The Types of Mods Being Produced

David Brasher

I am probably going to anger people by posting this topic, but sometimes I look at the list of latest mods uploaded, yawn, and go to another screen without downloading anything.

It seems that most of the mods being uploaded are houses to live in, new armors to wear, new uber-weapons, prettier bodies, and small game tweaks to fix a small pet-peeve someone has.

In all fairness, I must say that there are some very talented modders doing some very good work in all of these categories. Much time, effort, and skill has been expended on these game improvements. But I find myself wanting new things for my character to do. I want quests, adventures, and dungeons that take some time to complete.

So why is it that people are producing their fine mods almost exclusively in these other genres?

My guess is...it's a helluva lot easier to produce armor, bodies, and tweaks compared to dungeons and adventures because of the scripting, map making, AI, etc.

And I guess most people would rather look uber and crazy in some non lore- friendly armor with their drop dead gorgeous female PC with H cup boobs ( I mean seriously, H Cup? wtf). But that's not everybody.

I'd like to see more adventures too...lore-friendly of course :thumbsup:

I want quests too BUT it is hard to create good one. After all the quest, for it to be good one, it needs really talented story writer which are rare to come by and also it takes a lot of time to create all those scripts, new dungeons, weapons, armours and NPCs along with creatures. Also what quest might suit to one type of character might not suit yours so quests also needs to be quite neutral on point of view which is sometimes hard to keep.

I think mainly because it is a lot of effort to put in, and you don't really get much out of it.

Also, I agree about these talented modders, it's a shame to see their talents go to waste on some skimpy black outfit and other clothes instead of some bad-ass, dragon slaying adventure.

I'm aware that scripting and modelling are two different things, but usually you find a mod project flops because the author is useless at modelling/ texturing or useless in the more technical aspects such as scripting.

Time. It takes a lot of time to produce even a mediocre quest. a good one can take months.

Write the story, adapt it to what can be done in the CS, create the NPCs needed, create any special stuff - weapons clothing etc. create the special places (house, cave, fort etc.) edit the places, put the NPCs and stuff in the places. put the places in the game world. Write the scripts necessary. then test test test to be sure everything works as intended. - And this is for a simple quest.

For a new sword, copy existing sword, change texture, give new name, put into game - less than one hour. A sword is a great intro to modding. But after seeing what it takes many modders stop there.

Plus, there are many different skills needed for a quest mod. And the modder may not be skilled enough in scripting or in some other skill to try it. That's where teams come in.

However, some of the best quests have been done by a single person who dedicates a lot of time to learning each facet of modding then produces a Glenvar Castle or The Lost Spires.

Part of it is likely that even if 1/2 the modders were making quest mods, the other half doing houses/clothes/little things would still put out vastly more mods, simply because of how the huge difference in time requirements between a good quest(line) and a good piece of armor.

OK dear..there're many people who want to produce a quest but don't know how to and the ones who know the way don't have inspiration. yeah this is quite simple..

and modeling a new armor doesn't take you long.. so i have to bear the fact.. After all the speed determined this. thx

If ever you want to help in producing quests, PM the Krytalia Castle's Author who is worring about how to make one..

Ever you want inspiration email [email protected]. i may be helpful if you have told me enough clues. i'm a novelist indeed; so trust my story. Never PM me here because i wouldn't check me MSG here but check my mailbox everyday.

Select all to see the content above.

PFT!! Speak for yourselves guys with regards to the armor and swords being easy to make. The three simple mods I put together took me many, many hours to complete and I'm too embarrassed to disclose the actual number of hours put in to perfect them. Version 2 of my Carsomyr mode took a very long time to finish itself, and it was only a modification to my first version!

Seriously though, quest mods are scary in regards to time-consumption! I had intended on making my sword mods a quest reward but after it took so long just to make it, I had to draw the line some where. Considering that, a quest for myself as a modder will probably be out of the question.

I do have an idea for a quest that I really want to do and will hopefully one day be able to actually mod it. By that time though, in comparison to the time it cost to make simple equipment, TES5 will be out. LOL.