What Happened To Modding?

Xanorak

I noticed recently, it seems that there is less and less activity in modding nowadays. Last time, I would check back every day and see brand new mods, I would open ten to fifteen, and will probably download ten of those. I would check back after doing the shortest of tasks knowing that a new mod would've been added by then. But nowadays, whenever I check the Today and Recent section, it's all the same as yesterday. Nothing new. What happened? Ran out of ideas? That's what the request section is for. Have you guys noticed this too? I am saddened by this...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed recently, it seems that there is less and less activity in modding nowadays. Last time, I would check back every day and see brand new mods, I would open ten to fifteen, and will probably download ten of those. I would check back after doing the shortest of tasks knowing that a new mod would've been added by then. But nowadays, whenever I check the Today and Recent section, it's all the same as yesterday. Nothing new. What happened? Ran out of ideas? That's what the request section is for. Have you guys noticed this too? I am saddened by this...

With fewer people buying the game the longer its been out, the fewer new modders are going to come here and post their mods. It doesn't help that it's not exactly an easy process to learn how to make decent mods. There's a very, very steep learning curve and most people are just plain scared off by it.

Yes, I understand. But then, it also seems that many people are just sick of modding. RegentEagle has given up on modding, so has Jaysus, and so many others. I guess it's a burden for many :(

Also, it doesn't matter how long ago the game came out if the mods keep it new and fresh all the time. It's like getting new DLC's everyday, but it's free.

I just really hope that modders don't lose the motive to mod again...

Id say its due to the stubbornness of the game engine along with the still limited software's. Plus the people who are decent or more at modding tend to all be working on several large projects by themselves. So you add all that up and you get a lot of problems a lot of frustration which leads to disinterestedness. Which equals more breaks and troubleshooting and less mod time. Plus you have to remember that no one here does modding for a living everyone has lives. Well most people...

I wouldn't judge the mod community by the quantity of mods, a lot more important is the quality.

We also had the summer months in which activity is always lower.

Overall I see a lot of progress made in regards to FO3 modding since it came out and thats just a year ago. A lot of mods have come a long way since that time.

I know there are at least a couple of modders (me included) who are waiting for FOSE v2 before we start any new projects. Also, I'm not sure about in other parts of the world but here in New Zealand it's exam time, so that's sure to affect some people.

Cipscis