The Tale of the Hero

Shoren

Chapter X

~Midday at the sea and basics of magic~

The sun had already reached the highest point on the sky so it was the midday already and soon the coasts of Valewood were visible. There was thick forest growing not long after the coastline as wood elves or Bosmer as they were known by the scholars. Bosmer was quite uncivilized culture in eyes of Cyrodiils like Martin and other so called civilized cultures. Sure they were civilized in manners and such but they care little for most of the civilized trappings of other Tamrielic cultures. It was quite unique province compared other eight provinces. Well actually every nine provinces of Tamriel were very unique while compared one another.

"What's that place?" Tristan asked from Martin as pointed to the forest of Valewood.

"That is province of Valewood home of wood elves or Bosmer as that is their true race name." Martin said with warm smile as he kept leaning to his staff. "Now that we have a week and half time on this ship I would like start teach you basics of magic so are you ready?"

"Yeah." Tristan nodded with happy smile.

"Alright first I have to teach you how to cast a spell. To cast a spell you have to fall a trance of sort as at your level you need absolute concentration if you wish cast even a simple spell. Of course as you become more powerful and experienced in magic it becomes easier to cast spells and you'll learn many new ones. But take this as warning if your concentration breaks and chant words disappear form your mind or even if you misspell or pronounce a letter wrongly it can become very dangerous as it might that nothing happens, spell backfires or you cast another spell. Also when you fall into the trance your awareness of outer world disappears so if you're not careful you become easy pray for others that is one of the reasons why I usually travel with other people like Celestian even though I am considered the most powerful mage of current time."

"I see..." Tristan said as he absorbed every word which Martin said.

"Well then we shall begin with simple spell called Flare." Martin said as he opened his spell book and leafed through the book to look for the spell. He rarely used the spell and he didn't need to chant it any more so he had forgotten the chant already. "Ah here it is. Tuli keräänny käteeni ja tuhoa viholliseni. You should write it down to your spell book as you're going to need to learn the chant until you can cast it without one."

Tristan did as Martin suggested and wrote the chant down.

"So how I go into the trance you spoke of?" Tristan asked after he had written down the chant.

"Close your eyes and empty your mind until you feel as if you would be middle of large stream. After that it should come naturally. Later you can enter to that state even with your eyes open or even running but those come much later. Oh also when you have remembered the chant you should see it on your mind as if it was flaming letters. Well then lets start with pronouncement." Martin told Tristan.

After half of an hour Tristan could pronounce the chant correctly and then it was time to test it out and it was success on first try. Tristan was able to shoot out a small ball of flame from his hand perfectly.

"Well done Tristan. Well done." Martin said happily. "I think that is enough for today if you want you may continue practice that spell but keep in mind what can happen if you fail." Martin added and started walk down bellow the deck to their room.

As Tristan came to the room Celestian was laying on his bed. The room was quite basic cabin with four beds and a desk. It was nothing fancy as even thought Martin and Celestian were quite rich it didn't mean they were millionaires.

"So how did it go?" Celestian asked as he looked at Martin who just entered to the cabin.

"He has the gift and if this keeps going on he'll be catching my level of magic in about ten years as he is sift learner not to say it's quite amazing that a ten years old kid can pronounce a spell perfectly after half of an hour. Not to say his common language is fluent also even thought he was alone in that basement about four years. He is quite amazing kid." Martin said and sighed. This kid was total mystery even now but maybe he is a beacon of light which he saw in same dream as he saw the gates Oblivion opening.

"I see... Then you did get excellent follower like I said taking note that you are going to find yourself six feet under in few next coming years thanks to your age." Celestian grinned.

((Writers note: The chant I used isn't gibberish. It's written in my native language called Finnish. In English chant goes like this "Fire gather to my hand and destroy my foes." I am no Tolkien so I won't be creating completely new language to the story or maybe I do later. Who knows... Oh yeah in English you pronounce ä as ae))

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter XI

~Midnight assault and the next morning~

Soon the sun went beyond the horizon and the two moons rose from opposite direction. Everyone of the companion were already in the cabin and deep asleep. Small noise of door opening was heard in the night and a man in black robe entered to the room. His eyes were like Tristan's blood red but other than that was not seen through the shadow of the hood which covered his face. He walked quietly where Tristan was sleeping and started to bow down as if he was aiming to the neck.

