Years later: the Pitt in more detail.

Alixen

So, Fallout 3 is aging at this point, and we have all played it so many times (potentially) that it holds no new surprises. But... that's not really the case, is it?

For example, Midea of the Pitt.

I've generally sided with Ashur after the first time, where I reflexively freed the slaves. He has a plan, and no matter how horrific, the Pitt has a chance at becoming an actual place of production - a rare thing in the wasteland. There have been threads before on the topic, and this isn't really about the moral choice as such, so I won't delve into my reasoning when others have done so better in the past. Instead, I wanted to note something i've missed on previous play throughs.

Midea is a hypocrite.

Sure, she is willing to kidnap a child. I already knew that, and often use the Child At Heart perk option on her, and she ends up suitably repentant. However, I was taking it slow this time. The slaves are all sore ridden, worked to death, fed a mix of radioactive water and 'strange meat', and if they are punished beaten or put in the stocks, and if injured shot and replaced.

Midea though... I looked around her room. She talks about how terrible it is being under Ashur's heel, and the treatment they (including herself) receive.

She eats squirrel stew and boxed scavenged food, drinks water, milk and even whiskey... rather than trog-meat. She has her own room, rather than a mattress on the floor, or the floor itself. She is clean and clothed, rather than sore-ridden, dirty and wearing rags that serve little purpose. She doesn't work in the mill, nor even on the terminals, instead she has a desk and seems to 'direct' the other slaves and serve as spokesman.

It occurs that she is doing remarkably well for herself, to say she despises being under the 'heel' of Ashur so much. Frankly, her position seems more privileged than that of even the raiders, who generally aren't that much better off than the other 'workers'. Initially I thought it was a bug that she looked so different to the other slaves, but now i'm not so sure. To say she is a middle aged woman, she certainly doesn't seem very close to succumbing to the disease that supposedly all of them get.

Any thoughts on this, or anything to add? Anything else you've noticed?

So, Fallout 3 is aging at this point, and we have all played it so many times (potentially) that it holds no new surprises. But... that's not really the case, is it?

For example, Midea of the Pitt.

I've generally sided with Ashur after the first time, where I reflexively freed the slaves. He has a plan, and no matter how horrific, the Pitt has a chance at becoming an actual place of production - a rare thing in the wasteland. There have been threads before on the topic, and this isn't really about the moral choice as such, so I won't delve into my reasoning when others have done so better in the past. Instead, I wanted to note something i've missed on previous play throughs.

Midea is a hypocrite.

Sure, she is willing to kidnap a child. I already knew that, and often use the Child At Heart perk option on her, and she ends up suitably repentant. However, I was taking it slow this time. The slaves are all sore ridden, worked to death, fed a mix of radioactive water and 'strange meat', and if they are punished beaten or put in the stocks, and if injured shot and replaced.

Midea though... I looked around her room. She talks about how terrible it is being under Ashur's heel, and the treatment they (including herself) receive.

She eats squirrel stew and boxed scavenged food, drinks water, milk and even whiskey... rather than trog-meat. She has her own room, rather than a mattress on the floor, or the floor itself. She is clean and clothed, rather than sore-ridden, dirty and wearing rags that serve little purpose. She doesn't work in the mill, nor even on the terminals, instead she has a desk and seems to 'direct' the other slaves and serve as spokesman.

It occurs that she is doing remarkably well for herself, to say she despises being under the 'heel' of Ashur so much. Frankly, her position seems more privileged than that of even the raiders, who generally aren't that much better off than the other 'workers'. Initially I thought it was a bug that she looked so different to the other slaves, but now i'm not so sure. To say she is a middle aged woman, she certainly doesn't seem very close to succumbing to the disease that supposedly all of them get.

Any thoughts on this, or anything to add? Anything else you've noticed?

I would agree with that analysis and also point out that even after using the Child at Heart perk, she generally is a jerk afterwards.

While overall Ashur's plan is based on an evil institution, he does allow slaves to advance into his ranks and I think the problem of the "radiation" and whatnot that causes people to turn into trogs also could be attributed to effecting his men and perhaps his own view of things. Even if accepted as part of uptown, Ashurs mercenaries are regularly hostile and inconsistent in their behavior.

• 2 months later...

This is one of the reasons why the Pitt, arguably, was one of my least favorite DLCs for Fallout 3. Midea even alludes to conditions not changing or becoming worse after Wernher takes over. Either way, she's going to have it good if either Ashur or Wernher take over the Pitt. That's why I just ended up cannibalizing Marie (with help from mods) and then slaughtering all of the Pitt. There was no real way to save it, so I just decided to purge the blight off the map.