What Happened To Modding?

Xanorak

What? you're playing games? Dude I literallly just started setting up F3 on my pc last night, for the first time. I ended up in max rigging directly after extracting the game files from the bsa. I Still haven't even started the game up! I'll probably start the geck up before I do that. I do have to play the game at some point as it is very valuable research into modding and what have you.

hopefully it won't be long before I get DA. I am not sure about modding it though, maybe just a once play through. Again as research.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? you're playing games? Dude I literallly just started setting up F3 on my pc last night, for the first time. I ended up in max rigging directly after extracting the game files from the bsa. I Still haven't even started the game up! I'll probably start the geck up before I do that. I do have to play the game at some point as it is very valuable research into modding and what have you.

hopefully it won't be long before I get DA. I am not sure about modding it though, maybe just a once play through. Again as research.

Again as research.
Anyone else have issue with those words or just me!? :confused:

thanks Buddha, I've been reincaranted in the F3 universe. I think I graduated from my novice Ob modding, and hopefull have something worthwhile to share for F3. Hope yall like star wars! haha

Do what you want we can't stop you :P . And I don't have issues with Star Wars itself just that I would have to classify it as a God Mod if you only on it in a player only aspect, just because it give an un balanced weapon that kill anything in one swing.

Granted it would be fun at first by then where would be the challange in that? :closedeyes:

Everyone's playing Dragon Age ;)

Not even worth commenting :whistling: . Sry :P ;)

Again as research.

yes, it is just you

I play through games for research all of the time. Anyone who makes 3D models and stuff should do that.

I have about 300 screenshots from my play through Call of Jarez for references to use on the town I am building.

from a mod testing stand point I understand, but playing for the first time just for modding just seems wrong to me. I would understand if he played though the game on a differnet console first...

Ok i'm starting to repeat myself i'll just end the post here.

t-minus 2 days if anyone cares :glare:

Really? Because I always search through all the recent activity and I find nothing new or interesting. I used to just refresh my page every 5 minutes to find 3 new mods. Nowadays I barely find more than 5 new mods in 3 days. Or maybe it's just me.

Huh? Maybe if you don't go to today in the early morning, you would find a lot more. Try to look at recent. As I wrote earlier, about 10 new files are added per day (recently fallout3nexus exceeded 10000 files), and some 30-40 updates.

Again as research.

Firstly, I would like to be well on top of what developers are doing in games. and the direction of gaming. So actually playing the games made by the top developers is a good way of keeping up to date on whats happening. though I am totally behind. I get maybe 2 games a year.

Secondly, deciphering what some assets do in game is pretty impossible without actually looking at them in game. Particles and shaders aren't supported in nifskope, so i have to see the lighting and shaders in action before I can tell where one will be usefull to me.

And I want to see what Beth has done, there could be all manner of things I might want to later reverse engineer after seeing that senario in game. I can get a really good grasp of how the game is put together, by seeing all the different parts working together.

Do what you want we can't stop you . And I don't have issues with Star Wars itself just that I would have to classify it as a God Mod if you only on it in a player only aspect, just because it give an un balanced weapon that kill anything in one swing.

Granted it would be fun at first by then where would be the challange in that?

sorry what? lightsabers?

That is being presumptuous. I haven't made any mention of what I am actually working on. It could be something really ambitious, a yoda race rigged to the child skeleton with a new idle and walk anim, or a custom creature... rancor.

it's not.

or it could be a conversion + nearly complete overhaul of the rebel pilots mod I made for Oblivion, if you think that would be out of place in F3? check how wrong that wasin Ob. I didn't expect people to actually Dl or use those assets. tbh I don't care.

I 90% mod for myslef, the other 10% is for people who will make good use of my assets in their mods.

I do respect my lore from time to time, bring old favs back. but you know there are only so magic swords I can do, before I need to fire a blaster!

I can't speak for anyone else but when FO3 came out, I was a bit excited about the prospect of modding for it. I've been modding Oblivion for quite some time and the transition to it would be fairly simple.

However, I quickly found the initial Fallout crowd to be quite rude. [snip]

I simply backed away from the Fallout scene.

LHammonds

This.

I modded Oblivion for three years (still do a bit ). In all that time, I did not have to disable comments on any of my mods due to rudeness. My few mods for FO3 earned so much instant flack that I backed off it quite quickly. While I do still occasionally work on things for my own game, there's not much chance I'll release anything original (conversions possibly).

Initially I was very excited about Fallout's possibilities for armor and clothing mods - it has some neat features Oblivion's engine lacks. That was before I learned that the Fallout community has a much higher turkey quotient by and large than the ES community does. I really admire the toughness of folks like Breeze and Dimon99, but I decided that if I was going to swim with sharks anyway I'd try it over in the Poser/DAZ community where 1. I own the copyright to my artwork and 2. I at least have a small chance at getting paid for my trouble.

If you make mods, you're doing it for the feedback and the cred, not for money. If the cred is minimal (as it is for all but the huge or elaborate mods) and the hassle is enormous (which it always is), there's really no point.

I have found that also true to some extent. Its the difference between rpg players, and fps players. one is introspective and curious and have a certian patience and understanding to game playing. the other lean more towards-ma gunz, boom, hahaha u pwned newb! Broad generalisation I know.

Also I have seen many people complain about "your mod breaks lore" quite feverishly. And have a little complex about it, like it is somehow affecting them in anyway. Its like the see the moral decline of society is solely down to the fact people make mods of various kinds. For fun. plus the anti adult mod thing. None of this happened to any significant degree in MW or Ob.

Check this short topic on the BS forums for a recent example of rude ignorance http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.ph...1056257&hl=

I was nearly rude in reply, just sarcastic. Almost told him to scurry back to F3 general discussion.

perhaps now that F3 is a year old, it'll be a better scene.

Those kinda people make me LOL. The best part is most of them have never made a mod in their life and still use various lore breaking mods or are willing to make "exceptions" for certain things... Their input is meaningless all they do is complain and expect everyone to listen to them like they are the most important people in the world.

Welcome Ghogiel!

I can't wait to see what you come up with! :thumbsup:

Also.

I have noticed that the FO3 modding community is ruder than the oblivion community. But I just ignore the rude comments and focus on the positive, one good comment makes up for 10 rude ones. Now that the community is older I think most of the rude people have boiled off, if not than we need to give them the boot. Let them know that negative comments are not well tolerated here and help modders by making lots of positive productive comments.