Fallout 3 Music Video

kungfubellydancer

Hi, everyone, you all know me.

Well, I want to go about making a Fallout 3 Music video, but I've never done anything of the like before. I am using both a Windows Vista laptop (where the game is) and a Mac OS 10.

So, what are some helpful programs I should use, such as gameplay recording software, sound editing software (I have GarageBand on Mac), video conversion software if I need it, etc etc. Also, I need some helpful modding advice for the following:

-Making a custom race (in the image of a pre-made NPC) for the player should it be favorable to use the third person camera

-A script to force the camera off to a certain angle, such as facing the feet from the side, facing the player from front with the head cropped out, etc

-A script to force an NPC to sit/stand/perform a certain animation

-Toggle Collision, Godmode, Invisibility (undetectable PC so that NPCs don't look or shoot at PC) and Slowing the speed of the PC/NPC

-Disable all menus, text, and crosshairs

-Slow Motion (or HUD-less VATS)

-Scripted fighting between certain NPCs

-whatever else I might have left out that could be useful. This is all I thought up so far.

Thanks for your help, this will mean a lot to me, and I hope I make something worth watching and of decent quality.

-Making a custom race (in the image of a pre-made NPC) for the player should it be favorable to use the third person camera

-A script to force the camera off to a certain angle, such as facing the feet from the side, facing the player from front with the head cropped out, etc NOT SURE ON THIS ONE

-A script to force an NPC to sit/stand/perform a certain animation

-Toggle Collision, Godmode, Invisibility (undetectable PC so that NPCs don't look or shoot at PC) and Slowing the speed of the PC/NPC

-Disable all menus, text, and crosshairs YOU CAN DO THIS BY SETTING THE TRANSPARENCY IN THE GAME OPTIONS

-Slow Motion (or HUD-less VATS)

-Scripted fighting between certain NPCs

-whatever else I might have left out that could be useful. This is all I thought up so far.

the easiest way for you to do this would be either a screencapture software, that films ingame and you edit that video file or you use Photoshop, create all the images required (in order) and render these images into a videofile (25 jpegs per second video)

to make an ingame playable video you need Bink & Smacker - Rad Video Tools (it really is a simple tool, just select the video file you want, and click on bink it, fill out the form and you will get the video file)

recoding the video should be rather fast

for Audio: Audacity and Blaze Media Pro (both rather simple but effective cutting/merging/editing software for audio files incl. recoding) and you can use Blaze to cut/merge video files as well (incl. sync to audio)

you could also use (all Adobe soft.): Flash (probably the easiest to learn for simple animations) or Illustrator (good if you know what vector graphics are and understand how to work with them)

but just to say it: making a video from scratch is not as easy as it sounds. animating a stickfigure already takes massive work, so if you plan on animating something big, you will get frustrated fast. (mainly because you work for hours and don't even have a second of video to show for it (in case you go with the easiest way of scratch method: frame by frame editing))

so your easiest choice will be to record ingame and cut that video

I use Fraps for recording video clips while playing Fallout 3. You can download a free trial of it, but you will have to pay a bit to get a version that will record more than 30 seconds at a time with no video stamp. It is a very easy to use software though.

Windows Movie Maker for editing video, audio, graphics and titles together. Probably not the best software available, but it seems to have come with Vista on my computer so it was free. Decent editing capability, even allows some simple animations. Can generate HD videos for YouTube.

Sony SoundForge for recording and editing soundfiles.

Photoshop for editing stills and graphics, animation cells.

The GECK for designing and scripting scenes. Create multiple .esp files if necessary for individual scenes. You will have to experiment with scripting, AI Packages, Idle Markers and NPC creation to get scenes to play out the way that you want. You won't likely find tutorials specifically about modding for videos, but there are some that can point you to methods that can be adapted.

BinkVideo if you want to produce video clips that can be viewed while playing a Fallout 3 mod. Not needed if you are planning only for your Media Player or YouTube.

for the recording and editing i use a full copy version of fraps, sony vegas pro 9 (windows media editor thing is alright.. nothing special.. but it sucks in comparison to sony vegas pro), photoshop is handy too. i have made some music videos for fallout 3.. only a couple mind you, but they rocked nonetheless :P

I finally found my CD, and I've come across a new problem. I'm using a Vista and my FO3 is installed in a folder called Program Files (x86). The mods I created in GECK won't show up under Data, where I'm assuming they are supposed to show up (because I'm an experienced TESIII and IV modder), nor will they show up when I press Data Files on the FO3 splash screen. What's going on here?

I recommend taking a look at this topic as well. It's pretty recent and just as well applicable to fallout: Film Tips (Tutorial)

It's pretty much the same as has been said, but the invisible tricks give nice effects, the same if you kill and quickly resurrect yourself. The camera will be totally different after that.