Shoren

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Chapter XIX

~Story begins anew. The test begins-~

It had been several months already. The autumn had turned to late winter and a man walked inside a room very same as he had left before. He picked up a book which was covered in dust. He blew to cover of the book so the dust started to swirl around the air. The title of the book became clear now. The Tale of the Hero. That was the name the book was given by it's writer who now held it on his hands. "So long has it been since I last looked at this." The man said to himself as he went to a desk which was also covered in dust. He had not come to that room since he ended the story in the middle. He quickly wiped away the dust which was covering the desk and coughed a lot again as he was quite sensitive to the dust. And so he placed the book to the desk and opened it from the last written page. "I guess it is time to start this story once again." He said to himself with satisfied smile as he took out a fresh bottle of ink as last one had already dried out. He also took a quill which was the very same as he had started to write this story.

The quill was dipped in the ink and so began this story once again. "Now where was I... Ah yes now I remember." He pondered and began to write.

It had been seven days, a week, from since the letter of invitation had come to mage apprentice Tristan Locksen and soon the bell rang mark of the midday. The day was bit different from the rest as it was day of the solar eclipse. When the sun is covered by the moon. Tristan's emotions were many. Excitement, fear, joy and confusion. I wonder what kind of test they will give to me? Tristan thought as he entered to the main building of the Arcane University, the tower of the arch-mage. The first floor was lobby and some of the classrooms, the second floor was council's meeting hall and the third and final floor was bedroom of the arch-mage. As Tristan entered inside he saw some other mage apprentices on the lobby sitting around and waiting their turn to enter the test.

Several hours went by waiting until it was time for Tristan go forth to the test. He took deep breath and entered to a room which was almost front of him. It was basic classroom with nothing special expect now on the teacher's place there was thirteen seats and in the middle was sitting arch-mage Martin Farfield and on his each side sat the members of the Council of Mages. Front of the high ranking mages was a sole empty seat where the test participant may sit down. "Please sit down apprentice Tristan Locksen." Martin said with formal tone and pointed at the sole empty seat and Tristan obeyed the command. Tristan was quite nervous now as this was first time being front of so many high ranking mages. "You know the rules and the reason why you had been summoned here so the test shall commence now." Martin told to Tristan and soon the room started swirl around before his eyes. Tristan quickly shut his eyes as he would only become sick from this swirling.

As Tristan opened his eyes he was no longer in the classroom nor in any location which he knew of. He was middle of a forest and in far north he saw lights of a town. The test had began but Tristan was confused just what had happened. This was nothing he could have thought of would happen in the test. For now only choice for Tristan was to go towards the north and to the town to find some information where he was now.

Chapter XX

~The Test; The town of Neverwinter and the inn~

Tristan walked towards town which did not seem to get any closer than it was from the beginning nor the forest end. It was as if Tristan was just walking without going forward. It started to frustrate Tristan as after all he had no idea where he was nor what to do. Not long after Tristan sat down and took deep breath as his legs almost gave out from all the walking he had done for several hours. "How am I supposed to do now?" He asked aloud from himself with frustrated tone. Then he remembered this was only a test made by the Council of Mages. This was just a test which he had to overcome. How could have he forgotten such simple fact, Tristan did not know. Tristan took deep breath and closed his eyes. He felt a stream like that of water going through him. The stream was like a stormy ocean in the darkness. Tristan started to gather mana, the power which allows one to use magic, to his hands as he crossed them as if he was praying. As sufficient amount of mana had gathered to Tristan's hand he separated his hands from each other and a blue flame appeared to each of the hands. "It's time to break this illusion." Tristan said with a small smile. He felt like he had found a solution to a riddle which had thought of for long time. "Näytä minulle valo tässä pimeydessä ja riko tämä kuva joka ei ole totta." Tristan chanted as he slammed his hands together with the blue flames and a blast of energy came about around Tristan. Tristan's surrounding did not chance thought. He was still stuck in the forest. "Did it fail?" Tristan asked from himself surprised. He was sure that breaking the illusion was the answer to complete this test but it seemed that it was not.

Tristan decided once again try go to the town and now it worked. He felt going forward and the town coming closer and closer and finally he reached the gates of the town. There was sign hanging above the gate which read 'Neverwinter'. Never heard of such town... Tristan thought as he entered to the town. I guess I should go search for an inn. He continued his train of thoughts as even thought the sun was still high in the sky Tristan was sure it was almost night already. He felt sleepy and there might be some clue to find about what's going on.

In overall the town was quite small actually it consisted of twenty houses, an inn, blacksmith, a bakery, a general store and a temple. It was quite normal distant town. Tristan of course headed to the inn as he found it as that was his goal for now. Of course his main goal was to complete the test but the inn was currently his best bet.

