Someone fill me in on the Fallout 3 holes

TotallyNotToastyFresh

Well my contention is that there were many small wars, and rumors of wars, during the buildup. Then the US and China started going at it. The Technological Powerhouse vs The Nation Of Billions. And as soon as that started going down, there was maybe a year's time before someone threw a nuke and the Great War really began.

So yeah there were drawn out ground forces here and there, but that the Great War itself which came after that didn't last long at all.

The Resources Wars lasted something around 25 years. The Great War lasted exactly 2 hours.

April 2052: The Resource Wars begin. Many smaller nations go bankrupt, and Europe, dependent on oil imports from the Middle East, responds to the Middle East's rising oil prices with military action. The long drawn-out war between the European Commonwealth and the Middle East begins.

Sounds like Fallout were off by about oh...50 years on that one?

Well, in each playthrough I keep asking myself, how did Tenpenny reach America? How did the preacher manage, since he's obviously british too? Did Dukov take the landline all the way from Siberia?

I mean, there aren't any planes flying or ships crossing the ocean. They're simply there.

This is actually part of a joke started in Fallout 1. All of those characters are American they just...eh...dont seem like it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont remember that dialogue line. I do remember someone saying something about him coming from a different country but Im going to go with the very realistic idea of hes lying. I believe the fake brit in the hub lied about his origins too but I cant confirm him saying he came from anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
It is possible that after 200 years the world would have rebuilded civilization a little. Think about places like California with the NCR and the high-tect Commenwealth. These powers also know a lot about each other considering a place like The Pitt where Ashur mentions the Commenwealth and Ronto(Toronto). The normal wastelander would not know very much or possibly anything about the outside world, but big factions obviously do. It would not be so hard to believe that there is one or two routes from Europe to the U.S. In Point Lookout you can see that people still know how to use ships. I wonder what kind of factions would be in Europe and the rest of the world, but that is for our own imagination. Edited by Mopel

• 1 month later...

Doubt that everything is "that" screwed. Undeniably, what passes for human civilization has been reduced to medieval levels or lower, in terms of both population and general capabilities.

But one thing I am absolutely certain of is that nature will 'bounce back' astoundingly - and in less time than many would believe. There are various plants whose seeds will lie dormant for YEARS underground before the right circumstances may cause them to germinate, for example. Unquestionably, a lot of species will have become extinct in the War and aftermath, but to quote a certain movie "Life .... will find a way."

Not saying the entire natural world would return to a pristine Pre-War state. Some of it I am certain would - in more isolated and/or less affected areas (just like in Chernobyl's "exclusion zone"). But a century or two is plenty of time for even the worst-affected / most changed regions to make some kind of recovery. Which we see with Deathclaws and Radscorpions - those suckers need a heckuva lot more protein than just the odd Wastelander or cow, that is for sure.

Edited by 7thsealord

A week after the war there came acid rain over the entire world. what the bombs didnt kill,the rain did .so its safe to say everywhere is screwed

Acid rain is even more temporary than radiation. By now, vegetation should have come back. There really also shouldn't be any working bullets left...

A week after the war there came acid rain over the entire world. what the bombs didnt kill,the rain did .so its safe to say everywhere is screwed

Acid rain is even more temporary than radiation. By now, vegetation should have come back. There really also shouldn't be any working bullets left...

Or anything supposed to hold a charge - energy cells, etc..

On the other hand, whole continents were supposed to have shifted during the war. The weather patterns got messed up completely and there was acid rain and nuclear winter for a while. Plus, no-one really knows the effects of every country launching their nukes at the same time would have, so it could take a good long while for vegetation to recover and evolve, seedling by seedling, into forms fit to survive in the wasteland.

Plus we should remember that resources were at an all time low. This means that woods, jungles and crops would have all been harvested for food and energy. Oil drilling, small-scale wars and deforestation would have desolated many areas to a point where they looked post-apocolyptic anyway. With these areas gone, pollinating insects would quickly die out. Without them, all flora and fauna dies. You can't create seeds without pollination (not usually anyway). Ravaging the landscape would have set us on the road to a barren Earth anyway, nuclear armmegedon simply sped up the process.

We can assume that all the civilisations that survived and are now "recovering" will quickly face the same problems as their pre-war counterparts. The only three possibilities of long-term survival are; the development of renewable energy-based technologies, mining for resources on a new planet (ala Mr.House's goal), or the drastic culling of any society whose numbers threaten to deplete the already scarce resources.

Cheerful stuff :nuke:

Noting that we are talking about technologies that routinely produced consumables (ammo, batteries, food, cybernetic systems, etc.) so incredibly durable that a lot of it remains usable centuries later - despite going through all sorts of c##p in the meantime.

I still question that the ecosphere would remain quite THAT devastated. Changed from what it was, undoubtedly. Extinction-level event, on par with what took down the dinosaurs, very likely. But a great many lifeforms survived that last via various means, and I have enormous respect for nature's ability to recover from such setbacks.