⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Playable Fallout Mech

devinpatterson

Do we need other models of the armor that are damaged?

Yeah to indicate damage and other aspects of the mech for those players that wish to engage in 3rd person view. 1st person view will have the HUD to convey info through the display (ie a damage percent, or highlighted parts of the mech that are damaged etc).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have those models? It wouldnt be hard to swap them out by script.

No need for any special models, to work up the script, any armor will do.

But no, I'v been waiting on the script. When I have that, and the time to do it, I'm going to make some detailed models with special effects (smoke, fire, electrical arcs etc). Although I don't want that to sound b*tchy. I know you had computer problems and you're probably pretty busy with your sniper mod (how is it coming along, BTW?). I'm just now getting back into modding myself so I'm familiar with having a constrained schedule.

Although now that I think about it, it's robably better I do it myself anyway, since it will feature in several of my mods. I'm going to have one for favorite armors that show wear and tear and another for melee weapons, showing visually the abuse they take as the weapon health decreases. So if you did make something it would have to be pretty much open permissions to be of any use for me. It's important I convey that as I don't want you wasting your time.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on new vegas a while back, but just reinstalled it. I may give the sniper mod another try but was very frustrated when I was unable to get the snipers to react from far enough away to be a challenge. Maybe I'll try adding hand cannons today. If you get me some damaged armor models then I'll integrate those as well LORD willing.

DevP, I'm very rusty, I believe there is a function that returns what part of the body of a reference a projectile has hit. Do you recall? I know NVSE has actor values that return arms, legs, torso, head, etc. I'm guessing I'll have to do something with GetActorValue. If I do player.GetActorValue Head, what will it return? Will it return health for a head? Or what?

Edited by irswat

I gave up on new vegas a while back, but just reinstalled it. I may give the sniper mod another try but was very frustrated when I was unable to get the snipers to react from far enough away to be a challenge.

Sorry to hear that brother, I know you worked crazy hard on it :sad: But fallout AI can sometimes be a royal pain in the butt.

Maybe I'll try adding hand cannons today. If you get me some damaged armor models then I'll integrate those as well LORD willing.

I can give you some color coded models but you don't really need it, you can use any model for the change (different power armor, clothes whatever).

DevP, I'm very rusty, I believe there is a function that returns what part of the body of a reference a projectile has hit. Do you recall? I know NVSE has actor values that return arms, legs, torso, head, etc. I'm guessing I'll have to do something with GetActorValue. If I due player.GetActorValue Head, what will it return? Will it return health for a head? Or what?

You could try getHitLocation, but I remember it being sort of buggy. You'r planning on comparing health for various body parts each frame to act as triggers for some code? I think that could be done with the vanilla getActorValue (getAV) as various conditions coresspond to various body parts (ie enduranceCondition is the torso, perception is the noggin, etc).

Oh, semi related tangent, but since we control what weapons are used (and thus displayed) it becomes possible to visually create the effect of blown off arms...which will be a nice little addition to the realism. By swapping out the model or parts of the model we can do the same with the torso (giant hole) as the mech is walking around. While the same process will work with the legs we won't be able to use it due to a lack of animations for a dismembered limb. There are a couple of other caveats but I think it'll be a cool effect.

imu333

will the mech parts be split into multiple nif files (right arm, damaged right arm etc)?

Should the hand cannon replace the hand, or just be like an addon?

I would say yes that is probably the best way to go, but I don't really know how to work nifscope. As far as shoulder mounted missile launchers go I would suggest that there be several different torsos: One regular mech torso, at least one damaged mech torso, one mech torso with 1 shoulder mounted missile launcher, and one mech torso with two launchers. I say at least one damaged mech torso because it might be cool to have different damaged torsos. If a missile hits the mech in the torso it might be cool to have a gaping hole in the middle, whereas if it is riddled with bullets a different look.

hand cannons can just be addons. feel free to make as many as you want. if we can get someone who knows how to script quests we can make quests that revolve around getting upgrades for the mech, or have an upgrade bay or something.

if you wanted to make multiple mechs I'd do whatever I could to make sure they all get integrated.

Edited by irswat