The game is Kind of difficult

shadyhasankhan

Hi, Just started playing Fallout 3 yesterday. (I am a die hard fan of Oblivion).

I kind of feel the game is little harder. i am always out of ammo. money. (I am at level 4 )

everywhere i go somebody is trying to kill me.

and what's with the hunter guys sometimes thay attck you without any reson and sometimes they are friendly ..... why is that

i am seriously out of money and ammo and i dont want to steal.

can.t proceed with the quest , give me some tips on how to proceed

Get to Megaton if you haven't, and make friends (or decide not to), then off to Rivet City and do the same. Barter and loot until you've gotten enough to upgrade your weapons. It gets easier pretty fast, which can actually be a bummer since you become a walking tank. Anyway, take on some side quests from Moira and you'll ramp up pretty quickly.

Well, since you asked, there are three major kind of 'hunters'.

1. Those who will attack you when you come across them, no matter what. But playing on, you will quickly recognize who they are and can plan your tactic(s) accordingly.

2. Those who will always attack you because they are seemingly searching for the PC. Again, you will soon find out who they are.

3. Hunters and Scavengers who will sell you their merchandise, aside from the regular caravan traders.

Wandering around, you will most likely come across a certain faction who are neutral, and only attack you if you attack first. They are very arrogant though, and downright insulting.

Later on you will run into two other factions, one won't come after you , and the other one will.

Do a lot of side-quests to level up, and you should be so strong that you might even wish for the heart-pumping, adrenaline-boosting times of yore.

That's about as much as can be said without spoiling the game.

As for money and ammo - explore, scavenge above and below, and find Traders in the cities and wandering around the FO3 world. But beware: There are creatures in some areas that are very strong, too strong for a low level PC. Save your game often, and remember, there is no shame in running away, or being sneaky.

Keep your eyes open for things called Yau Gui, they are deadly at low levels. They are also extremely fast so pay attention to youre surrounding lol.

A tip for getting easy caps and ammo...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

Easy Money:

A) Sell bits of scrap metal to the guy in the Megaton Water Processing plant.

Easy .556 ammo, grenades, rad away, or stimpaks

B) Collect items like sensor modules, laser weapons, plasma weapons, and power armors (if you can spare the encumberance) and then pay a visit to Fort Independance. Its southwest of Megaton, not too far away. Theres a base of Brotherhood Outcasts there. Bring their leader the above mentioned items and he will pay you with either .556 ammo, grenades, radaway, or stimpaks.

Lol because of this I have over 11,000 rounds of .556 haha.

Of course if you dont use assault rifles that ammo type is useless to you but its better than no bullets at all lol.

Maybe Fallout 3 is a bit hard in the beginning but as soon as you got the knack of it and reached a higher level it is, at least in my opinion, a lot easier than Oblivion. The reason? No level scaling!

The stupid level scaling totally killed Oblivion for me. I mean, getting spanked by a strong enemy, level up, come back and beat the crap out of this guy is part of the fun, right? In Oblivion you can spend hours fighting some stupid goblin shaman with a bazillion healthpoints, self healing powers and completely resistant against elemental damage. I thought this was kind of ridiculous.

In Fallout 3 I got beaten up a few times by raiders, deathclaws or yao guai. Then I leveled up, got myself decent weaponry and a power armor and came back for my terrible revenge. Much fairer than Oblivion was.

Maybe Fallout 3 is a bit hard in the beginning but as soon as you got the knack of it and reached a higher level it is, at least in my opinion, a lot easier than Oblivion. The reason? No level scaling!

The stupid level scaling totally killed Oblivion for me. I mean, getting spanked by a strong enemy, level up, come back and beat the crap out of this guy is part of the fun, right? In Oblivion you can spend hours fighting some stupid goblin shaman with a bazillion healthpoints, self healing powers and completely resistant against elemental damage. I thought this was kind of ridiculous.

In Fallout 3 I got beaten up a few times by raiders, deathclaws or yao guai. Then I leveled up, got myself decent weaponry and a power armor and came back for my terrible revenge. Much fairer than Oblivion was.

Oh man this, this, a thousand times this. I spent most of my time playing Oblivion desperately trying not to get into fights. When I did they ended up taking ten minutes of my time even for lowly roadside thieves because they were just that much stronger than me (and I had to run away while taking cheap potshots with wimpy fireballs to kill them, all the while aggro-ing three other enemies). It took me till 3/4's of the way through the Main Quest before I finally found myself able to take on most enemies. By that time I had gotten an invisibility spell and I walked through all the necessary dungeons and avoided most unecessary ones. It really. REALLY. Ruined the experience for me (the leveling did, not the spell. The spell made the Oblivion gates bearable, specially the timed one.)

Fallout 3 I see a war between super mutants and Enclave and I walk right into the middle of it and kill everyone without a sweat. Maybe Fallout makes it too easy, but I prefer that over living in fear of exploring the game.

Let me ask you guys a question. Is there much difference in the settings between Normal and Hard in the game? I'm thinking I may ramp it up a level just to make it a bit more challenging. Has anyone played at both levels and was it really different? I started at Normal simply because I've never played a RPG/FPS before and didn't really know what to expect.

I suppose it is a matter of preference and gaming style. I like it to be challenging, so I am an avid user of realism/immersion mods. Those that reduce XP gain are great - it makes the game harder for a longer time. One example of such a balancing approach is Arwens' and there are others -- again, it's a matter of preference. There is even a mod (or maybe more than one) that delevels the leveled list, so you are just as apt to come across a powerful adversary while wandering around as you are a normal Radroach. Boy, that keeps the adrenaline pumping! :) Combined with a game-balancing mods, those that add encounters and types of encounters like MMM greatly ups the challenge.

It doesn't take a lot of work to make Fallout3 challenging -- a lot of great modders have made contributions that can enhance your gaming experience to suit your style of play. For those who want hard and real or for those who want to be the uber God of the Wastelands, there's a mod or two for you. For all its faults, Fallout3 -- like Oblivion -- is at least extremely customizable.