Tristan opened his eyes and saw a man he quickly drew small dagger made of silver and pointed it at where the man's heart was. "That is not wise idea vampire." Tristan whispered to the man as his crimson red eyes started glow in the moonlight.

"It seems I was caught..." Vampire said and sighed as he backed off from Tristan. "But I wonder why your blood seems to call me more than that of other races I have drank..."

"Because I am something what should not exists... But that you tried attack me you shall pay it with your life" Tristan pierced vampire's heart with the dagger and the vampire turned to fine dust. After that Tristan cleaned the robes and dust off and fell asleep again as if nothing had happened.

It was almost impossible for normal human or any other race to hit a vampire thanks to their supernatural powers but Tristan killed a vampire with one hit. Actually Tristan's speed and reaction speed were faster than that of a vampire as the vampire didn't have time to react to Tristan's attack.

Celestian saw all this as after all he was a fighter so his sleep was light and it could break even the most silent noise. He was on guard all the time as after all that is how he was trained in first place. Celestian could not actually believe what he saw Tristan to do. Only thing he could do was to tell Martin when he wakes up as it seemed that Tristan hid something really big.

Soon the sun rose from the sky and Martin woke up. Celestian greeted both Tristan and Martin as they woke up from the bed. After everybody dressed up and started to go eat breakfast Celestian asked Tristan that could Martin and him talk bit privately as there was some things they had to discuss about. Of course Tristan agreed with slight smile on his face and Martin gave some money to Tristan to buy a breakfast.

As Tristan was away Celestian sighed.

"So what is it Celestian? This is quite unlike you." Martin asked as he looked at Celestian and leaned to his staff.

"That boy is suspicious so you should be on guard while you're with him." Celestian told Martin with serious tone on his voice.

"He is good kid and fast learner even you said that so what made you chance that opinion?"

"Well last night a vampire sneaked to our cabin. Tristan woke up when the vampire was trying bite him and he killed that vampire with one strike even thought there was around a meter between them. What disturbs me most is that the vampire couldn't even react to Tristan's attack."

"I see... I can believe you as you are my friend... So you're saying he is a vampire? Well I guess he could be but he hadn't fed for years so he should look on his monster state now not that of complete human and also his eyes red is much sharper than those of vampire. He hides something that much I know but if he wanted to harm us he could have done that already long time ago."

"No I wasn't saying he was vampire. I could hear Tristan saying something that he was something what shouldn't exists..."

"I see... But like I told he means no harm to us and he will reveal his secret when the time is correct if he so wishes. I also know that he was something more that some normal race we have in this world as he knows how to write and speak fluently common language at that age even though he was trapped in the basement at lest four years. He has amazing learning speed and he can easily learn spells. That all is impossible for normal ten years old kid." Martin said ending this conversation and started head to the cafeteria where Tristan was already eating.

Celestian was quite amazed that Martin still could trust that kid like before even thought he knows nothing of that kid and knows how good and dangerous he is. Celestian sighed and shrugged as he started to follow Martin to the cafeteria.

Tristan waved happily to both, Martin and Celestian, as greeting in the cafeteria and continued eat. Soon both of companion bought the breakfast and came to the tablet where Tristan was eating. Tristan didn't ask what they talked about as he knew already as he had noticed Celestian awake last night.

Chapter XII

~Finally Imperial City in horizon and new beginning~

Rest of trip went without any other incidents. The sun was already setting down beyond the horizon as a gigantic tower at central island and two smaller towers came to horizon. Each of the towers were on their own island and surrounded by the walls which were finest work of the builders. There was also a dock which was closest island to the ship.

