Help a newb hack through this modding jungle...the FPS monster is chasing me..

Anamandaris

So..I've spent the last few days messing around with different mods, seeing what works, what doesn't, etc., all the whiling learning as I go about how to install said files. I've got the basics down..I think.

Right now I can't seem to figure out what is causing my frame rate issues. Below I'll list my system specs and an overview of the mods I'm running:

System:

Intel i7-3770K on ASRock extreme6 mobo

AMD PowerColor R9 290X 4GB GDDR5

8GB G.Skill Sniper Series Ram

Skyrim installed on Intel SSD

Mods:

Phinix ENB

Climates of Tamriel + CoT Weather Patch

Various Texture Packs

Skyrim Flora Overhaul

W.A.T.E.R.

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

SMIM

Enhanced Distant Terrain + Enhanced Distant Terrain 2

Better Dynamic Snow

CBBE

Total number of mods is around 40

So I guess my question is, given the number and type of mods listed vs. the specs of my rig, is it expected to have significant fps loss? Some areas it stays between 50-60, others it drops into the 30s. I know ENBs are pretty heavy on the resources, but I swear I've seen youtube videos of people with less capable systems running more than this without a hitch at Ultra High or close to settings.

This is especially frustrating, considering my old rig had half the RAM, an ASUS 580GTX, and an AMD Phenom II cpu, and ran Skyrim just fine on mostly High settings with a handful of mods. I figured this would be a vast improvement. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

I'm guessing the issue has something to do with me cobbling all of this together like a noob. I've changed, overwritten, deleted, and re-added so many files over the last few days trying to get it to look satisfactory, and I'm sure I've messed something up, I just don't know where. I'm still new to modding, NMM, etc., and I probably wasn't very efficient.

I understand load order is important, so I've been using BOSS, though whether or not I've been using it correctly is another story.

So there you have it.

I probably didn't give enough info, and there are probably threads I didn't read (I DID attempt to solve my own problems before posting). My brain is fried.

Help a brotha out!

I was thinking..would it be a good idea to do a fresh install of Skyrim? Maybe it would clean up potentially system bogging clutter. Then I'd just re-add the mods, now that I know which ones I actually like.

I also got to thinking my GPU is pretty new. Is it possible there are bottle necks in the .ini files that I need to correct to utilize the full potential of the card??

Edited by Anamandaris

Thanks for the replies. I'll give that script cleaner a try.

Also @camaro_69_327..tried starting a new game, frames were dipping to low 40's at times just rolling through Helgen to the chopping block. I did see 60 off and on, but never consistent.

See if it is Just ENB......press [shift] + [F12] , turns off ENB see if your FPS jumps up. IF it does their ya go...start turning things off in your ENB. Press [shift]+[enter] ..config menu for ENB, second box down., near the top is all the Global settings for the ENB. Start with DOF, Dynamic shadows...ect ect.

EDIT: to add ...Ohh and Post your BOSS log (in spoiler tags).

Edited by camaro_69_327

@camaro....ENB definitely contributes to the fps drop. Frames stabilize at 60.1 when I switch it off, but I've been aware of this. What frustrates me is I feel my system should be able to handle it, leading me to believe it's more an issue of sloppy modding due to my inexperience causing the underlying issue.

BOSS Log:

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
    • Contains dirty edits: 92 ITM, 3 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Version 3.1 Active
  • SMPC.esp Version 1.48d Active
  • HighResTexturePack01.esp
  • HighResTexturePack02.esp
  • HighResTexturePack03.esp
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Version 1.3.1a Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
    • Note: If you using version 2.0 of the unofficial patches but you see this message you need to download this file: userlist.txt. After the download you need to copy this file to your 'BOSS\Skyrim\' folder or add the contents of this file to an already existing userlist.txt. Just ignore this message after updating any preexisting userlist.txt or copying the file to your 'BOSS\Skyrim\' folder.
  • unofficial high resolution patch.esp Version 1.1.1 Active
  • Better Dynamic Snow.esp Active
  • PNENB.esp Version 1.0 Active
  • calientevanillaarmor - banditpack curvy.esp Active
  • StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active
  • staticmeshimprovementmod-part2.esp
  • staticmeshimprovementmod-part3.esp
  • StaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp Active
  • densegrass.esp
  • skyui.esp Version 4.1 Active
  • The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp Version 1.2.7 Active
  • cbbecurvy.esp Active
  • dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
  • UnreadBooksGlow.esp Version 2.2.0 Active
  • CoT-WeatherPatch.esp Active
  • water.esp Version 2.0 Active
  • WATER Plants.esp Version 2.0 Active

Thanks for the BOSS log...i see dense grass...check your Skyrim ini for ...

iMinGrassSize=

20 is default but set it to a higher number see if the FPS improves...

With your computer stats you should see 100 FPS...I do, and i only have....I 7 2600k 16 GB ram and 2 - 580's in SLI. and stuck on a HDD...lol

I have run the first part of the Helgen Sequence ( till you jump down off wagon) over 20 times, to benchmark my system as i installed STEP...i can say, without a single mod installed i averaged 98 FPS.

With all the STEP core installed i am down to 68 FPS and that includes the HD DLC's <<(biggest hit so far). and the GPU is loading 2100 + MB.

Make sure your ENB is not limiting your FPS either......have you tried rolling back to the Original (box shipped) drivers for that video card?

Check to be sure nothing is getting forced on, in your GPU drivers...Ambient Occlusion...AA- AF- Trans AA and the like.

are you using Cot weather patch - fog edition?that has a heavy performance hit which may explain dropping into the 30s

skyrim seems to prefer nvidia cards and also enb is being developed on a nvidia gpu so while your gpu is as fast as a titan you will experience worse performance in this game