fallout 3

beautifull game and i don(t really know why i waited so long to buy it

Anyway game works oerfect now and after a few hours on a test character i started a serious play thru

but i stumbled on a problem

i got to scared to leave megatown , especially after my trip to the supermarket where my character probably died a dozen times

anyway i am not going to give up but i could use some directions

maybe i should lower the difficulty rating for a while aswell

Never lower the playing setting, keep it in the middle. The game was made to be played at that setting. Fallout 3 is supposed to be hard. As some characters will tell you in game; it takes 100 bullets to kill a mutated bear. You can't expect to become a super hero just after one day eh? Come on, be real. this is not a hack n slash game.Take the time and do it right. It will be much more rewarding that way. Some of the best mods for Fallout 3 actually make the game much much harder so if you already can't take the heat you may not enjoy this game too much because the game gets a lot harder once you meet a few super mutants xD

Follow the advice given to you. Start with doing the quests given to you from the characters in the city. There are a few easy ones you could do before fighting an entire gang by yourself. Here is a mod that I do like and may help you out; http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/1814/?

thx people , i lowered the setting to adept

i had set it to hard , i was under the impression they used the same scales in FO3 as they did in the ES series , obvious i was mistaken on that

anywat i did some more of morias shopping and got to explore alot more of the area around megatown i l getting there

Don't be ashamed to run when facing something you don't understand yet - You may need a bigger gun, better armor or some other advantage before taking on some things you may run into in the wasteland. Sometimes shooting it will just draw it's attention to you. And some can run faster than you so run early. A pack of molerats may not look all that dangerous but with a beginning gun, you just cannot shoot fast enough to take down even 3 at once.

Hints

sneak - a lot

when you have time, drop mines and back up before shooting

When facing some creatures get up on a high place and they may have problems reaching you. But others will just find a way up.

Use vats, use jet to give you more shots in vats. Be ready to use stimpacks & other meds to stay alive during combat. Sell or trade anything you can carry - watch your weight allowance and drop heavy items that don't sell for a lot more than lighter items that don't slow you down.

Keep your weapons and armor repaired as best you can - a weapon loses effectiveness when it is in poor repair.

well after 2 weeks it is going better now

learned how to use cover and so forth

i downloaded the FWE mod while this makes the game more hardcore i like the increased damage of weapons , meaning you can actually oneshot people and small creatures even when it works the other way round aswell and you can get one shoted aswell, but atleast my character dies less often now much less

thx for the advice people

• 4 weeks later...

Take a good long hard look at explosive weapons,

I didn't like sniping in Fallout its not that exciting, but with grenades and frag mines plus sneak and small guns...Well it gets very exciting. Also if following quests isn't your thing F3 has a large world space, get out there and explore. Also its not ok to try to kill everything with your starter gear but that said I played with mods and found the 10 mm pistol plus insane amount of ammo was too OP.

• 1 month later...

Hruff!

The very first time I played FO3 [about 3.5 years ago, vanilla game, normal mode] I didn't even get through Springvale to Megaton before I got ripped apart by 2 wild dogs.

After my character was "reborn" from my death, I almost made it to Megaton after getting chewed up by a couple of giant ants I foolishly engaged near Springvale School, only to get shot in the back by a raider from long distance. Died again.

Was so paranoid after that it took me nearly 2 days of game time sneaking, freaking, hiding and running to get to the Megaton gates.

I had been thinking much along the lines of " I've played a few FPS/3rdP games, I'm not bad at them, starting out should be a cakewalk ".

WRONG!

I was so use to "linear" style shooters [start at A, limited/directed areas to work thru, get to B to advance to next "level/map"] that the "open world" concept totally trashed my supposed combat tactics I had "developed".

I'm now an "Open-World" games addict and find it somewhat boring playing "Linears", finding the restrictions on where you can go and what you can do in game a bit of a snoozer.

Don't get me wrong, I still play them for variation [currently have a BioShock 2 game on the go when I need a "break"], but there's nothing like getting "smacked around" by some "reality".

Hell, if it was not for the Pip-Boy map and objective pointers, I'd probably still be wandering around, completely lost...

LOVE IT!