The inn was quite small building with two floors. It was big enough to lodge twelve travellers in and now it seemed quite busy and nosy as many people were currently having fun with drinking and talking with each other. Tristan walked directly to the counter as behind it was standing the innkeeper. "What can I do for you young lad?" The innkeeper asked with large grin as he looked at Tristan. "I would wish to rent a room as I have travelled from afar and I am tired." Tristan said with tired look. "I guess we still have one or two rooms free currently but you don't seem to have any money with you, now do you? I would suggest that you find place to stay in the temple of Mara as they will take in poor travellers." The innkeeper said as he had examined Tristan's overall look. "Alright then I will thank you for your suggestion and I will go ask for a room there." Tristan said and thanked the innkeeper then left the inn. He would go rest now and after that look for answers as his mind started to run slow already. He was tired.

Chapter XXI

~The Test; The temple of Mara. New dawn.~

Tristan sighed as he looked up to the sky when he came outside and headed towards the temple of Mara, the deity of compassion. Personally Tristan did care only a little about deities but still he respected them as they still had power to influence the world even if they do not take a shape in these lands. Tristan walked swiftly thought the town to the centre of the town as there was where the temple resided.

The temple was like large cathedral with nine altars. Eight next to walls and one in the centre of the the temple as that was the altar of Mara who was worshipped in this temple. The temple's main hall was mostly empty expect a lone female Aldmer, which Tristan did not know yet, priestess who was on her knees front of the altar praying. Aldmer are ancestors of all mer, elven, race but have high resemblance to Altmer which are the High Elves. She was quite beautiful in eyes of Tristan. A long white hair with golden skin along with dark green eyes. The Aldmer rose from her position to stand and looked at Tristan with small warm smile. "What brings you here?" She asked with voice which heard like singing beautiful song which you can never forget. "I am a poor traveller and I wish look for shelter from here for the time I am in this town. As you can see I am still but a child so I have no good way to gain money and I have no family who would take care of me on my travels." Tristan explained. In reality Tristan wasn't as young as he said in age of man but on his own race's age span he was just a child so he was not telling a lie. "Of course this temple will provide the shelter and food for travellers as long as you do not commit crimes so feel free to stay in here as long as you wish. You seem to be tired so the beds are when you go through that door and the second door in left." Aldmer said still having the same warm smile on her face as she pointed one of the doors which were in the temple. "Well then I shall thank you for your help." Tristan said and bowed clumsily as he was not sure how he should act in front of a beautiful lady then he just headed towards the bed. Tristan's steps were dragging already as he was really tired the magic he had used earlier took a lot of energy from him as it's not easy to direct anti-magic spells from mana stream and even thought Tristan was fast learner in magic it didn't mean he could channel lots of energy yet through his body. His mind was still too young and immature as you will become stronger in magic as you get older.

As Tristan came to the room where the priestess had given directions he fell to one of empty beds and fell into asleep. His sleep was now peaceful as this temple was sacred place and especially because of this is the temple of compassion. The sacred peace rested over this temple like a light mist. Tristan felt like his sleeps were watched over by kindness.

A form of woman which was hidden by radiant light appeared front of Tristan in his dream. "The time of awakening is coming near my child." The woman said with kind yet sad tone in her voice and disappeared before Tristan could say anything.

The sun of light shone directly to Tristan's eyes and he woke up. It was now morning as the sun was more in the east than before is it was clear that the sun still went around but for very short time. Tristan had slept now nine hours but that he did not know as he had lost of concept of time in this place. The sun was almost all the time up in the sky and it was as light as it would be in midday all the time. It wasn't really surprise to be confused about the time in place.

Tristan headed now outside to look for information about this place.

Chapter XXII

~Delilah. The Test is finally over.~

Tristan walked now with strong and fast steps as he was now slept well and was determined to find answers. He walked to the inn which he had gone last night and the innkeeper looked at Tristan. "So we meet again lad." The innkeeper said with a grin. "So what can I do for ya today?" He asked as he looked at Tristan. "Nothing as I have only find answers to questions and an inn is where most travellers gather, am I right?" Tristan said and sighed as he walked to the bar side of the inn.

The bar was full of travellers of different kind many races some unknown to Tristan. Tristan walked to a bartender who was behind a counter. "Excuse me could you tell me where exactly am I?" Tristan asked from the bartender. "Of course. You are in the town of Neverwinter at Sword Coast of continent of Faerûn. You seem to lost for asking such question." Bartender said with gentle smile. Continent of Faerûn... I never heard of such place not even books I have read. Tristan thought. He was confused. Was he transported to another realm entirely? Would the Council of the Mages have such power? How would they be able to supervise this whole thing? How would Tristan get out of here? Many questions ran through Tristan's mind. He needed answers yet looking for them just caused more confusion which led to fear. Get grip of yourself! This is just a test to see how I act! Tristan commanded himself before he lost himself to fear.

A middle-aged man ran to Tristan. "Excuse me mister mage but could you help me? I of course pay you for your help so can you come?" The man asked from Tristan. "What do I have to do?" Tristan asked as it would be foolish just to accept request without knowing what is needed to be done. "Simple really my daughter has been cursed by a witch so I need somebody to break the curse and you seem powerful mage so can you help me?" The man explained. He had great worry in his voice. "Alright I'll see what I can do for you but I cannot promise you anything as I am but an apprentice currently." Tristan said and sighed. "Thank you. Thank you." The man said gratefully and started to lead Tristan where her daughter was.

