Cakester's Multiplayer Fallout 3 Project

Cakester

Alright! Like I said, maybe just a small arena would be fine, not the whole fallout world. Keep up the good work!

Hey sorry Xano, seems I lost the tab where I was replying to your post earlier. I can say that, atleast for the majority of development of multi-player, things will need to be in a mostly empty environment, which means it will all remain in a different worldspace than the wasteland. However, I will later evaluate the original game's content to see if it would be better to migrate to those areas rather than having to recreate everything. The reason is that I wouldn't feel comfortable saying I made Fallout 3 Multiplayer, if most/all of the game isn't even visitable while online.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still think the best is a small arena. After all, I'm fine with it not being so massive. I really wouldn't mind not being able to roam the wasteland as long as you can fight and play with other people. But it's your choice, I just don't see it very possible. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's able to handle so much at a time. I think, at least, I sure wouldn't know.

Well, I still think the best is a small arena. After all, I'm fine with it not being so massive. I really wouldn't mind not being able to roam the wasteland as long as you can fight and play with other people. But it's your choice, I just don't see it very possible. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's able to handle so much at a time. I think, at least, I sure wouldn't know.

1/100th of a second is the greatest amount of time that it could take to update 1 player. If there was 1,000 players all in the same area:

1,000 * .01 = 10. So it would take 10 seconds before all 1,000 players have been updated on your screen. A bit slow... but what if I could get the speed to 1/1000th? .001 * 1,000 = 1.

I don't know of any online game that wouldn't lag if there was 1,000 players all in one area anyway. Usually to keep lag as low as possible, only when a player is in your area, are they know by the game.

The game has a minimum delay of .0001 for quests. 1000 * .0001? It is 0.1. Which is 1 tenth of a second. There are many things that could slow down the game so relying on the value inputted into quest delay isn't a good idea. But still , I feel what can be handled will mostly be determined by how well I code things.

Alright then, but maybe for stability make the max four player co-op? I also can't see so many people in the Fallout world, there wouldn't even be anything left to kill. Which is why I also feel that making it like those other online games wouldn't be too great. I think I will enjoy it more with a small group of people wandering the wastes than a thousand people wandering around launching MIRV's everywhere. It'll be really hard to just keep grinding to level, as you'd have to make the spawns instantly after the enemies die or you'd have to wait 3 days, and most quests would have to be deleted meaning that the best way to make exp is through killing creatures, which is better in an arena. I'm sure the less the better, right? More stable, less lagg, all that stuff. But I truly wouldn't know, and all this is assumption.

Do you realise that other than just basic fighting you can have a world like world of warcraft that is like sims also? people have thier own places in that world and jobs etc. What kind of server would you need? This is a opertuninty that can replace the job you have now. This hasnt been done before and dont let others steal it from you. first with copyrights win.Please if I can help I will do anything. I dont want money or creditit so you have a game freak who knows alil on design, modeling, etc.

I guess the subject of security came up, or did it? That other thread went *poof* in a big way, but then that same thread on the Beth forums got locked, so probably just as well.

Anyway, I guess if you want to prevent cheating, you really want that to be the server's responsibility since it's pretty much impossible to police on the user's end. That's probably the most complicated and developer-intense part of any multiplayer system.

I guess the subject of security came up, or did it? That other thread went *poof* in a big way, but then that same thread on the Beth forums got locked, so probably just as well.

Anyway, I guess if you want to prevent cheating, you really want that to be the server's responsibility since it's pretty much impossible to police on the user's end. That's probably the most complicated and developer-intense part of any multiplayer system.

The topic was made invisible. And was being investigated, but nothing has happened. I bet it is gone because most of the mods/admins don't have the time to review it.

• 3 weeks later...
Cakester will no longer be modding for Fallout 3 or working on the multiplayer mod for reasons explained in this quote "Due to my misfortunes, and the mistreatment I have received from various communities across the web I am resigning and will not be returning."