Head Collector Mod

TomGunn

I was talking about the head mesh used in face gen data.

For stock NPCs: Meshes > actors > character > facegendata > facegeom > Skyrim.esm

The file names are made up of 8 characters which are in hex format. The last 6 match the last 6 of the ID# of the actor record. The first two are always 00.

DLC and mods will have their actor head meshes in the same location with the exception of the last directory being that of the associated plugin. i.e. Dawnguard NPC head meshes would be in Meshes > actors > character > facegendata > facegeom > Dawnguard.esm

What you found is what is used when a head is decapitated to cover the otherwise empty area of the neck on both the body and the head. Most likely, a new nif will need to be made that adds the appropriate decapitatedhead mesh to the regular head mesh

Well you could use the models from when you decapitate people. You can decapitate anyone so that means there is a system for it.

i was originally under the impression of that yeah. But I feel like it'd probably be more complicated.

I also had a thought of a mod that could run off the "head carrying" idea that Carovere put out. The more "barbaric" styled npcs could wear the heads of the other npcs they have killed. And even the players head if the player dies. (which could also lead into another neato idea that once the player had died, the NPC carrying the head becomes player controlled, sort of like an ever continuous story.)

But I'm getting "ahead" of myself... huehue

Well you could use the models from when you decapitate people. You can decapitate anyone so that means there is a system for it.

That is the system I was referring to.

The entire actor body is comprised of a head mesh, a body mesh, hands mesh & feet mesh. All four are put together by the game. The hands and feet are separate from the body so that you can choose to have any combination of clothed or naked. The head is separate so that it can be decapitated. The decapitated gore which is added to hide the internal default gaps where the neck on both head and body meshes meet is assigned to the race record. These decapitated gore parts are hard coded to appear only during decapitation events.

After looking, there are already Armor Addon forms set up for that so modified nifs do not need to be created like I originally thought. These AA plus a new AA that uses the actor's standard head mesh combined on a single Armor form could give a "helmet" item that the player can take from the deceased.

However, that does not cause the npc body to lose the head visually. Perhaps a new item that is the decapitated neck gore (body side only) that also uses the head body slot could be force equipped and effectively make it appear as if the head has been severed and removed by the player.

I'm wondering if I should do a proof of concept plugin. Something that has willing volunteers to be killed and decapitated... I, however, have no desire to make a fully fledged mod out of this. But, if needed, I could do the base concept and ensure it works as I think it would.

That is the system I was referring to.

The entire actor body is comprised of a head mesh, a body mesh, hands mesh & feet mesh. All four are put together by the game. The hands and feet are separate from the body so that you can choose to have any combination of clothed or naked. The head is separate so that it can be decapitated. The decapitated gore which is added to hide the internal default gaps where the neck on both head and body meshes meet is assigned to the race record. These decapitated gore parts are hard coded to appear only during decapitation events.

After looking, there are already Armor Addon forms set up for that so modified nifs do not need to be created like I originally thought. These AA plus a new AA that uses the actor's standard head mesh combined on a single Armor form could give a "helmet" item that the player can take from the deceased.

However, that does not cause the npc body to lose the head visually. Perhaps a new item that is the decapitated neck gore (body side only) that also uses the head body slot could be force equipped and effectively make it appear as if the head has been severed and removed by the player.

I'm wondering if I should do a proof of concept plugin. Something that has willing volunteers to be killed and decapitated... I, however, have no desire to make a fully fledged mod out of this. But, if needed, I could do the base concept and ensure it works as I think it would.

I volunteer lol

I am to put it bluntly.... stuck.

I can set up a neck item to be force equipped when the head item is removed from a dead body. The script works well. The neck item looks just like it does when you decapitate via kill move. However, the head item needs to have a ground object mesh. All my attempts at creating one have either crashed the CK, resulted in an odd neck stretch through the skull upwards or was left hanging in mid-air with no ability to pick it back up after being dropped. This is due to my inability to understand all the ins and outs of 3D Meshes and NifSkope.

Even if someone were able to create an appropriate NIF file for the ground object, we do encounter another problem. That problem is incompatibility with mods/DLC that might change the face geom data. So it would be best, I think, to stick with a default head per race per gender.

Here is the script that I applied to the head item that the player takes. If someone wants to try tinkering with the meshes, feel free to use the script.

Script if head item is armor

Scriptname abimSHHeadScript extends ObjectReference  

Armor Property SeveredHead  Auto  
Bool Done = false

Event OnContainerChanged(ObjectReference akNewContainer, ObjectReference akOldContainer)
	If (akOldContainer as Actor) && (akNewContainer == Game.GetPlayer()) && (Done == false)
		(akOldContainer as Actor).EquipItem(SeveredHead)
		Done = true
	EndIf
EndEvent

Event OnEquipped(Actor akActor)
	If akActor == Game.GetPlayer()
		Game.GetPlayer().UnequipItem(Self)
		Debug.Notification("Not allowed to equip")
	EndIf
EndEvent

The armor property is actually for the neck item that gets equipped when the head item is removed. In order to have the item be able to be picked up by the player it had to be flagged as playable, so the script checks to see if the player equips it and unequips it.

Script if head item is a misc object

Scriptname abimSHHeadScript extends ObjectReference  

Armor Property SeveredHead  Auto  
Bool Done = false

Event OnContainerChanged(ObjectReference akNewContainer, ObjectReference akOldContainer)
	If (akOldContainer as Actor) && (akNewContainer == Game.GetPlayer()) && (Done == false)
		(akOldContainer as Actor).EquipItem(SeveredHead)
		Done = true
	EndIf
EndEvent 

The armor property is actually for the neck item that gets equipped when the head item is removed.

So without using scripts the only way to get a severed head is to create our own mesh?

The script is for forcing the neck gore to be shown on the body. It has nothing to do with creating a severed head. It may be possible to use the existing data to create a severed head mesh. However, it would still be a custom mesh and is beyond my abilities.

There are two required items for a severed head:

1. The severed head that the player takes

2. A neck gore visual that replaces the head on the body

#2 is done easily by taking the existing DecapitateHead armor form changing the ID name, removing the various DecapitateHead armor addon entries and changing the body slots to include the head.

#1 is where I failed.

Perhaps it could have been possible to just make them customized skulls instead? Like, maybe slightly retextured to have the same warpaint as the deceased, or the same hair, horns, helmet, or whatnot. Of course it wouldn't be as gritty and bloody as having the actual heads, but it could be a possible workaround...