"That is Imperial City. The capital city of Tamriel." Martin said to Tristan as they were on the deck of the ship. "We should be there before the night falls as it won't take more than an hour from here."

"That's quite amazing city even from this distance." Tristan said as his eyes slightly widened from amazement. Tristan had already learned multiple spells and was already at same level as Magician rank mages which is sixth rank of the Mages Guild. Of course this title was still unofficial as Tristan had not gone trough a test which is placed to those who wish to rank of apprentice or above.

"Yeah it is... I remember when I came to this city for first time too. I was quite amazed but it has chanced a lot since I first time saw it. Like they say technology improves all the time and Imperial City is centre of all that development in the end."

The ship soon came to the dock which went by name of Waterfront. The slum area of Imperial City and it is said that the infamous Thieves Guild's hall was around here. Of course officially guards deny such claims and that the Grey Fox still is alive as it was already exposed several hundreds years ago that the Grey Fox was the count of Anvil. Yet guards still fear that name so they do not mistreat the poor or beggars as they are under protection of the Grey Fox.

The companion soon landed from the ship to the dock and went directly to the centre tower of Imperial City where the Elder Council's meeting hall was and the other palace where the emperor used to live. The council room was still the same gigantic round room where was round tablet with thirty seats each for one member of the council but one seat is left empty by the tradition. The seat of the emperor. Nobody expect Septim bloodline could clam that title as their blood was only thing which could lit the fires of dragonfire when the amulet of the kings is passed down from generation to another. Of course the amulet was now shattered and long lost relic of the past.

Nader was sitting on his seat at the council hall as if waiting for somebody as he noticed Martin, Celestian and some little kid entering he smiled broadly.

"Ah welcome my friends." He said as he rose to stand from his seat.

"The quest which you gave us has failed. There was nobody living at the manor which you instructed us in the letter." Martin said in formal tone in his voice as he leaned to his staff.

"I gave you a quest? I believe I didn't... I haven't seen you Celestian for years and Martin you left secretly without a word so I was kinda worried as my most important advisor left. May I ask who is this child?"

"This child is named Tristan we found him from Anvil almost dead so I started to take care of him and as my death is near I wished pass my knowledge to this kid as he has great gift in magic. Also what you said troubles me. Then who did in your form came to us giving quest to find so called a heir to Septim bloodline? But I have to agree such arrangement was quite unlike you which your look alike did."

"This troubles me... You should be wiser than that Martin. You know that bloodline of the Septim is long gone. Martin Septim was last one. There never will be new emperor as that is impossible. Also the amulet is long gone."

"May I ask that who were you waiting for?"

"Well the Elder Council meeting as it will begin shortly but if you truly did go to Anvil I wish that you go to rest. Your journey has been long so I do need tired advisor now."

"As you wish my friend." Martin said ending the conversation with warm smile.

"Well then we shall go to our separate ways then." Celestian said with small smile as the came outside of the tower.

"Yeah. It was nice to see you alright Celestian and may the nine bless your journey." Martin said with smile as Celestian started to walk away. "Well then we shall go to Arcane University then to finish up your studies under me over next few years."

The writing started to trail off...

Final words were written at the end of the page.

"Thus this tale ends for now. Maybe some day I shall continue this when my own journey shall end. But now my own tale shall begin and my journey shall start from now. The true tale. The Tale of the Hero."

A man in about his twenties with sharp crimson red eyes and long dark brown hair in a ponytail. He was wearing pitch black robe. He let down the quill as he closed the book which he had wrote into and closed a bottle of ink. He pulled the hood of the robe over his head hiding his face in it's shadow. Only one thing was shown trough the shadow. It was his eyes which shined through the darkness. He also placed the book on his bag and threw it over his shoulder as he placed the a longsword on to the belt and started to walk away from the room. He exhausted the flame from one candle which was only light source in the room without touching it. The room was engulfed by the darkness as the man shut the door.

As curtains close to one tale, a new tale shall begin.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it has been quite while since I last posted. My PC got busted ^^;

In any case here we go new chapter to this tale.

