Adding Morrowind's style werewolves to Oblivion

Jacob Black

yeah. big corporations really suck about copyright violations.
I think you don't understand the situation. "Big Corporations" does not mean they created all the content. They are also bound by law, licenses and agreements when using content created by other people (e.g. freelance contractors) to not give away their artwork since it is not theirs to give away.

For example, I might have been the one that created the Bloodmoon werewolf model, textures, animation and sounds. When Bethesda created the game, some things can be purchased and implemented much faster by paying freelance contractors to create the models or purchase already existing models than to do so in-house. I might have a contract with them where they can use my werewolf in their expansion pack ONLY and not re-use it for any of their other games. If they do, they need to pay me again. Allowing the mod community to modify the werewolf as long as it is required that the modification REQUIRES Bloodmoon is OK since I might have a contract with Bethesda to receive a fraction of the profit from sales of Bloodmoon or that my work is not ported to other games.

There are so many situations like that related to the assets in these games that we as a modding community have no clue as to who created what and all the legal aspects surrounding it. So a blanket rule-of-thumb is made where we can modify the content as long as it is within and requires that game / expansion pack...but we cannot "move / port" those assets to other games...even if they are owned by the same company.

This would be an entirely different scenario if said company created all the assets for all of their games...but they don't. Very few do.

LHammonds

"I might have a contract with them where they can use my werewolf..."

Yes there are two distinct areas to be considered. General Copyright law probably wouldn't prevent you from doing such a port for your own use only, and not distributed (not even giving a copy to your friend), but you agree to Beth's terms & conditions when you install their games, and that forbids using assets outside of the games in which they come. This includes, and passes on, their own contractual obligations.

So much legal issues! Mah brain is hurtn' :wacko: We need Phoenix Wright. He can point dramatically and shout "Objection!" That should solve all of our problems. Yup, that's what we'll do

Or Jhonnie Cochran.