Tristan was led to outside of the town to the forest where Tristan had been before from there to a cave. The cave was deep and went long way underground. Tristan was led to the last chamber in the cave and there was a woman bound by magic to a rock. Both chains and the rock were covered in magical runes which were to bound evil creatures. "Can you free her?" The man asked from Tristan as Tristan examined the runes. "I... Yes I can but I don't think it is wise... These runes talk something about evil but I am not sure what as I do not recognize most of the runes." Tristan explained. What should he do? That was question which now haunted Tristan's mind. He had promised to that man he would free this woman if he could but the runes spoke about something evil. Free me and I shall grant you power and knowledge about arcane arts which has been long forgotten for we shall become one. A voice spoke to Tristan's mind. A voice of a woman. Tristan shook his head. No. He should not release this woman yet the promise of power was intriguing. There was no creature who would not wish to be more powerful. Tristan closed his eyes and took deep breath. He mumbled words of arcane and slammed his hand to the rock. The rock and chains shattered like glass and became only pile of rubble and iron. The woman collapsed to ground as she was now weak. "I thank you mage for helping my daughter." The man smiled happily as he picked up the woman and started to walk away from the cave.

Tristan was also starting to walk away but spirit of a woman became visible above the rubble. The woman was beautiful Imperial female around twenty years old with long pure white hair and dark blue eyes. She wore blue and golden robes of the arch-mage. "As I promised for freeing me I shall travel with you. I am not without gratefulness for freeing me from my prison. I am known as Delilah Regan but I hold still many other names which are not important to know so call my name if you wish to speak with me." The woman said with sweet smile as she walked to where Tristan was. "I know many races but I do not remember seeing one of your race any more on these realms. It seems our journey will be interesting one, young one." The woman said and walked directly inside Tristan and settled inside. Delilah was now bound to Tristan until Tristan would die. The walls started to swirl around Tristan and he started feel sick when he once again opened his eyes he was back in the classroom and before the Council of the Mages and Martin.

"The test is over. Apprentice Tristan Locksen have been judged." Martin declared with great authority in his voice.

Chapter XXIII

~Results. Lucas and Claire arrive.~

Test is over? Did I choose wrongly? Did I fail this test? No! I should not think like that! Tristan debated in his thoughts about the result. It had been long time since Tristan had been treated well or had something of his own. The magic was in that way special to Tristan. It was something of his own not gift or act of pity from somebody else. Tristan had been prisoned in that manor as long as he remembered by powerful runes which cannot be broken by normal means. There was special requirements for person who first opened the door to the manor. Martin had given new hope to Tristan by offering his teachings and help. Tristan took deep breath and looked that the council waiting for the results.

"You have been deemed by each of us as worthy to continue your studies to greater power. Do not be mistaken thought what you did and that town you went were not illusion but they exist in another realm, in another world so your actions were real. When you broke the illusion of the forest you proved that you have enough power to continue your studies. When you did not let yourself to fall complete confusion you proved that you have enough will to continue your studies. You freed a daughter of a man even thought the runes warned you not to and you kept your promise without care what would happen next thus you are good hearted person but you should examine your actions consequences in future as no action can be undone." Martin explained about what had happened and reasons why Tristan was accepted. "From your actions we have decided that you shall start study art of illusion as it seems to be closest to your personality." Martin finally said and pointed at the door. "You may now leave apprentice Tristan Locksen and later today you shall build your own staff and advance in rank if you succeed." Martin told and Tristan left the classroom.

Tristan was happy. Really happy. He had finally completed the test of mages and become real mage now. Well apprentice still but still one who could study further in the art. I can't let you forget me, now can I? A woman's, Delilah's, voice said in Tristan's mind. I have question lady Delilah. Why did the council say nothing about you or your whisper for more knowledge? Tristan asked from Delilah with his thoughts. Simple really. The council did not know my existence. Delilah replied without much of care in her tone. So you weren't part of the test? Tristan thought. That's right. I can guess your next question and the reason why I came to you was because I wished to travel around the world as I had been stuck in that cave very long time. I hope we can work together well as it will help both of us and I will give you the knowledge you wish for when time is correct to reveal it. Delilah replied and sighed then her voice faded away.

On almost other side of the city the two companions, Lucas and Claire, arrive to the Imperial City. "We have finally arrived." Lucas said with small grin. "Yeah. Finally we can sleep in good bed and eat real food. This is centre of all. If you can't find something from here you can find it nowhere." Claire said happily as the week of adventuring had been quite rough even thought they had been mostly on road. They had explored few ruins on the way for valuables as their money was quite limited as was almost anybody else who was travelling with light equipment. "I guess we can spent some of our money to entertainment as we got quite a lot with the artifacts we had found from the ruins." Lucas replied as he knew very well how much Claire wanted to buy new spells, clothes and such. "After that we head to the Arcane University, alright?" Lucas asked from Claire. "Okay okay we can." Claire said with small smile. She was now just like little kid who had found new toy. Just as excited.