Chapter XIII

~New tale, new beginning~

The man walked down an old staircase and came to quite large room which was full of different people. Some were drunk and singing happily while others were still in their senses. The place was an inn. The man sighed as he headed towards the exit door. He didn't really like rowdy places like this but it was only inn at the town and he did prefer sleep on normal bed rather than under the sky.

"Wait!" Shouted the innkeeper as he took out a letter. It was a large man who had muscle enough to share it with three full grown man but it seemed most of the muscle seemed centre around his stomach. He also had light brown long hair and big moustaches. "This came for you not too long ago. A woman said to give it to man with crimson red eyes and you seem to be only one who fits in that description in this building."

"Alright." The man said with only a hint of emotions in his tone as he took the letter from the innkeeper and opened it. The writing was clean and very carefully written.

"Hey Lucas!

It has been while you have visited me and I have so many things to talk about so please visit me some time soon.

Your dear Claire.

PS. I have some info about what you want to know."

The man, who's name was apparently Lucas, sighed again and crumbled the letter and burned it with a spell.

"I thank you for delivering me this message so here." Lucas said as he took a small pouch from under his robe and gave few coins to the innkeeper. Then he left and shut the door behind him. The bright sun light blinded him for a moment as the sun was already high in the sky. There was a sign nearby with name of this town. "Rihad."

Excellent tale. Took me a while to read, since I started from the beginning, but worth the time invested. I like how Shoren has taken the time to give his chapters individual headings. Martin had developed into an interesting character. I wonder if there will be another of his caliber...

Chapter XIV

~Rihad. A friend.~

The town of Rihad was quite famous port town on Hammerfall as it was close to Cyrodiil so it was quite busy. Well the culture was slightly different of course as majority was Redguards, dark-skinned and wiry-haired naturals fighters, even though it was a busy port town where many different cultures meet among with more or less shady people. It was quite good place to hide yourself as there rarely asked any questions if you don't stand out, which Lucas did quite well thanks to his unique eyes.

Lucas kept his hand relaxed on the grip of his sword, which he had used to, as you would never know if somebody attacked you for your money. Of course those cases were quite rare thanks to effective guards of the town which the town is proud of. Yet they only stop crimes they see so they let any body to enter the town if they don't make any scenes.

Lucas sighed as he started walk towards west. There he came to a shop which had large coin which had a potion bottle carved into it as a banner. He knocked the door lightly with his hand. There was no answer. Lucas knocked slightly harder. This time there was answer.

"The shop's closed so go away!" Shouted a woman's voice behind the door.

Lucas sighed and knocked harder. He heard footsteps coming towards the door and soon the door opened.

An Imperial twenty years old woman of average heigh with long light brown hair opened the door. She had her right eye light green while left was light blue. Her face turned from slightly frustrated and bothered to happy and joyful.

"Ah Lucas come in, come in. Why didn't say it was you? It would have saved lots of trouble. "So why did you came? Wait I know. It's because of my letter, isn't it?" The woman rambled.

"Yes and do you truly have information which I desire Claire?" Lucas asked with slightly tired tone.

The woman's, who apparently was known as Claire, face chanced to more cunning looking. "Yes I do have that kind of information if you have right price. You know what I want for that information."

"Alright, alright. I'll take you for a dinner so please tell me what you know." Lucas said as he slid the hood off his own head.

Claire's face turned back to happy as he crossed her hands behind her back. "Alright then it's settled but I won't tell you until you have gone for a dinner with me as I don't want you to run away like last time."

Lucas sighed. How did he tolerate this woman and what so great she saw in him he wondered even though he had known her quite long time. "Alright. We'll do it your way then. So what place we go this time?" Lucas said.

"Let me think about it..." Claire said and thought for a moment. "I know. Come pick me up from here lets say three hours from now and I'll show where we go."

"Alright. Now then I shall take my leave and I'll be back in three hours." Lucas said and left the building closing the door behind him.

"Well then I have to get ready." Claire said happily as she walked towards her own room which located in the second floor of this building.