What's the Best Show on TV?

species5478

Hmm...I don't watch TV too often, but when I do, it is usually the same shows. I like stuff such as Mythbusters (just not there to watch it all the time.) I also can't wait for Fringe to be back as well. It actually intrigued me to look into "Fringe science" as the show calls it. Pretty interesting stuff. After the end of the last season, I am totally hooked.

For some reason, I find the new show Masterchef to be kind of interesting too. Hell's Kitchen was funny at first, but the excessive swearing each and every time is now more annoying. I also don't like the way the people on the show are portrayed when not cooking, etc.

Whose Line is it Anyway is pretty amazing as always. There is acting, there is improvisation and then there's these guys.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typicaly "fringe science" is the same as normal science but is done without the consent of the US government or the catholic church.

As far as I'm concerned, if it angers either of those groups, then it's already got one thing going for it. I put in some time on cryptozoology over a lazy summer school holiday in my late teens, was very interesting. Desipte being deemd "fringe science" and cryoptozoologists being dubbed "stark raving lunatics that beleive in unicorns" it's actualy got nothing to do with unicorns, but actualy a study of modern folklore.

It's also got a bit of biology and forensics mixed through. After all, a Globster(an unidentified lump of meat, washed up on a beach) could be from just about anything.

Top Gear is endlessly funny, though I do feel sorry for the current Stig. his identity is now known, so like the first one, he's eventualy going to be killed off, after all these years. Hopefully atleast they'll give him a good send off like they did the first one-who was launched off an aircraft carrier in a nitrous powered Jaguar XJR.

I also watch a goodly amount of motor sport. In Australia the coverage is excellent, not only of world class sports but also of the smaller, more insane ones, and the smaller local leagues. And while for the most part I have a very low opinion of local motor racing, some of the international stuff is brilliant.

The Le Mans 24 hour is a legendary event- and my personal favorite. It only happens once a year, but it's really worth staying up late then getting up early to watch it through live. Basicaly, it's the ultimate car race. Drivers start racing at 3:00 PM french time around Le Mans de Sarth, one of the world's finest race tracks, and then keep racing till 3:00 PM the next day.

They change drivers every now 3 hours, but you can only have three per car, so they do get tired out. The cars themselves are the real victims. The Le Mans Night usualy claims a lot of victims-by dawn it's not uncommon to have lost half the cars in the fiel to crashes or internal faults, racing flat out for 24 hours straight tests a car well beyond it's limits, and usualy less than half the cars that enter survive. However, those that win go down in history. The Audi R-8, Ford GT 40 MK II, Porche's various legends-a lot of the most well known and well loved cars and drivers made their names HERE.

t's a battle of logistics. You get four types of car: GT 2s are lightly modified road sports cars, like Porches and Corvettes, GT-1s are heavily modifoed versions of the fastest of road cars, like high end Aston Martins and Saleen S-7s. Then you've got Prototypes, which are hand built specificaly for this event, and have almost limitless freedom of design, meaning they are some of the fastest race cars possible.

The race itself is deeply enjoyable. At the begining few laps, it's about who's fastest, but then it becomes a battle for survival. They race right through the night, through dawn, and then the next day, so driver fatigue, and car damage, are often the deciding factors, rather than speed.

For example this year french compact maker Peugeot had much faster cars the winning team, the german based Audi union, but the Audi team had excellent tactics, better drivers, and didnt break down. The Peugeots were vastly faster but one-by-one fell victim to a manufacturing fault in their engines, that caused the engine block to rupture and burst into flames. The Audi team however only had one major problem, and that was when one of theiur drivers skidded off the road to avoid another car-because the Prototypes are so much faster than the GTs, they get a sort of "traffic effect"-slow cars blocking the road as obstacles.

It's a race like no other, but you've got to watch it live, or you miss all the fun and the challenge. No other motorsport event, and very few sports events, require that sort of durability or commitment, except maybe the Dakar Rally, which is a two week desert race that on average KILLS one person every year.

But the simple fact is the comination of history(it's been run yearly for over 60 years) challenge(less than half the field usualy survives to finish, often about 22 out of 50) and shear quality of racing(magnificent track, cars, very good head-to-head battles) and the drivers present, usualy the past and present world champions, and former F-1 legends, make this for me the best spectacle of the year.