Odd 5 second freeze with music change.

Deepblue321

You could look in Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers (at least that's where in WinXP ... should be similar in Win 8, Win 7 or Vista).

Realtek will be the sound. It's onboard audio chips that mostly use your CPU for sound processing.

You can identify which particular Realtek chipset you have either through Device Manager or look for the Realtek control panel applet in your Control Panel. You can download the latest drivers for it at Realtek Downloads. Click through "High Definition Audio Codec (Software)" (unless you have an old AC'97 chipset) and then after accepting the agreement you select the closest download site for you that goes with the version you need (32 bit operating system or 64 bit OS).

The newest version of their drivers will uninstall your old one for you (if I recall correctly ... my non-gaming laptop uses Realtek but I haven't updated in a while). If you've never updated the drivers before it could be that the old Realtek drivers aren't getting along with your new nVidia driver from your new video card.

The latest version of the Realtek drivers is R2.73 (you should be able to find the version number you currently have through either the Realtek control panel or Device Manager).

Thing I don't like about anything that automatically does anything (e.g. update drivers) is when I manually update something and then my machine starts doing something I know what I've just done and can start troubleshooting. When something is given free reign over my machine and can do whatever it feels like whenever it feels like and suddenly my machine isn't working right I have to sort through a plate of noodles looking for where to start.

From what I see on the Realtek readme for the latest version it seems you have the latest version driver installed then and your ALC889 is listed as supported. Don't know what else to suggest.