Brainwave Controlled Computer Games

species5478

I've been studying numerous ways of playing games, and have encountered a growing trend in both the technological, and scientific fields: brainwave controlled computer games.

Everybody from scientists, to doctors are trying to tap into the power of the mind and seem to agree that "mental gaming" provides the best path to unlocking the mysteries of the brain. Here's the rundown of one such project.

Title:

Brain-games

–Brainwave Controlled Computer Games Using Brain-Computer Interface Technology

1st Supervisor Dr. Damien Coyle 2nd Supervisor Dr. Girijesh Prasad

Project Description

In the Intelligent System Research Centre (ISRC) at the University of Ulster a team is currently focused on the development of advanced neural signal processing algorithms, software and hardware to create sophisticated brain-computer interface (BCI) products which translate brainwave activity into useful communication and control signals. This project is aimed at building on existing research to integrate BCI technology with computer games where users manipulate the BCI to control and interact with specially designed games via their brainwaves. This will involve investigating and developing novel concepts for computer games that can be appropriately controlled using brainwaves recorded from a person's scalp and will entail integrating knowledge from three of the current most challenging, exciting and popular R&D fields – biosignal processing, computational intelligence (CI) and computer games development.

Rationale/context of the project

Integrating BCI with computer games poses many additional challenges in terms of developing games which are exciting to play but playable via brainwave control. Exciting computer games should evolve and adapt to each individual user so that they can become immersed in the game and so that there is fluency in the interaction between the brain and the game.

Brief methodology

The successful candidate will become experienced in brainwave recording procedures which include applying electrodes, amplification, digitization, data analysis, classification and neurofeedback and will gain an appreciation for the complexity of the problem but also experience the potential to control a computer using the mind alone. Once the candidate is aware of the limitations of BCI he/she will begin developing simplistic 2D games which can be used with the limited bandwidth provided by brainwaves but these simplistic games will be made as engaging as possible by incorporating highly intelligent algorithms to deal with erroneous communications (which is expected from brainwave control) to make the brain-game interaction as fluent as possible. This will involve incorporating intelligence in the transition of game scenery and covert game control. For this project the main focus will be on consciously controlled gaming concepts but the BCI-games program within the ISRC is intended to address issues in complex BCI-games which involve conscious and subconsciously controlled gaming environments.

Anticipated Outcomes

This is an exciting project and the student will learn from experienced researchers in the field and will gain experience in many fields of computing, intelligent systems and games development. BCI R&D is multidisciplinary and involves elements of engineering, cognitive and computational neuroscience and psychology. BCI-based games R&D is a novel field of research and has the potential to produce new technology. There will be strong focus on creating entirely novel BCI-games applications.

Crazy complicated stuff...I know. In another scientific study, a scientist claims that he's learned how to transmit brainwaves onto a hard-drive. So my question, (aside from, is the brain our next controller) Is would you choose to download your brainwaves into a computer, hard-drive, or some type of server? Would you, in effect, live you life as digital character, if it were possible?

i woul dprefer something along the lines of some wristbands and clothing you wear to move your character along with how you move, then you make your charachter walk by being in one of those walking spheres, only bigger so you dont hit the sides

i woul dprefer something along the lines of some wristbands and clothing you wear to move your character along with how you move, then you make your charachter walk by being in one of those walking spheres, only bigger so you dont hit the sides

Or how about instead of a sphere, a circular platform of sorts, that's similar to a treadmill? Something that allows you to walk in all directions without actually moving...

They actually managed to make a 3d object being moved by brainwaves, there was a tech documentary i saw once awhile ago this year and its quit amazing.

I'll try and find a link about it.

here is a bbc news article about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3485918.stm

They actually managed to make a 3d object being moved by brainwaves, there was a tech documentary i saw once awhile ago this year and its quit amazing.

I'll try and find a link about it.

here is a bbc news article about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3485918.stm

I didn't know about the Mind Balance game...Europeans seems to be developing a lot of cutting edge technology lately...everybody seems to be finding different ways of doing the same thing too, which is why I think this type of tech will prevail. Just like the consoles wars, in fact. There has always been a constant battle between who has the best controller. Nintendo, as we all know, has been able to stay in game against multimillion dollar heavyweights with simple inventiveness; their non-standard "joy", the Wi-Remote.