Halfmer (Half Elf)

Taryken

Just wondering if anyone knows any information on Half Elf's in Tamriel? Im not refering to Breton's either, I have heard lore that they my have some Mer Blood in them, hence the high Magic skills, naw what Im talkin about is a "Man" race (lets say a Nord) and a "Mer" race (lets say a Dark Elf) gettin' friendly and having a child as a result.

If this "Halfmer" does not exist, than would it still fall into ES lore to make a Mod and create it? What I mean to say is..are the two general races Man/Elf able to beget and conceive (offspring)?

Also, If I remember right, the Areana Champion is a Half-Orc....hell, he even sends you on a quest to find his bloodsuckin' ol'man, and Orc's are in the Elf family also called Orsimer, "Corrupt Elves."

So that kinda answers my own question, Bethesda has already put a "Halfmer" into Tamriel, and while Halfmer's may not exist on a large scale, holding their own regions of Tamriel, I believe it wouldn't be a far cry to say that they are around, and may even hide themselves for who they are, fearing any social backlash of being a "mutt" of sort's, they may choose to live as whatever parent race they may most likely resemble.

When I made a half elf race for my cosmetic pack everyone told me off (:rolleyes: ) for having it and kept saying that "Bretons are the game's half elves." From what I read it was implied they have elf blood but they weren't entirely half.

I don't know terribly much about ES lore, but I do remember finding a book in the game's testing hall which discussed inter-species fertility. You might want to try going to the testing hall and reading it yourself. I don't remember the name of the book but i think it was on the right side of the room as you enter.

Actually they did exist and they're called... must resist urge... can't resist... can... halfmericans. :closedeyes:

... Sorry I couldn't resist. ES Lore says there was elf-human interbreeding and the race that resulted from it was the Manmer. The Bretons are descendants of them.

Bretons are the human descendants of the Aldmeri-Nedic Manmer of the Merethic Era and are now the inhabitants of the province of High Rock.

UESP

Maybe people should read The Real Barenziah.

"

Barenziah cocked her head to one side quizzically. "They say Dark Elven women are pro-- pro-- something. Prostitutes?" she said, although she was dubious.

"You mean promiscuous. Although some do become prostitutes, I suppose," Katisha said as an afterthought. "Elves are promiscuous when they're young. But you'll outgrow it. Perhaps you're beginning to already," she added hopefully. She liked Barenziah, had grown to be quite fond of her. "You ought to meet some nice Elven boys, though. If you go on keeping company with Khajiits and humans and what have you, you'll find yourself pregnant in next to no time."

"

All of the books of the The Elder Scrolls can be found at

http://www.imperial-library.info/

Also for your edification, I would recommend "Notes on Racial Phylogeny and Biology, Seventh Edition" which is most likely the book SavageA mentioned. I don't know who it was that gave you crap about it, SA, but they are full are full of crap, IMO. :D

Notes on Racial Phylogeny and Biology, Seventh Edition

by the Council of Healers, Imperial University

After much analysis of living specimens, the Council long ago determined that all "races" of elves and humans may mate with each other and bear fertile offspring. Generally the offspring bear the racial traits of the mother, though some traces of the father's race may also be present. It is less clear whether the Argonians and Khajiit are interfertile with both humans and elves. Though there have been many reports throughout the Eras of children from these unions, as well as stories of unions with daedra, there have been no well documented offspring. Khajiit differ from humans and elves not only their skeletal and dermal physiology -- the “fur” that covers their bodies -- but their metabolism and digestion as well. Argonians, like the dreugh, appear to be a semi-aquatic troglophile form of humans, though it is by no means clear whether the Argonians should be classified with dreugh, men, mer, or (in this author's opinion), certain tree-dwelling lizards in Black Marsh.

The reproductive biology of orcs is at present not well understood, and the same is true of goblins, trolls, harpies, dreugh, tsaesci, imga, various daedra and many others. Certainly, there have been cases of intercourse between these "races," generally in the nature of rape or magickal seduction, but there have been no documented cases of pregnancy. Still the interfertility of these creatures and the civilized hominids has yet to be empirically established or refuted, likely due to the deep cultural differences. Surely any normal Bosmer or Breton impregnated by an orc would keep that shame to herself, and there's no reason to suppose that an orc maiden impregnated by a human would not be likewise ostracized by her society. Regrettably, our oaths as healers keep us from forcing a coupling to satisfy our scientific knowledge. We do know, however, that the sload of Thras are hermaphrodites in their youth and later reabsorb their reproductive organs once they are old enough to move about on land. It can be safely assumed that they are not interfertile with men or mer.

One might further wonder whether the proper classification of these same “races,” to use the imprecise but useful term, should be made from the assumption of a common heritage and the differences between them have arisen from magickal experimentation, the manipulations of the so-called "Earth Bones," or from gradual changes from one generation to the next.

See also "Development of the Species", and the "Annotated Anuad".

I myself am highly interested in Halfling Races in my own WIP projects, as well as in my fan fiction. So I am claiming my stake in this topic.

as yes :) I had to read that to make sure my character was lore-friendly.

From what I gather, Elves don't stay fertile for very long because they live so long, I guess.

I'm surprised Bethesda did not add a little more half breed races in the game. They had them in The Witcher, the half elf people were shunned by full blooded in that one, the elves are kinda snobby in that though lol.

ahh, ya know I'm really getting into the ES lore, after playing since the days of Arena & Daggerfall, I think I will take some of the above advise and read these books (a part of the ES games that I've always looked past).

Any other good books that you guy's could recommend for essential reading? I also spend alot of time in Morrowind, so feel free to include any of those books for recommended reading, im sure I'll end up reading all of them, but with so many its nice to have a list of the "must reads".

Just wanted to also add, I found a great mod "Nazarian Library" http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12668 , a Library with every Oblivion/Morrowind/Daggerfall Book in it, this should be a great resource for me with regards to learning my ES Lore.