The Growing Scourge

Harabec Weathers

i too agree with the whole DLC adding too much money

but what would you rether buy? a 120$ game? or a game that costs 60 and two other "games" that cost 30$

you decide

Its just supposed to make you think your spending less money thats the whole point

my friend, you and i are thinking on the same level

thats why they say "five payments of 20$"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DLC is the first step towards pay for play 10$ for ten minutes

I wouldn't go that far. Even those people with money that they can literally throw at games wouldn't put up with something like that (you know, the ones who toss away $50-$100 on a weekly basis for some "free" to play MMOs). As plans and deployments progress, eventually the execs will figure out the rules of how DLC can be fully utilized... Until then we have to put up with all their attempts.

Fortunately, there are still some smaller developers, like stardock, who atleast show some understanding about what players want. For the most part, Bethsoft isn't all that bad either.

Have to remember, for a DLC, countless hours of work might be needed from people being paid $20-$40 an hour. It isn't volunteer work like community mods, so the price has to be something which can make up the costs of production and data transfers as well as make profit. So, as long as it isn't something extremely small and uncomplicated, the price might actually be justified.

The biggest evil that is sometimes done however, mostly in the case of EA, is in completely removing all alternatives to that purchased content, shipping out games which are purposely lacking, AND charging an arm and a leg for something that most people playing that game might want. Compared to the minor Fallout 3 and Oblivion DLCs, although some parts of that DLC look to be pulled directly from the game before release, the game is still completely playable and enjoyable. Likewise, the DLCs offered are mostly framed as "additional content that you might want" instead of "content you could play without, but you won't have much variety".

At any rate, one day we will probably see game companies offering an affiliate program for their moddable games that allows enthusiasts to sell game mods for their own prices, but have to pay a liscensing fee, or a portion of the sales to the company from every download... When that happens, the scourge of the DLC will officially end, and instead we will be left to deal with the greedy modders. That is both a good thing and a bad thing depending on which side of the fence you happen to be on and how you look at it.

What happend to the good old games where you buy once and thats it now if you want to play something to its fullest you have to pay 30$ more for something you should have gotten in the first place I hope that the game producers relize their mistake and change gaming back to the way it should be

i dont think it will ever happen, people like money too much... asking them to stop dlc is pretty much like asking them to stop wanting to get paid

DLC pisses me off. Because it's "Buy more ungodly expensive stuff to compensate for our lack of effort" in a neat pretty wrapper. And it's never gonna change because people just don't care. They get unlimited funds from their parents so who cares if they have to pay an extra 120+ dollars as long as they get what they want. And these gaming companies realize this and are milking it for all it's worth.

There's a reason I've never given up the old games, and that's not only because they were fun no matter what, but they could last you weeks alone where these new games, plus their DLC seems to last you a total of a day at the most now. I wish their was an easy way to get them to stop this short of the extreme but I doubt it. And no ones gonna be boycotting games any time soon. Proof of that are the ones who tried to organize a group to boycott CoD Modern Warfare 2 because they wanted moddable servers, then go ahead and buy the game the day it comes out.

I'm getting in to game development at college, but I do realize that the only way to counter a problem like this would be to start my own company. And from research I did back in high school, starting game companies is much more difficult than you'd imagine.

And on a less serious note, I started a joke group on facebook called "DLC no more" :P

DLC pisses me off. Because it's "Buy more ungodly expensive stuff to compensate for our lack of effort" in a neat pretty wrapper. And it's never gonna change because people just don't care. They get unlimited funds from their parents so who cares if they have to pay an extra 120+ dollars as long as they get what they want. And these gaming companies realize this and are milking it for all it's worth.

There's a reason I've never given up the old games, and that's not only because they were fun no matter what, but they could last you weeks alone where these new games, plus their DLC seems to last you a total of a day at the most now. I wish their was an easy way to get them to stop this short of the extreme but I doubt it. And no ones gonna be boycotting games any time soon.

Thats exactly my point I realize they are trying stuff out but with people saying stuff like this they have to realize that they are destroying gaming as we know it I can remember shooting nazis in medal of honor on the original playstation if anyone ever played that I think you could agree with me that that is what a first person shooter should be (probaly should have better graphics) you shouldnt have to buy one section of the game and if you like it buy the rest of it. It destroys the principle

Proof of that are the ones who tried to organize a group to boycott CoD Modern Warfare 2 because they wanted moddable servers, then go ahead and buy the game the day it comes out.

and they'll be the one moaning and complaining when the next game requires a fee to play online, had they voted with their wallets the crooks at Activision might have thought twice.