Dissillusioned?

Herculine

I've never used the CS, but I have used other such tools for other games in the past.

On the one hand the wonder at being in a world is gone once you look inside it, but it is replaced with an even better wonder.

I like going beyond the borders of the game and running as far as I can into the blank land until I reach the edge. Sometimes land is still there. The whole section of the map between Anvil and Leyawiin is my favorite place for this because the solid land ends and yet there's still land, whole mountain ranges, extending off into the distance, completely barren like an alien world. But you just fall through it into Blue Hell if you jump and then it makes a brown square to catch you before the game crashes from having to calculate too much falling distance. I noticed after a while that the game works by making a radius of solid land around you (until you go far enough off the map), and everything else you see, even distant hills about 50 yards ahead, is actually just the non-solid stuff. Also, the radius of solid land is created somewhat above the non-solid land. The non-solid land has a uniform distant grass texture that looks great in the fully developed game area, but the effect becomes obvious at the edge beyond the borders.

I just finished a degree in Animation and Visual Effects with a focus on environmental modeling. I know how it's all done. I can watch a visually stunning movie like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen or Star Trek and think of several different ways to create this or that shot. Sometimes it does ruin the movie. Sometimes the magic is gone when I think of all the long hours it takes the rigging team just to set up Optimus Prime's hand gestures. Knowing the technical reality of fantasy can ruin it sometimes, yes. Also really bad writing and directing can ruin things, but that's a different story.

But then the magic is back when I think, "Hey, I know how to make stuff like this, so why don't I just do that?" It's a better magic, to know how to do your own vision, than to just stare at someone else's.

Being a creative person myself, more so with quill and ink than with a CPU, I do know that feeling as well. I suppose that's really why I started this topic: because I'm torn between two worlds. The story of my life...

You are going about it the wrong way. There is no spoon.

The game IS the Construction Set and vanilla Oblivion is just an example of what can be done with it.

Well said! I completely agree with this. Oblivion's main selling point is that it is a sandbox game. The construction set and modding is what is keeping this game and community alive.

You are going about it the wrong way. There is no spoon.

The game IS the Construction Set and vanilla Oblivion is just an example of what can be done with it.

Well said! I completely agree with this. Oblivion's main selling point is that it is a sandbox game. The construction set and modding is what is keeping this game and community alive.

True but I personally come from getting it first for the console first, and THEN made the move to PC. I do all I can in my power to not shut the game down and add/remove/change a mod. Usually I can sit down and play the game for a few hours on end actually..the only time I quit to mod if is something is glaringly broken or missing.

I guess when you know how it's done (and do it), t does take away some of the fun as it takes away from the mystery, like a magician revealing his trick. However, this allows for a different sort of fun, making yor own mods, whether it be amour or a devious mission, creating can be just as good fun.

I never find much immersion in games, I don't like to play games that are realistic (but I don't like crazy games, like how in Oblivion people are weightless when they die but you can't move them around a lot when they're on the ground...)

Yes, seeing those yellow teleport markers of where a door goes makes you think 'lolwut!?' There's not much immersion in vanilla Oblivion anyway, and besides... The CS is for you to understand that doors somehow lead to an alternate dimension/cell (the first time you opened CS, I had the same thoughts.)

Construction Set ruins nothing, it's cheat console commands and immersion-breaker mods (non-lore-friendly I mean) that do, though I sometimes have to use the first to fix various problems and sometimes tempted by the second. And CS... well, the amount of information main .esm files contain is vast, you'll have to spend many hours to spoil everything by CS alone.

Besides, somehow quests done many times still contain enough immersion for me. And besides, each time there comes a new character, the one supposed to be a different person and his/her actions and feelings (in my imagination, of course) are new anyway.

The CS has drastically changed The Elder Scrolls for me. I started out playing Morrowind on the X-Box. It was just incredible! I played so many different characters. Then I got Oblivion on the PC and played and played until I became weary of the game. Then I discovered mod downloading and discovered modding on the CS. It totally changed the game. It is like I now have the eyes of a god. I see all the flaws. I see all the mysteries. I see the buggy buggy game engine and CS with all its faulty and incomplete documentation. But I also see the great beauty of a tricky script or well-written quest. I spend more time modding now than playing. I have become a compulsive modder. Sometimes I yearn for the innocence and simple joy of when I was playing Morrowind on the X-box, but I don't think I would want to give up my godhood and return to being a helpless and ignorant mortal.

Construction Set ruins nothing, it's cheat console commands and immersion-breaker mods (non-lore-friendly I mean) that do, though I sometimes have to use the first to fix various problems and sometimes tempted by the second.

I will sometimes use the console to "cheat", if I deem the game to be irrationally designed.

For instance, I noclipped through the key-locked gate to the palace sewers when I decided that if it was real life, my character could easily shimmy over the top. There was more than enough space. Then I got the message "I have found the gate that Grey Fox told me about".... and I of course had never met Grey Fox. Oops. Oh well.

And then of course, there are the wolves. God......

I have never played a game with a more annoying and just plain inaccurate enemy in my life. Wolves avoid humans unless threatened. They do not zero in on a person upon first sight. I usually just kill them in the console whenever they appear, and then not loot the bodies.

I'd already played Oblivion through several times when I discovered modding, so there wasn't so much immersion for it to shatter. To be honest, I think it was best this way; I discovered the game as it was designed to be played, and found mods to spice things up just as I became tired of the vanilla game.