Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising

antonkr

What can i say about OFP 2. First of all its not as realistic as first OFP and ArmA and ArmA 2

Instead of making a good war simulator, they made another Call of Duty game. It actually reminds me ALOT of COD 4. Graphics are ok but not the best. Command system is very crappy and takes alot of time to get used to. Vehicles, well imagine a tank bumping at the tree at full speed, the tree would fall and tank wouldn't lose any speed, but too bad designers were too lazy, and decided that tank would bump into a tree and lose its all speed. Healing system oh my god. Lets say you get wounded in leg and its bleeding, you would take out the med kit and hold a button for 30 seconds, and the bleeding is gone. At least make an animation to it!!!

:verymad: I am very disappointed at you Bohemia Interactive!!! You were famous for making the best war simulators and now you created a "Call of Duty" game. >:(

Have you tried multi-player yet? It gets worse!

I really do not see a problem with COD type games (other than there might be too many) but i can see your frustration at expecting one thing and getting something entirely different. I hav not purchased OFP:DR or played it based off of what people have said and what i have read from the community as a whole. I did play ARMA/AMRA2 and was also expecting OFP:DR to be along this line of game "mil-sim" but no, you are right they made it into something else.

Have you played COD4? I played it once when it first came out and didn't like it at all, probably because I was used to playing RvS. I don't like having to purchase weapons in a FPS. And I did not like the unlocking thing in FPS either. Then about 3 months ago I started hanging out with SWAT again and they talked me into giving it another try. I found that the unlocking thing in FPS adds to the game and does not take away from it. I still will not play games that make you purchase weapons. It also helps to find the right peopel to play with, if you go into a server full of punks then... but if you play with friends or you meet cool people to play with it makes the experience that much better.

As to your origianl review of OFP:DR it is a shame really that this is the second producer/developer that has chosen to do away with dedicated servers in support of something else. It is almost like they want everyone to purchase consoles and are pushing the PC out. I have as of yet to find a console that can even get close to a serious gaming rig or even a computer set up properly to run the more graphic intensive games out there.

I feel your pain. :wallbash:

It's not the Bohemia Interactive-studio who made this game, actually. You see, the reason it's called Operation Flashpoint 2 despite it's been programmed by a different developer is because Codemasters owned the name Operation Flashpoint. The real sequel to Operation Flashpoint would be ArmA and ArmA 2.

I haven't played Dragon Rising myself (once I heard Bohemia wasn't behind it, my enthusiasm just dried up; Bohemia is one of the few developers who can make realistic games that don't feel like pulling your own teeth) yet, but I'm not surprised it reminds you more of a Call of Duty-game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, Call of Duty is awesome, but still... Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is OFP in name only.

If you want the same, quite insane level of realism and difficulty we had in OFP, then the ArmA-series is where to look. But since I haven't played DR, I can't say whether it should be avoided or if it's fun, too. If Codemasters would rename it and keep developing their new kind of game down the line, we might get a very nice new niche of games, who knows?

All in all, it's not Operation Flashpoint, other than in the title. It's probably still a good game in it's own way, but the 'real' OFP 2 would be the Armed Assault-series.

I played OFP a long time ago an liked it to an extent that it was different.

I then saw a trailer for OFP:DR and also found Arma2 trailers. Both looked very interesting to me but I could not decide which to get so I got neither one (went with an XBOX3 title called Ace Combat 6).

Based on what I see here, I am leaning more towards Arma2 as a possible purchase in the future.

I've got a question for anyone who has Arma2 though;

Will the Arma2 editor allow you to create a terrain to mimic a familiar setting or does it only let you place objects on the existing land mass?

The reason I am asking is that I'd like to setup the terrain on and around my ranch and act out some shootout scenarios which I think would be hilarious.

LHammonds

Gawd, it SUCKS! (If you love the game, don't listen to me, I'm just a looser)

It didn't make any sense, and I would spend hours explaining it's faults :/

As far as I know, you can't edit the terrain or enviroment in the map editor. It seems to work like the Operation Flashpoint-editor: you can drop down some things like props, units and vechicles, but you can't edit the terrain or something like that.

I then saw a trailer for OFP:DR and also found Arma2 trailers. Both looked very interesting to me but I could not decide which to get so I got neither one (went with an XBOX3 title called Ace Combat 6).

Based on what I see here, I am leaning more towards Arma2 as a possible purchase in the future.

Will the Arma2 editor allow you to create a terrain to mimic a familiar setting or does it only let you place objects on the existing land mass?

The reason I am asking is that I'd like to setup the terrain on and around my ranch and act out some shootout scenarios which I think would be hilarious.

LHammonds

No, unless you get unofficial tool and edit terrain.

ArmA 2 is cool, you can play a unofficial multiplayer RPG "chernarus life" :wink: !

LHammonds

No, unless you get unofficial tool and edit terrain.

ArmA 2 is cool, you can play a unofficial multiplayer RPG "chernarus life" :wink: !

wait isn't there something like BI tools and a terrain editor is part of them?