Save path help

daekness

I installed the save game manager which you have to make seperate folders for each character ( This one over here http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2342 ) so that me and my friend can play without disturbing each others save . But when I switch characters all of my mod deactivate :wallbash: . I uninstalled it, Reactivated some of my 160+ mods, and played. But then My save wasn't there .I need help on my Oblivion.ini save path . It completely ruins my game...

The problem is Oblivion was designed for one user on one computer. There is one oblivion.ini, one save game folder and one data folder.

You cannot have 2 copies of Oblivion running on the same computer due to the problems you will encounter with the entries that installing Oblivion puts into the Windows registry.

To get around this you will have to rename each one of these each time you change users.

Oblivion.ini

The save game folder

the data folder.

each of you will have to have their own set of entries. call it something like Daves_Oblivion.ini, and Joes_ Obilvion.ini Then when dave wants to play he renames the current Oblivion.ini to Joes.ini and renames daves_oblivion.ini to just Oblivion.ini. and doees the same with each of the others also.

The catch is you MUST remember which is the currently active player and to rename Oblivion.ini to either Dave or Joe BEFORE renaming Dave or Joe to Oblivion. Otherwise the other one will be wiped out.

Also, you will still have to activate every mod in OBMM for each one as changing the data will clear the list. It may be possible to have 2 copies of the OBMM that can be renamed also to fix this.

I did something similar to have a dual oblivion - one to play & one to mod with no other mods. I automated the process with a set of batch files.

If you are interested, the instructions are in this article: http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=285

Feel free to modify the batch files in any way needed and use them as you see fit - no permissions required. But also, at your own risk.

I installed the save game manager which you have to make seperate folders for each character ( This one over here http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2342 ) so that me and my friend can play without disturbing each others save . But when I switch characters all of my mod deactivate :wallbash: . I uninstalled it, Reactivated some of my 160+ mods, and played. But then My save wasn't there .I need help on my Oblivion.ini save path . It completely ruins my game...

Whatever you do, first return the following Oblivion.ini line to it's original path

If you used the Oblivion Character Manager it just changed your line in Oblivion.ini:

SLocalSavePath=Saves\ to include the character name folder it created, something like

SLocalSavePath=Saves\John\ (assuming the character's name is John)

and all your saves must be inside those created directories.

If you used another utility I don't know what it may have done. Oblivion Character Manager do not disturb OBMM so my recommendation is you installing it, it will identify you have OBSE (if it's the case) and even allow you starting OBMM from it's GUI if you resolve to use it as launcher, not necessary except when changing active characters.

I remember years ago a mod that used a much more complicated and 'strange' schema that had this issue with OBMM, I don't remember anymore it's name but something says me is that one you speak about.

If you don't want OCM (Oblivion Character Manager, what I do not see reason don't using) you must return the Oblivion.ini line to it's original form, and hope that other mod had your saves stored somewhere, if so, move them to the /saves and all will be fine.

Edit: occurs me now your original utility is about creating profiles and is in there the issue arises. OCM keeps the same profile but separate each character by it's name, do not matter the "external" files names, and so it's simple. Once you reactivate all mods, case necessary, they stay activated.

If you and your friend use different login in the same machine, well, I don't know how Oblivion reacts but I think it would use the 'current' (My) Documents\username..., but I'm not sure about this.

Finally, search your computer for .ess and this will find your savegames, hoping for some tragedy they was not in that utility directory and got deleted with it.

Wrye Bash has an easy way to reactivate mods, based on a saved game. On the saves tab you can right click a save file, then click on Load Masters. As long as the plug-ins are found in your Oblivion\Data folder, Wrye Bash can activate/deactivate whatever mods you have there. Unfortunately, it won't automatically change the load order for you. However, color coding will help you see if your load order is compatible with your save file.

Also Wrye Bash's save tab also supports profiles. You can make different profiles for you and your buddy, when you play you just set the active profile and you'll only see the saved games for that particular profile.

I know I'm sounding like a pitchman for Wrye Bash already but it really does help a lot of modders with their game.